Celebrity Cruisers Beware!

2 4 the Road

We find it interesting that so many cruisers are OK with a cruise line that cancels a loyal paying customer in order to further their profits. Having are own business we are aware how one must keep the bottom line in the black, but on the other hand we also want to reward our loyal customers for their business. We are from a generation that was taught that loyalty was one priority that should never be understated. We do appreciate the kind words of the fellow explorers that understood our frustration with this unfortunate experience. Since we have never experienced this type of behavior from a cruise company in the 20 years of exploring the world, I guess we just must have been lucky. We simply wanted others, perhaps the new adventurers to cruising, to be aware of the possibilities that this could happen to them. If more of the cruising public would start to complain and stop using companies that show no loyalty to their customers, perhaps someone in power would wake up and start showing some respect to the people who make their company what it is.

We find it interesting that so many cruisers are OK with a cruise line that cancels a loyal paying customer in order to further their profits. Having are own business we are aware how one must keep the bottom line in the black, but on the other hand we also want to reward our loyal customers for their business. We are from a generation that was taught that loyalty was one priority that should never be understated. We do appreciate the kind words of the fellow explorers that understood our frustration with this unfortunate experience. Since we have never experienced this type of behavior from a cruise company in the 20 years of exploring the world, I guess we just must have been lucky. We simply wanted others, perhaps the new adventurers to cruising, to be aware of the possibilities that this could happen to them. If more of the cruising public would start to complain and stop using companies that show no loyalty to their customers, perhaps someone in power would wake up and start showing some respect to the people who make their company what it is.

I can say with all assuredness that no one who responded to your post on this thread or anyone else on any other thread on cruise critic, for that matter, does not understand or identify with your frustration. It was your thinking by way of your original post that most (including myself) took issue with. It is a small inconvenience for you and anyone else (including myself) who has had this happen to them. As I said in my other response, your sailing is a year and a half away, many months to rethink your plans. If you feel that strongly about Celebrity's way of doing things, look elsewhere for your vacations. This will be my last response to you, because I have no desire to get into a debate about this.

So basically what you are saying is that no cruising companies should ever take a charter. Sounds like a really foolish plan to me. Do you expect groups to plan these kinds of things 10 years ahead, maybe 5, how about 2? Not very likely. I understand that you feel frustrated but truthfully you have plenty of notice and your frustration is overblown, especially if this is your first experience in 20 years of exploration. By the way, exactly how loyal have you been to the Celebrity product?

Edited by Ma Bell

I can say with all assuredness that no one who responded to your post on this thread or anyone else on any other thread on cruise critic, for that matter, does not understand or identify with your frustration. It was your thinking by way of your original post that most (including myself) took issue with. It is a small inconvenience for you and anyone else (including myself) who has had this happen to them. As I said in my other response, your sailing is a year and a half away, many months to rethink your plans. If you feel that strongly about Celebrity's way of doing things, look elsewhere for your vacations. This will be my last response to you, because I have no desire to get into a debate about this.

It's quite presumptuous of you to say it's a "small inconvenience".

A change of plans may be a big inconvenience because of date, length of cruise, selection of ports, port of departure or a number of other reasons.

It's not a good thing to be so judgmental.

As a result of researching a definitive answer to your question, it appears that due to the difficult economy in Puerto Rico with the debt crisis and the fear over the Zika virus, major airlines from the NY\NJ have reduced their fares by 36% or more in the last few months. Fares are back in the $325 range. Maybe this will spur demand.

Thank you for clarifying. I was confused with your first post stating that the flights to Puerto Rico were high. I recently checked and flights to Puerto Rico were less than flights to Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach from JFK.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If more of the cruising public would start to complain ...

Clearly, you are new here. ;) For the most part, complaining is not something that most of us are shy about! :D

But, seriously -- we all have our "deal-breaker" issues. If this is one for you, then you definitely should let Celebrity know how you feel.

I did not ask where you got your information because I needed validation, but because I find it interesting that it can be found, & would like to investigate it.

Jeeesh, lighten up! I'll do a search mysekf. Thanks for your help.

I meant no disrespect, and have absolutely no idea why you're so angry. My response about not giving the website was in regards to a few posters wanting where I found the information, but not a jab at you. I assume you know that travel websites cannot be posted here.

As far as my validation comment, again it was NOT directed at you, but in response to post number 29, who said my "Raw numbers " were meaningless. That's what I meant by validation.

So, I hope I'm lightened up enough for you so you know that nothing in my post was even slightly directed at you.

This review is to warn anyone who is contemplating cruising with Celebrity Cruise Line. On August 4 my husband and I were notified that our 2018 cruise from San Juan, Puerto Rico had been cancelled. Please keep in mind that we have had this reservation since late March 2016. We had tried to take this exact trip slated for January 2017 but were told the cruise had been cancelled. So after being told it was in for repair, we proceeded to book the 2018 cruise date.

Now this exact cruise, for the second time, has been cancelled. Upon further investigation I have uncovered that Celebrity Cruise has thrown everyone that booked on this cruise off so they could sell the complete booking to a company not only for the 2018 date but also the 2017 sailing. Which means, Celebrity Cruise has no loyalty to its booked customers. All that matters to Celebrity is the almighty dollar!

We have cruised for over 20 years with different cruise lines and never once has a cruise line kicked us off a booked and deposit paid cruise. This little game of booking a listed cruise until something better comes along is totally wrong. They have disrupted many planned vacations without so much as a truthful explanation of why. I assume it is easier to say the cruise was cancelled instead of we don’t care that we have spoiled your planned vacation for a better offer from someone else. They offered to rebook us on the December sailing of this itinerary but we would be flying home the day before Christmas plus we would have to pay an additional amount due to an increase in the fare. Since we are senior travelers, with more years behind us than in front, being with family is very important to us which made this not an option.

We, and I assume many other passengers, are left to get their refunds from whatever source they used to pay for this trip. Thank goodness we did not make airline or hotel reservations. We did, however, purchase travel insurance and were told we could not receive a refund due to the time cancellation policy even though it was not our fault that the cruise was cancelled by Celebrity. After many phone conversations and endless time with several representatives, we were able to receive an exception and were granted the full refund of our purchase of travel insurance. This inconvenience is one more factor that Celebrity Cruise caused with this unwarranted cruise cancellation.

Celebrity Cruise should be ashamed of itself for listing a cruise and not living up to its responsibility of providing the service they so proudly tout. This disrupting a cruise of so many customers because they received a better offer should be a warning to anyone who sails with them. Your planned trip could be next! Celebrity Cruise is not looking out for anyone but themselves and will “throw anyone overboard” that may already have a paid reservation. Traveler Beware, Celebrity Cruise Line newsletters usually have a “Thank You for Your Loyally” remark in them, but experiencing their “thank you” first hand, we know that Celebrity Cruise Line and its’ executives have only one agenda, the bottom line, not the consumer.:mad:

The bottom line is $$$$$.

I meant no disrespect, and have absolutely no idea why you're so angry. My response about not giving the website was in regards to a few posters wanting where I found the information, but not a jab at you. I assume you know that travel websites cannot be posted here.

As far as my validation comment, again it was NOT directed at you, but in response to post number 29, who said my "Raw numbers " were meaningless. That's what I meant by validation.

So, I hope I'm lightened up enough for you so you know that nothing in my post was even slightly directed at you.

Ok, that's my bad (twice on this thread!..see above). Peace! I did not think it was a TA site,so thiught it would be ok to share.

Edited by richsea

Passengers are not allowed to cancel without harsh penalties so why should the cruise lines be able to do this?

When a cruise is canceled because a group charters the ship, it typically is announced well over a year in advance. If you cancel your cruise well over a year in advance, there are no harsh penalties imposed (at least not in the US, where your post indicates you live.)

Well it could be useful to American cruise passengers as one airline allows one way fares from the US (at great prices) and then for those US cruisers who were affected by the cancellation of the Equinox Barcelona sailings could have, like me, booked with one of the 2 companies who provide services from the UK to many Europeans destinations.

I don't consider it an exception, but that's my opinion. Just trying to clarify and be helpful, but as usual of it's not centred around the US it's discounted out of hand.:(

Your opinion isn't based in fact. The vast majority of airlines don't allow booking until 11 months out. So yes, the few that do would statistically be comsidered an exception.

You're correct in that a FEW Americans could benefit if they happen to be among the miniscule number of pax booking flights from the US to Europe on the single airline you referred to. Again though..... clearly an exception, not the rule when you look at the numbers.

When a cruise is canceled because a group charters the ship, it typically is announced well over a year in advance. If you cancel your cruise well over a year in advance, there are no harsh penalties imposed (at least not in the US, where your post indicates you live.)

That is an interesting statement as most cruises are released around 2 years out. So if your statement is typical, we could suggest that there is a 6 month window that cruise lines retail customers book their cruise with the possibility of their retail cruise being cancelled in favor of a charter.

If this is true, I question why a cruise line does not push for charters to get their act together 6 months earlier, providing some financial incentive, i.e. what they may have to compensate the cancelled retail passengers. Makes no sense to me from a customer satisfaction/customer service/customer retention/customer 'telling the story over and over about a bad experience' perspective. I can assure you I love to tell stories, both good and bad and know that I can have a positive or negative effect on a company sales, slight as it may be, but also know that the effect can be large over time. I like to talk. :)

Wonder if anyone has tracked this issue? Wonder if anyone has gotten an honest answer from a high level corporate exec about their policy of pushing aside retail customers in favor of a charter?

For sure there are lots of sailings that will never be chartered, which makes it even more odd that charters are allowed to be disruptive IMHO.

As to your comment about no harsh penalties, that might be true in that most reservations are refundable or cancelable within the timeframe you have indicated.

That is an interesting statement as most cruises are released around 2 years out. So if your statement is typical, we could suggest that there is a 6 month window that cruise lines retail customers book their cruise with the possibility of their retail cruise being cancelled in favor of a charter.

If this is true, I question why a cruise line does not push for charters to get their act together 6 months earlier, providing some financial incentive, i.e. what they may have to compensate the cancelled retail passengers.

I don't know much about the process of chartering a cruise, but I do know something about the process of booking musical acts. Artists don't generally book two years out it seems unlikely to me that promoters would want to commit to the expense and especially the calendar with that kind of extended time frame. If you're organizing Popular Jazz Cruise #11 you may be somewhat more willing to do so knowing you have an established brand and can work with the right talent, but if you're putting together Disco Fever Cruise #1 you're dealing with a variety of risks.

Not applicable for every charter of course and agreed that it is extremely disappointing to have plans cancelled out from under you but my two cents on why these kinds of things happen despite consumer frustration.

I don't know much about the process of chartering a cruise, but I do know something about the process of booking musical acts. Artists don't generally book two years out it seems unlikely to me that promoters would want to commit to the expense and especially the calendar with that kind of extended time frame. If you're organizing Popular Jazz Cruise #11 you may be somewhat more willing to do so knowing you have an established brand and can work with the right talent, but if you're putting together Disco Fever Cruise #1 you're dealing with a variety of risks.

Not applicable for every charter of course and agreed that it is extremely disappointing to have plans cancelled out from under you but my two cents on why these kinds of things happen despite consumer frustration.

I think this may be a situation where two similar things are being confused. One, a passenger booking a themed (charter) cruise with an agency (Acme Cruises) and the agency (the agency putting together the charter - Acme Cruises) booking the charter with the cruise line.

The agency will advertise its themed cruise two years in advance. If the cruise is not selling well, the agency will simply notify everyone and refund their deposits. However, once a charter is booked the agency is agreeing to certain minimums. So the agency has to be sure of its position before booking the charter. On the flip side they cannot wait too long. Once you get within a year the there are obstacles to being able to charter a ship. The number of book passengers being one of them.

If memory servers me correctly, someone chartered a ship out from under me (on Carnival) about nine months out. It was no big deal for me, as it was a drive to port. So I booked the same cruise two weeks earlier or later (again, I don't remember which).

The last one is a little more recent. I was booked on a January 2017 cruise on the NCL Pearl. In August of last year (so about sixteen months out) I found out that the ship was being chartered by the Trekkies. So I moved to the December cruise. The December cruise is one day longer and costs about $2,400 less. However, I liked the other itinerary better. Still, an extra day for $2,400 less on the same ship in the same cabin doing basically the same itinerary is not bad.

Edited by Cuizer2

This review is to warn anyone who is contemplating cruising with Celebrity Cruise Line. On August 4 my husband and I were notified that our 2018 cruise from San Juan, Puerto Rico had been cancelled. Please keep in mind that we have had this reservation since late March 2016. We had tried to take this exact trip slated for January 2017 but were told the cruise had been cancelled. So after being told it was in for repair, we proceeded to book the 2018 cruise date.

Now this exact cruise, for the second time, has been cancelled. Upon further investigation I have uncovered that Celebrity Cruise has thrown everyone that booked on this cruise off so they could sell the complete booking to a company not only for the 2018 date but also the 2017 sailing. Which means, Celebrity Cruise has no loyalty to its booked customers. All that matters to Celebrity is the almighty dollar!

We have cruised for over 20 years with different cruise lines and never once has a cruise line kicked us off a booked and deposit paid cruise. This little game of booking a listed cruise until something better comes along is totally wrong. They have disrupted many planned vacations without so much as a truthful explanation of why. I assume it is easier to say the cruise was cancelled instead of we don’t care that we have spoiled your planned vacation for a better offer from someone else. They offered to rebook us on the December sailing of this itinerary but we would be flying home the day before Christmas plus we would have to pay an additional amount due to an increase in the fare. Since we are senior travelers, with more years behind us than in front, being with family is very important to us which made this not an option.

We, and I assume many other passengers, are left to get their refunds from whatever source they used to pay for this trip. Thank goodness we did not make airline or hotel reservations. We did, however, purchase travel insurance and were told we could not receive a refund due to the time cancellation policy even though it was not our fault that the cruise was cancelled by Celebrity. After many phone conversations and endless time with several representatives, we were able to receive an exception and were granted the full refund of our purchase of travel insurance. This inconvenience is one more factor that Celebrity Cruise caused with this unwarranted cruise cancellation.

Celebrity Cruise should be ashamed of itself for listing a cruise and not living up to its responsibility of providing the service they so proudly tout. This disrupting a cruise of so many customers because they received a better offer should be a warning to anyone who sails with them. Your planned trip could be next! Celebrity Cruise is not looking out for anyone but themselves and will “throw anyone overboard” that may already have a paid reservation. Traveler Beware, Celebrity Cruise Line newsletters usually have a “Thank You for Your Loyally” remark in them, but experiencing their “thank you” first hand, we know that Celebrity Cruise Line and its’ executives have only one agenda, the bottom line, not the consumer.:mad:

Great to see this kind of issue highlighted. People who are considering this cruise line need to be informed of the risks particularly as many visit cruise critic.

Great to see this kind of issue highlighted. People who are considering this cruise line need to be informed of the risks particularly as many visit cruise critic.

I take it that you did not read any of the other posts before posting.

I don't know much about the process of chartering a cruise, but I do know something about the process of booking musical acts. Artists don't generally book two years out

You misquoted me. I am not the one who questioned cruises booking charters 6 months earlier. You quoted someone who was quoting me.

We had a cruise cancelled 6 months before by another cruise company & yes, we did lose the money we'd forked out for airfares.

At least you have not lost money.

Sorry that it has happened to you, we did the repositioning cruise with Celebrity from Puerto Rico & loved it.

Waterbug,

Not sure what happened. For sure would not want to misquote anyone.

Will go back and see if I can figure out what happened. Thanks for letting me know.

I just checked and thought I copied your first paragraph of post #89. Not sure where/how the rest came to be in the form it is.

Edited by shipshape sam

• 1 month later...