Food Republic on Escape

emerald777

Just started researching our next cruise on Escape next month and have come across tons of references to Food Republic (all good). But I have done several searches and can't come up with anything that actually explains what it is. Anyone have a menu of what is avilable? Recommendations on what you liked best? Thsnks!!

Best food I've ever had on a ship, all 6 times we've eaten there! It's truly outstanding, and we've loved everything.

Things to note:

* Dining plans aren't accepted there

* No reservations are taken or needed

* I think it's best at lunch time

* There aren't courses, entrees, etc. You just order a few dishes, they come out in random order as soon as they are ready (not all together), then you order more, etc., until you are done eating.

* Don't miss the signature beverages offered only here

Although I truly love everything we've had here, my favorites are probably the pork belly dumplings, short rib dumplings, all the sushi, rock shrimp pad thai... I guess this list could get long.

Edited by LrgPizza

Counting the days until our next Escape and FR visit! We have so many more items on that menu to try. Under 90 days now. We loved the Bulgogi tacos and I was especially happy with the Banana Bun dessert so I must rememer to save room for that :D

I wonder why Brussels sprouts cost more than scallops and calimari.

A typical rule of thumb is the cost of the food used is about 25-33% of the price of the dish. So if you're ordering a $30 a la carte steak, they paid around $10 for the meat. So, the cost to Norwegian for the Brussels sprouts is, for whatever reason, higher than the scallop dish.

It's funny how tastes are different ....

My partner and I and our best friends found Food Republic to be vaguely upscale food court Asian. Coming from Toronto with its large expat Asian population, this restaurant wouldn't last very long ....

Sort of blah and sort of 1992 ..... easily our least fave of all of the specialties. The only complimentary restaurant we ate in for our cruise was the Haven Dining room.

We found our favourite lunch spot to be Pincho Tapas where, if you had a dining package, lunch was $7 (?) for a really fabulous selection of high quality tapas.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

The Pubbelly boys (Jose Mendin, Andreas Schreiner and Sergio Navarro) who created the Food Republic menu are famous for Asian inspired gastropub food, and that's exactly how I'd describe it.

I also love Pincho Tapas, but prefer Food Republic.

We ate there 3 times on Escape going the first night for dinner was perfect most people had not discovered it yet so it was quick and easy. Also the first night always seem a bit crazy in any MDR since people are figuring out how it all works.....believe it or not most cruiser are not on this board. :-)

They do lunch every day but St Thomas day at least on our cruise. The way things change for "our convenience" . The last few days its packed but early on its empty.

The only dish we did not like was the scallops. Really fell short for us and not worth it at all. Not much flavor and tiny bay scallop.

The brussel sprouts taste like bacon and I hate brussel spouts but not in food republic.

The dragon roll was so good and the teriyaki chicken always the last thing to come out but worth the wait.