Tips included in cruise fare, and reasons why not?

Ex techie

Not sure how you feel you are being fleeced. If the United States followed the English way, they would raise the price now being paid for the food, because they would raise the salaries of the servers, and then if service was bad, you wouldn't have any recourse. The way we do it, the food is less expensive, because we don't incorporate all of the servers wages in it, and we tip based on service. I usually tip 20% for good service, but have tipped less and none for bad service, but under your system I would be stuck paying the whole thing if the service is lousy.

But surely people deserve to be paid a fair wage based on the work they do not on the generosity or not of whoever patronises the restaurant??

Also, if you are ever pestered or hounded to leave a tip, don't leave a tip and let the Manager know that you are not leaving a tip because you were pestered about

EVERY place I have eaten in the US I have felt pestered and hounded. The difference I think is Brits like to eat leisurely meal maybe lasting a couple of hours and do not appreciate the gobble and go mentality of eating in the US.

And HATE the consistent asking of, how was your food, are you having a nice day etc etc etc.

Not sure how you feel you are being fleeced. If the United States followed the English way, they would raise the price now being paid for the food, because they would raise the salaries of the servers, and then if service was bad, you wouldn't have any recourse. The way we do it, the food is less expensive, because we don't incorporate all of the servers wages in it, and we tip based on service. I usually tip 20% for good service, but have tipped less and none for bad service, but under your system I would be stuck paying the whole thing if the service is lousy.

Also, if you are ever pestered or hounded to leave a tip, don't leave a tip and let the Manager know that you are not leaving a tip because you were pestered about it.

There was a chain here, Joe's Crab Shack, that did a non-tipping test in 18 of their restaurants (they have over 130 locations), where they raised the menu prices 12% to 15%. They raised their server's wages to $12-$14 an hour versus what they received when they got tips, which I think was $2-$3 an hour. At the end of the test 60% of their customers disliked the non-tipping policy (they lost some customers in those stores, I think I read 8% to 10%) and they went back to the old "tipping" system in 14 of the 18 locations (BTW none of Florida's 13 locations were included in the test).

There is a movement at high end NYC eateries to eliminate tips. Their philosophy is that the back of house (chefs) have as much or more to do with your dining experience as the wait staff, but by law they cannot share in the tips. They increased prices 20%, and eliminated the line for tips altogether on the receipt.

There is a movement at high end NYC eateries to eliminate tips. Their philosophy is that the back of house (chefs) have as much or more to do with your dining experience as the wait staff, but by law they cannot share in the tips. They increased prices 20%, and eliminated the line for tips altogether on the receipt.
A number of restaurants have done this, some have gone back to the old way because customers didn't feel that the service was as good and they also lost customers because they raised the price of the food, since some didn't quite understand offset the tip and some have stayed with the non-tipping policy. It will be interesting if this trend continues. What I also thought was interesting is that Joe's Crab Shack didn't do the test in any of their Florida locations.

I'd rather stick with the tipping, as it is quit frustrating when I go to a country and all the wages are built into the menu price and then when the service is lousy, there is no recourse and unfortunately happen in other countries.

Edited by NLH Arizona

EVERY place I have eaten in the US I have felt pestered and hounded. The difference I think is Brits like to eat leisurely meal maybe lasting a couple of hours and do not appreciate the gobble and go mentality of eating in the US.

And HATE the consistent asking of, how was your food, are you having a nice day etc etc etc.

Then you are obviously eating at lower end table service places. Try an upscale place where they expect to turn tables once if at all and your experience will last two to five hours. Service will be discreet but present at the times it should be.

Then you are obviously eating at lower end table service places. Try an upscale place where they expect to turn tables once if at all and your experience will last two to five hours. Service will be discreet but present at the times it should be.

Sadly true Sadly true Ducklite unfortunately where my relatives Live have very few to none upscale restaurants

Also, if you are ever pestered or hounded to leave a tip, don't leave a tip and let the Manager know that you are not leaving a tip because you were pestered about it.

There was a chain here, Joe's Crab Shack, that did a non-tipping test in 18 of their restaurants (they have over 130 locations), where they raised the menu prices 12% to 15%. They raised their server's wages to $12-$14 an hour versus what they received when they got tips, which I think was $2-$3 an hour. At the end of the test 60% of their customers disliked the non-tipping policy (they lost some customers in those stores, I think I read 8% to 10%) and they went back to the old "tipping" system in 14 of the 18 locations (BTW none of Florida's 13 locations were included in the test).

Not true, you can always ask for the service charge to be reduced or eliminated entirely.

In UK law the Consumer Rights Act states that reasonable care and skill should be shown when providing a service. If the service provided falls below standard you can refuse to pay part or all of the charge depending on how bad the service is.

Some people believe if tips are included in the cruise price the standard of service will decline. In my 8 years of cruising on a no tips required line I have seen no evidence of this.

Not true, you can always ask for the service charge to be reduced or eliminated entirely.

In UK law the Consumer Rights Act states that reasonable care and skill should be shown when providing a service. If the service provided falls below standard you can refuse to pay part or all of the charge depending on how bad the service is.

Some people believe if tips are included in the cruise price the standard of service will decline. In my 8 years of cruising on a no tips required line I have seen no evidence of this.

If they happen to have a service charge, but what if they don't and just incorporate the server's wages in the menu price like some do?

If they happen to have a service charge, but what if they don't and just incorporate the server's wages in the menu price like some do?

I guess you make a complaint to the management, and don't go back?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Short story: The American crew must be paid a minimum wage, and they receive tips on top of that. They must pay income taxes on both.

The payroll for Pride of America is approximately 1000% higher than an international cruise ship with a similar size crew.

Obviously still profitable ??? You must be kidding.

There are many very creative ways to calculate profit or loss. If you erase the $3 Billion that Star Cruises / Genting / NCL invested in the ill-conceived NCL America project, yes, they are making a profit.

One quick example on cruise ship employee salaries and tips............

Filipino cruise ship employees must be legally hired ONLY in the Philippines. This is a requirement of the Philippine government. The hiring MUST be through an officially sanctioned and licensed recruiting agency (read big payoffs to government officials). Potential Filipino seamen are required to pay a number of substantial "fees" to the recruiting agency for safety training and administrative procedures.

When the Filipino seaman is "hired", that is, presented to the cruise line, he/she is required to sign a union contract, negotiated between the maritime Union, recruiter, Phillipine government, and the cruise line.

If the seaman is a service employee (receiving tips, service charge, whatever), the daily salary is around US$ 1.00 per day plus tips.

Every month, the Philippine government requires the cruise line to wire a large percentage of the seafarer's salary back to the Philippines, through the recruiter. This allows 2 things to happen: 1) The Philippine government gets to tax those earnings - but only after the recruiter has fiddled with the exchange rate a bit, and deducted some "administrative fees".

If the gratuities/tips/service charges are considered as part of the seaman's salary, the recruiter has the opportunity to fiddle with these funds, and then the Phillipine government takes their cut.

If the gratuities/tips/service charges are not considered part of the seaman's salary, the recruiter and Phillipine government cannot get their hands on most of this money.

One might argue that it is a good thing to have the government see ALL the earnings of the seaman - instead of just a small percentage.

One can also argue that if the recruiter and government are allowed to take a large cut of the seaman's salary, he will need a larger salary to cover his losses to taxes and other manipulations of the money he earns. This requires the cruise lines to pay higher salaries to remain competitive. Higher salaries translate to higher cruise fares for you.

Since I do not have to pay for cruises, I vote that we include gratuities/tips/service charges in the overall fares and increase them to the same levels that NCL charges for Pride of America.

Are you with me?

Thanks for your post Bruce.

Going back to the topic of the thread, do you know what happens on cruises/lines that offer included grats then?

I'm sure there must be a large filipino crew on cruises from Britain, and even RCI offer included grats occasionally?

ex techie

Have only been in one gratuities included line, it wasn't the worst service, but with two exceptions, far from the best. And out cabin steward was terrible, and did some very disturbing things in our cabin.

I never feel pestered or hounded when a waiter returns to ask if everything is all right. Perhaps everything is fine ..... If so politely say so! Chances are someone at the table wants something......usually a free drink refill (never seem to get in the UK!), perhaps someone has decided they would like water in addition to their ordered beverage, more napkins for messy food, additional condiments, the list goes on. Prefer to be asked rather than eat without getting what I want.

Also, perhaps you are eating at chain or fast-food locations and not at "true restaurants or supper clubs."

Thanks for your post Bruce.

Going back to the topic of the thread, do you know what happens on cruises/lines that offer included grats then?

I'm sure there must be a large filipino crew on cruises from Britain, and even RCI offer included grats occasionally?

ex techie

Sorry, I do not have an answer to that particular question.

But on a related issue, I have witnessed many dramas on ships where the gratuities are discretionary, and the majority of passengers are Brits and/or Aussies. On those voyages, a large percentage of the tipping pool was absent; the crew worked very hard, but earned nearly nothing. There were many meetings about strikes, resignations, violence, etc. In most cases the cruise line "borrows" money from the tip pools on other vessels to cover the losses. As you can imagine, this move doesn't entirely thrill the service staff on the other ships. The unfortunate result is a very negative feeling for British and Australian passengers, caused in part by the cruise line's reluctance to do the right thing.

I worked in the NCL America head office for the first year of operations, hiring staff and negotiating contracts.

The payroll numbers for the American Ship exceeded the entire operating budget for one of the international ships.

We had to transfer quite a few Filipinos (who held Green Cards) from the international fleet contracts to the NCL-A ships. They were thrilled. Their jobs were easier, their earnings soared from $1 per day plus tips to some amazing numbers, and we were not required to send their earnings back to the Filipines to have the agencies and government take their cut.

But on a related issue, I have witnessed many dramas on ships where the gratuities are discretionary, and the majority of passengers are Brits and/or Aussies. On those voyages, a large percentage of the tipping pool was absent; the crew worked very hard, but earned nearly nothing. There were many meetings about strikes, resignations, violence, etc. In most cases the cruise line "borrows" money from the tip pools on other vessels to cover the losses. As you can imagine, this move doesn't entirely thrill the service staff on the other ships. The unfortunate result is a very negative feeling for British and Australian passengers, caused in part by the cruise line's reluctance to do the right thing.

I worked in the NCL America head office for the first year of operations, hiring staff and negotiating contracts.

The payroll numbers for the American Ship exceeded the entire operating budget for one of the international ships.

We had to transfer quite a few Filipinos (who held Green Cards) from the international fleet contracts to the NCL-A ships. They were thrilled. Their jobs were easier, their earnings soared from $1 per day plus tips to some amazing numbers, and we were not required to send their earnings back to the Filipines to have the agencies and government take their cut.

Thanks!

That is an eyeopening post! Unbelievable that they would steal the tips from other CM's on other ships!

They sound like a horrible line to work for.

As I said in another post, the POA must be making a profit, just not as much as internationally flagged NCL ships, or they would reflag her and port her elsewhere.

Out of interest, why were their jobs easier?

ex techie

Is there a way that NCL or any other cruise line for that fact, can make the service charges/gratuities mandatory for those non-tipping cultures? It really doesn't seem fair that some of us tip on our ship and some of that money goes to another ship, where there are those folks that won't tip. I also wonder if the increased fares has anything to do with those that refuse to tip? Edited by NLH Arizona

Is NCL the only line you worked for?

Is there a way that NCL or any other cruise line for that fact, can make the service charges/gratuities mandatory for those non-tipping cultures? It really doesn't seem fair that some of us tip on our ship and some of that money goes to another ship, where there are those folks that won't tip. I also wonder if the increased fares has anything to do with those that refuse to tip?

I would think that would be classed as discriminatory!

There are plenty of American folk who are too cheap to tip!

And if the tips are all pooled, using service quality as a reason to remove or lower tips affects every other server that might have provided excellent service. That seems unfair to me also.

ex techie

I would think that would be classed as discriminatory!

There are plenty of American folk who are too cheap to tip!

And if the tips are all pooled, using service quality as a reason to remove or lower tips affects every other server that might have provided excellent service. That seems unfair to me also.

ex techie

Not sure it would be discriminatory. Just as those who book through the UK site get free gratuities on the UBP, even though we all know it is included in their fare because nothing is free, and that doesn't happen here in the US.

Not sure it would be discriminatory. Just as those who book through the UK site get free gratuities on the UBP, even though we all know it is included in their fare because nothing is free, and that doesn't happen here in the US.

Ok, so if we go along with your idea, we are saying all Brits and Aussies have to mandatorily pay their tips, and they have bad service, what do they do? They cannot reduce them? How does that mean service is kept at a high standard for them?

And BTW, I think the proportion of them not paying was not high enough for NCL to introduce a DSC fleet wide instead of tips. I think the fight to get the price of the cruise as low as possible and attract new cruisers and the problem is equally at home as it is on the other side of the pond.

ex techie

Ok, so if we go along with your idea, we are saying all Brits and Aussies have to mandatorily pay their tips, and they have bad service, what do they do? They cannot reduce them? How does that mean service is kept at a high standard for them?

And BTW, I think the proportion of them not paying was not high enough for NCL to introduce a DSC fleet wide instead of tips. I think the fight to get the price of the cruise as low as possible and attract new cruisers and the problem is equally at home as it is on the other side of the pond.

ex techie

You could ask that question to GUT2407 who said this on the other thread: I mainly cruise Princess inAustralia so they are included in the fare. Booking Princess in US and they say tips are discretionary.

I remember seeing a post from a poster whose son worked for the NCL ship based in Europe and she said he told her the a big majority of the passengers didn't pay the DSC and how disappointed the crew was because they busted their butts for the passengers and got stiffed.

You could ask that question to GUT2407 who said this on the other thread: I mainly cruise Princess inAustralia so they are included in the fare. Booking Princess in US and they say tips are discretionary.

I remember seeing a post from a poster whose son worked for the NCL ship based in Europe and she said he told her the a big majority of the passengers didn't pay the DSC and how disappointed the crew was because they busted their butts for the passengers and got stiffed.

If Princess advertises that tips are only discretionary, then they are the same as DCL.

"It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of exceptional service, which you’ll receive in abundance aboard the ship. The following amounts are provided as a suggestion, but the gratuity you pay is always at your discretion:"

And Carnival:

"It is customary to extend gratuities (tips) to the shipboard staff for their services. How much to tip is a personal matter and completely up to our guests."

RCI is too convoluted to try to post.

They suggest a tip. They do not mandate one.

HAL on the other hand say this:

"Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage. The Hotel Service Charge is paid entirely to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. "

You said above that "Just as those who book through the UK site get free gratuities on the UBP, even though we all know it is included in their fare because nothing is free" then the DSC would have been paid by NCL, or NCL stiffed them?

ex techie

If Princess advertises that tips are only discretionary, then they are the same as DCL.

"It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of exceptional service, which you’ll receive in abundance aboard the ship. The following amounts are provided as a suggestion, but the gratuity you pay is always at your discretion:"

And Carnival:

"It is customary to extend gratuities (tips) to the shipboard staff for their services. How much to tip is a personal matter and completely up to our guests."

RCI is too convoluted to try to post.

They suggest a tip. They do not mandate one.

HAL on the other hand say this:

"Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage. The Hotel Service Charge is paid entirely to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. "

You said above that "Just as those who book through the UK site get free gratuities on the UBP, even though we all know it is included in their fare because nothing is free" then the DSC would have been paid by NCL, or NCL stiffed them?

ex techie

I've never purchased a cruise through Princess Australia, so I have no idea. Better to ask GUT2407 how it works in Australia.

I have no idea what you are getting at with regard to the UK getting free gratuities on the UBP and then going on about the DSC. The gratuities on the UBP is something totally different than the DSC. The bartenders get the gratuities on the UBP. The other crew members get their salary from the DSC.

I'm done.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I've never purchased a cruise through Princess Australia, so I have no idea. Better to ask GUT2407 how it works in Australia.

I have no idea what you are getting at with regard to the UK getting free gratuities on the UBP and then going on about the DSC. The gratuities on the UBP is something totally different than the DSC. The bartenders get the gratuities on the UBP. The other crew members get their salary from the DSC.

I'm done.

I don't know what a UBP is?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Thanks!

That is an eyeopening post! Unbelievable that they would steal the tips from other CM's on other ships!

As I said in another post, the POA must be making a profit, just not as much as internationally flagged NCL ships, or they would reflag her and port her elsewhere.

ex techie

Bruce is quite right that the Aloha's (we were the first ship, ahead of the POA after she sank in the yard)crew cost the first year was astronomical. Unlike international crew, the USCG requires that all crew be credentialed merchant mariners, so this requires additional training and documentation fees (including an FBI background check). NCL also opened a training facility at a union school to train potential crew what shipboard life would be like. It costs NCL about $8000 just to get a fully documented dishwasher to walk up the gangway the first time. That first year, with a crew of about 900, the Aloha went through probably 3000 crew. I remember one who walked onboard and quit within 45 minutes. It has since gotten better, not great, but better. As I've posted before about the POA, there is not a pool of available cabin stewards like there are in the Philippines, where one call gets a crew member on the next flight, the POA must find someone to spend the time getting documentation, and this results in frequent short staffing.

One reason the jobs might be easier is that crew demographics were shifted when the casino was removed, therefore allowing additional berths for other jobs like housekeeping and F&B.

Thanks!

ex techie

I wasn't talking about any particular cruise line taking tips from other ships. Many cruise lines have done this. The companies refuse to change the tipping system, as including tips in the fare makes it appear to be more expensive to the cruising public. It is far easier to have the other crew pay for the shortcomings of the system.

You need to take a much more detailed view of POA.

The ship sank at the German wet dock where is was being "rebuilt" after the original shipyard completely screwed it up (and then went bankrupt).

They were never able to get all the salt water out of the inside of the ship. This will no doubt result in an earlier retirement for this ship.

Have you seen POA? On the exterior, it has to be one of the ugliest cruise ships ever built.

The interior is quite nice, but extremely "American". Sort of a Disneyland version of Washington DC. Most non-Americans find it a bit bizarre and confusing. Reflagging it and moving it elsewhere would require an extremely expensive interior renovation, in order to cater to an international clientele.

The ship currently operates as a hotel that floats between the islands overnight. It is just a place for tourists to sleep between renting cars to tour the islands during the day.

No casino, very little entertainment, no duty free shopping, very few shore excursions, very little spa activity, drinks more expensive onboard than they are onshore, limited photos. The ship is mostly empty during the daytime.

The entire NCL-A project was based on the fact that an American Flag cruise ship in Hawaii cannot make a profit. Taxes, high labor costs, lack of Duty Free goods and alcohol, casino prohibited, and higher daily operating costs in Hawaii guarantee that the ship cannot operate profitably. The original NCL-A design included airplanes, hotels, golf courses, restaurants, shopping centers, car rental agencies, helicopters, tour buses, and tour companies - all owned by the parent company.

Even though the ships were projected to bleed money, all passengers would be funneled through the company's airplanes, hotels, golf courses, shopping centers, restaurants, tour companies, bus lines, and car rental agencies - all of which would make a healthy profit.

NCL-A ran out of time and money ($ 3 BILLION) before they were able to put it all together.

NCL would be very lucky to find someone to buy POA - at any price. They are stuck with this albatross.

POA is the last remaining American Flagged ocean-going cruise ship.

NCL Received a sweetheart deal from US Congress to flag it American, even though it was only partially built in the USA.

They received another sweetheart deal with Congress when they couldn't find enough qualified Americans to work onboard. Congress changed the law that requires only US Citizens as onboard employees, allowing a percentage of foreign workers to cover the more demanding technical jobs.

Although this is a grey area, it appears that if POA is reflagged for any reason, those sweetheart deals are voided and POA can never be re-flagged American again.

The suits at NCL seem to think that there is some extra value in the only remaining American flagged ocean-going cruise ship. It is very unlikely that any more will be built.

Who knows what might be possible if current cabotage laws change?

Edited by BruceMuzz