What would you do?

CruisinToandFro

Hello all!

Im hoping some of you experienced cruisers can help my family make a final decision on what cruise to book. We are looking to book our first cruise and based on the time frame have narrowed it down to 2 different cruises. One on the Elation (5 days to Half Moon Cay and Nassau) and the other on the Breeze (7 day to Montego Bay, Cozumel & Grand Cayman). Heres the dilemma (if thats what you want to call it ;) ). We have a set budget for this vacation and and if we choose the Elation we will have the opportunity to do excursions off the ship in Nassau and Half Moon Cay. If we choose the Breeze we will be more limited and won't be able to do excursions in the ports. Are there things to do that aren't going to cost alot if we choose to go this route. From researching I see there is more to do on the Breeze, but is this enough to justify the limitations we would have in port if we choose to take that option, OR would you sway more toward the Elation and the excursions? Any opionions are greatly appreciated. Either way, we know we will have a great time. We would just like opinions from those who have been there done that.

I understand your dilemma, because I too am always bound by a budget when I cruise. I have always done 7 to 8 day cruises in the past, but last year chose a 5 day one instead, (to budget even more). I did love the ship and the cruise and destinations, but I sure felt like the 5 days went by in a flash. So, given a choice, from now on I will take a 7 to 8 day cruise.

Half Moon Cay is supposed to be wonderful, I have not yet been, but Nassau will always be there, and while I do like the place, many do not.

The ports on the Breeze itinerary, you can always do things there at a reasonable price if you shop around (check out the ports of call board). Just don't take the ship excursions, as they are more expensive and often not as nice as independents. So, my advice, if you can swing it, go for the 7 day.

And if you go for the 5 day cruise, you can do lots in Nassau without booking a tour, and same for Half Moon Cay.

whichever you choose have a great one.:)

I would definitely do the seven day and try to save a little extra money to swim with the stingray in Grand Cayman. We have over 85 cruises and it is the one excursion we would do over and over. Think we have done it 4-5 times and love it each time. In Cozumel there is a large shopping area at the end of the pier and a taxi to downtown is very inexpensive or go to somewhere like Paradise Beach. Think the entry fee is like 4 or 5 dollars a person. Jamaica is a port a lot of people DO NOT like but we love it. Take a taxi to the main town. There are also public beaches close by but not sure how much it costs to get there. Any way, I am sure you will have a great time.Cruising is awesome.

I've done that exact same 7-day itinerary on the Dream and almost the exact same 5-day on the Conquest (ours also had Grand Turk). I would lean towards the 5-day if HMC was a guarantee, because that place is simply heaven on earth. But, you could miss it leaving you with just Nassau. That said, beaches in the Bahamas are gorgeous, and you can find a nice beach in Nassau.

But, that's assuming you like beach days. If you do the 7-day you can just shop in Cozumel or maybe take a cab to Seven Mile beach in Grand Cayman, but when it comes to Montego Bay, I wouldn't even get off of the ship unless you have an excursion booked.

So, I guess it depends on what matters to you most. The plus with the 7-day is more time on the ship and more amenities that come with a newer ship. So that may be something that to think about. Which means more to you, the ship or the ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just got off the Elation cruise back in May. The ship was great and we had a blast. I personally don't like Nassau and wouldn't spend money on a tour there. HMC, if you like the beach and to just hang out there, you don't need to spend money on a tour. Loved the Elation, but that being said, I would go for the 7 day cruise, simply because it's 2 days longer....I have never been on the Breeze, but have been to GC, great island

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

There is no need or reason to do "excursions" in HMC...it's the private beach day, and you can spend the entire day there and not spend much at all! It's a BEACH DAY! Sun, shade, and food is included. Just like on the ship, sodas and alcohol are charged to your shipboard account.

GC is an EASY DIY port. The bus is cheap...goes to all the beaches and other places of interest...(google Grand Cayman buses)...and there are watersport rentals along the beach....it is a pricey place, but on your own, you can save a bundle compared to "excursion " prices. Just takes a bit of research!

You said "your family"- does this mean kids or teens? I've never sailed the Elation, but I would choose the Breeze. 7 days vs 5, Breeze has ropes course & water park, bigger ship so more to do on board. Cozumel you can DIY for very little $$, Gr Cayman has an inexpensive bus system to get you to the beach & shopping right where the tender boat bring you in, Jamaica I would recommend getting a tour here. Dunns river falls is fun for a family there. But this is just my opinion- hope you have a great cruise no matter what you decide.

Those are all excellent ports at which to skip out on excursions. All of them can be enjoyed for the cost of a taxi. I would go for the 7 day assuming you can stay disciplined financially and the extra tipping won't throw you off budget! Full disclosure, I'm not a huge fan of HMC or Nassau but even if those were my favorite ports I'd still probably pick the three for a 7 day if I was trying to not spend a lot of money in port. In fact, other than maybe Puerto Rico and Bermuda, where we stayed overnight or a few days, I think the most money I've spent in a port was HMC.

Hello all!

Im hoping some of you experienced cruisers can help my family make a final decision on what cruise to book. We are looking to book our first cruise and based on the time frame have narrowed it down to 2 different cruises. One on the Elation (5 days to Half Moon Cay and Nassau) and the other on the Breeze (7 day to Montego Bay, Cozumel & Grand Cayman). Heres the dilemma (if thats what you want to call it ;) ). We have a set budget for this vacation and and if we choose the Elation we will have the opportunity to do excursions off the ship in Nassau and Half Moon Cay. If we choose the Breeze we will be more limited and won't be able to do excursions in the ports. Are there things to do that aren't going to cost alot if we choose to go this route. From researching I see there is more to do on the Breeze, but is this enough to justify the limitations we would have in port if we choose to take that option, OR would you sway more toward the Elation and the excursions? Any opionions are greatly appreciated. Either way, we know we will have a great time. We would just like opinions from those who have been there done that.

If I were in your shoes, I would choose Breeze. You can do beach days in Cozumel and Grand Cayman and enjoy a newer ship with more options.

For the first cruise I would go for the shorter trip, just to see if this type of vacation is for you. (Start small, then work your way "up" next time, if you like it.)

Nassau, I would suggest just walking around, see the "straw market" and absorb the local culture.

HMC is a tender port, so you get a bonus boat ride to and from the ship. The beach is very nice, and lunch is included!

Whatever you choose, you WILL have a great time!;)

HMC is my favorite port so that would be my preferred cruise but it's hit or miss so I wouldn't book strictly for it and Nassau is ok but I wouldn't book for it either. The other ports are good and a 7 day is a definite plus but I refuse to cruise broke. So if it came down to it I would take the 5 day and have the extra money to have fun even if I missed my favorite port. I don't like to take vacations knowing I have no fun money at all. If there was a way to come up with some extra cash I would definitely go for the 7 day.

The one thing I will add to what everyone else has said is the best thing about a cruise is you can spend as much or as little as you want. If you want you can just get of the ship and walk around, or you can do an all day tour $$. We have done both types of cruises. Ones were we went on multiple excursions and spent lots of money with a huge bar bill and ones were all we did was get of the ship and walk around the town and sight see on our own. We have had just as much fun on either cruise. That all being said I would chose 7 days over 5 every time in fact we usually chose 8 over 7 every year because of the extra day.

Hello all!

Cruising is a pleasure, no stress at all ;) Breeze ,Breeze,Breeze. Enjoyed being aboard four times over. MB ,free beach. Coz check out Playa Azul for a nice relaxing Free pool as well as a beach area, Tiki hut bar. GC has several option on the cheap. ;)

I vote for the 7 day. The hubs and I had a wonderful time snorkeling in Cozumel, by far our favorite shore excursion of all of our cruises. We just found someone right off the boat to take us snorkeling. It was inexpensive and absolutely beautiful (besides the sunburn from being out on the water for so long). You can definitely do the ports on the cheap. Also, family members got us gift cards for the cruise as Christmas and birthday presents. That makes it easier to do the fun stuff since we already budgeted the price of the cruise.

If you never leave the ship you'll find plenty to do and have a great time. And even just getting off and staying close to the pier will give you a flavor for the port. My experience has been most taxi or independents will give you a tour for around $50 an hour minimum 2 hours. We've done that numerous times with 4 people.

No doubt.....Breeze, Breeze, Breeze....

Think of the ship as a destination in itself, so much to do and enjoy. When we first started cruising, we were on a TIGHT budget. In Jamaica, just walk around port, I wouldn't go outside of port unless on an excursion. In Cozumel, take a taxi to a beach or to Chakenaab (sp?) park. It is cheap and has some of the best snorkeling in such clear water. They even have statues under the water. Now, in Grand Cayman, I would book an excursion with someone recommended on the "Port of Call" boards here on cruise critic for the "Swim with the Stingrays" excursion. There is one that you can walk to from the dock, right down the street, and not expensive at all compared to a Carnival excursion. Also, it includes rental equipment and one or two other stops to snorkel besides swimming with the stingrays. This is an experience that you and your family will never forget, ever!! We have done it numerous times. Every time we sail with a person who has not cruised before, we do this excursion.

You will see, the ship, alone, will be so much fun! Make sure to read all the reviews of the ship before you go, that is half the fun. Enjoy!!

7 day over 5 any time!! The Breeze has lots more to do on the ship, so if your funds don't allow excursions, you can just go off the ship into the port area for a wander around. Maybe go to a nearby beach. Go back onboard for lunch, a swim, mini golf, etc.

A 5-day cruise is over in a flash!!

My choice would be the Breeze 7 day, with the 3 port stops where you don't need ship excursions. A taxi from the port dock to San Miguel in Coz = $7, you can get to a public section of 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman for about $4 each. In Montego Bay, take the bus in the port Terminal to Doctor Caves Beach. (here I don't remember how much, but it wasn't a lot, and there was a small admission fee to get on the beach.)

The main problem with doing a nice newer ship like the Breeze for a first experience is that you may not ever want to think of booking on an older ship later on.