O Life Headache

ael123

I am currently on Insignia in Spain and am having an O Life Headache. Can anyone else out there tell me if they have had the problem I am describing below or know of someone who had the same problem and if so what they did and how do I resolve this situation?

I booked my cruise on July 25th 15 days before the August 9th sailing of Insignia. At that time I was offered the O Life Choice promotion which is either $1000 credit or 10 free shore excursions – 5 for me and 5 for my husband or a drink package. I took the 10 free shore excursions. I have the contract and the final billing paperwork. Now that I am on board and have booked all of my shore excursions and taken some of them Oceania is not honoring the 10 free shore excursions. I was told I did not book them all within 14 days of sailing. Mind you I bought the cruise 15 days before sailing and no one informed me I had less than 24 hours to book all of my shore excursions. So now guest services is charging me full cost for the 10 shore excursions and not honoring the 10 free ones I was supposed to have with the O Life Choice Program.

The way I found out I was being billed was I asked for my billing statement just to check it as I always do when I am at sea. I noticed I am owing far more money than I thought I should be so I went to the guest service desk. I was told that the sales receipt contract (in the fine print) says that the O Life Choice options must be selected within 14 days. I was not aware that was a condition for the O Life Choice promotion until today. Oceania is willing to give me an $800 credit but I feel cheated because tomorrow I am supposed to go on an excursion I would not have bought had I known I was going to be charged full price. Also the Choice promotion was for either $1000 credit or for 10 free shore excursions not for an $800 credit. Please let me know if you or anyone else you know has had that problem and what if anything can be done to fix the problem. The guest service desk is not willing to help me. Also has anyone taken an Oceania cruise with this promotion. If so did you TA tell you that you had to choose your shore excursions within 14 days of sailing? Mine didn't. Thanks.

Sorry that you are having this problem as you were not aware of the "fine print"

If you booked with a TA then he/she is to blame for this.

See this thread for a similar issue:

"Must specifically ask for free excursions......"

Not much you can do onboard. Since you canceled your remaining excursions, it sounds like O will reimburse you for those. For the excursions already taken, or too late to cancel, when you get home, write or call your TA, explain and show them the Olife policy, and ask for a refund. Shame on your TA, it is their fault, they should do the right thing and refund you for those taken. I would suggest talking with fellow passengers onboard, to find out who their TA's are, and switch to a high volume O TA in the future, someone who is aware of O's policies.

Certainly, when someone books so close to sailing -- especially if they opt for the oLife excursions -- the limitations should be explained in detail.

My TA has done so even though we booked a year in advance.

Mura

I am currently on Insignia in Spain and am having an O Life Headache. Can anyone else out there tell me if they have had the problem I am describing below or know of someone who had the same problem and if so what they did and how do I resolve this situation?

I booked my cruise on July 25th 15 days before the August 9th sailing of Insignia. At that time I was offered the O Life Choice promotion which is either $1000 credit or 10 free shore excursions – 5 for me and 5 for my husband or a drink package. I took the 10 free shore excursions. I have the contract and the final billing paperwork. Now that I am on board and have booked all of my shore excursions and taken some of them Oceania is not honoring the 10 free shore excursions. I was told I did not book them all within 14 days of sailing. Mind you I bought the cruise 15 days before sailing and no one informed me I had less than 24 hours to book all of my shore excursions. So now guest services is charging me full cost for the 10 shore excursions and not honoring the 10 free ones I was supposed to have with the O Life Choice Program.

The way I found out I was being billed was I asked for my billing statement just to check it as I always do when I am at sea. I noticed I am owing far more money than I thought I should be so I went to the guest service desk. I was told that the sales receipt contract (in the fine print) says that the O Life Choice options must be selected within 14 days. I was not aware that was a condition for the O Life Choice promotion until today. Oceania is willing to give me an $800 credit but I feel cheated because tomorrow I am supposed to go on an excursion I would not have bought had I known I was going to be charged full price. Also the Choice promotion was for either $1000 credit or for 10 free shore excursions not for an $800 credit. Please let me know if you or anyone else you know has had that problem and what if anything can be done to fix the problem. The guest service desk is not willing to help me. Also has anyone taken an Oceania cruise with this promotion. If so did you TA tell you that you had to choose your shore excursions within 14 days of sailing? Mine didn't. Thanks.

I know it's frustrating because you booked excursions you might not have taken. Plus, by definition, they weren't even premium excursions. I'd be mad too. However, Oceania did give you $800 shipboard credit in return. That will cover your daily automatic gratuity requirements (plus any extras you want to add) and will probably cover all your alcoholic drinks as well. Have champagne in the lounges and good wine with dinner! Live it up! You don't have to buy t-shirts with it. It's not all bad (hopefully).

As a fellow worrier and one who would be righteously indignant: let it go for now, enjoy your trip, cancel those excursions you would not have taken, enjoy those you take. According to Scarlet in "Gone with the Wind", worry about it tomorrow , or when you get home. Look at the blue skies and the beautiful ocean.

How much clearer can it be: " If shore excursion amenity is selected, all excursions must be chosen at least 14 days prior to sailing." If you neglected to read the details, and your TA neglected to tell you, fault can be equally shared. It states the excursions must be chosen.

Another lesson to be learned here is the realization that many of those big online cruise agencies utilize home based "TAs" and it's often the "luck of the draw" as to whether the one with whom you've connected has significant experience with your preferred cruise line.

If one is considering an O cruise, find a TA who does a ton of bookings with O. Some of the agencies with a large web presence are also "brick and mortar operations with full time, very experience TAs who are members of O's Connoisseurs Club.

OP: though the 14 day buffer for pre-selecting O Life excursions is clearly stated, you could try going an ombudsman route. For example, many folks have great luck going through Christopher Elliott (syndicated travel columnist) - google his name for his contact info and plead your case. He also lists the contact info fur CEOs and other execs at numerous travel/hospitality corporations.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

My TA is arranging credit to cover the additional cost of the excursions which if that happens will be a fair resolution. I am finding there are other people on board who did not know - that for the O'Life promotion the bookings have to be in the system at least 14 days to sailing. I don't think this is being clearly communicated so it is important that if any one chooses the excursion offer to know this important fact.

I imagine on the last day when people get their bill there will be a lot of surprised guests. Another tip is to review your statements regularly to make sure that the bill reflects what you feel you have spent.

If you had chosen the $1000 OBC or the drink package would those have had to be in the system 14 days prior too?

No according the T & C for the promotion they have be be chosen at Final payment

Terms and Conditions OLife Choice

*Standard terms apply. View complete terms and conditions in addition: OLife Choice offer expires on 9/30/16. OLife Choice amenities are per stateroom, based on double occupancy and subject to change. Free Internet is one per stateroom; Owner’s, Vista & Oceania Suites receive access for two devices per suite. OLife Choice free shore excursions vary by voyage and exclude Oceania Choice, Oceania Exclusive and Executive Collection. Voyages up to 9 days receive 6 free shore excursions; 10-12 days receive 8 free shore excursions; 14+ days receive 10 free shore excursions. If shore excursion amenity is selected, all excursions must be chosen at least 14 days prior to sailing. OLife Choice beverage package amenity is House Select. Guests in the same stateroom must choose the same OLife Choice amenity and amenity must be chosen by final payment. Not all promotions are combinable.