Is there a charge for speciality coffee in the MDR?

Master0396

Does the Pinnacle Grill charge extra for specialty coffees?

Expresso beverages are free. We weren't charged for cappucino at our dinners when we dined there. KK said she was on one ship. I think if there was a charge they would let you know - going by the Pinnacles I have been in.

We have never been charged but haven't been on all the ships in the fleet ;)

Our first cruise was on the Maasdam in 2006. We were really impressed to have free cappuccino or lattes for dinner in MDR...........but more seasoned cruisers than us newbies complained about the "good old days" when the coffees at the coffee bar outside the Explorer's Lounge were also free.

.....................Times do change.........................Now there is a charge everywhere.........don't recall what the policy is in the Pinnacle on our latest cruise on the NA

One of our personal experiences at the Pinacle was not particularly a good experience. DW decided to order her usual Earl Grey Tea....only to be charged extra for her tea. She was furious (it was the principle....not the few dollars) as she could have simply walked a few yards to the MDR and had it for no extra charge...or taken the elevator up to the Lido and grabbed a handful of tea bags for no extra charge, or walked to our cabin where she had her own supply of tea bags (she always brings tea on our trips).

The experience certainly left a bad taste in her mouth (pun intended).

To this day, she refuses to pay an extra penny for any tea on HAL. When I go to the Explorations to get my Cappucino, she will only ask for a cup of hot water and then uses the tea bag she grabbed at the Lido :). Although Explorations does carry a higher end brand of tea, DW (who has been a tea drinker for over 50 years) says it really is no better then the stuff they have in the Lido. Even though we get Explorations stuff for 50% off, she will not spend a cent :). Tis life in the fast lane.

And this is not just a HAL rant. On Princess, they have a wonderful 24/7 International Cafe where one can get excellent (small pot) coffee, expresso, Tazo teas, etc. But you have to pay for these drinks (or buy a coffee card). DW refused to pay for the tea, since she can get good tea bags in the Lido. So she simply asks for hot water (no charge) and uses a Lido tea bag :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Our experience has been the special coffees are luke warm by the time they get to the dining room so we don't order them there any more and just go to the explorations cafe .

Hank, I am like your DW and also take my own tea bags and ask for hot water. I do this in the dining room also and there's never a problem with tea that way! But I have found it best to ask for boiling hot water otherwise it's usually just warm :)

Edited by luv2cruisenz

One of our personal experiences at the Pinacle was not particularly a good experience. DW decided to order her usual Earl Grey Tea....only to be charged extra for her tea. She was furious (it was the principle....not the few dollars) as she could have simply walked a few yards to the MDR and had it for no extra charge...or taken the elevator up to the Lido and grabbed a handful of tea bags for no extra charge, or walked to our cabin where she had her own supply of tea bags (she always brings tea on our trips).

The experience certainly left a bad taste in her mouth (pun intended).

To this day, she refuses to pay an extra penny for any tea on HAL. When I go to the Explorations to get my Cappucino, she will only ask for a cup of hot water and then uses the tea bag she grabbed at the Lido :). Although Explorations does carry a higher end brand of tea, DW (who has been a tea drinker for over 50 years) says it really is no better then the stuff they have in the Lido. Even though we get Explorations stuff for 50% off, she will not spend a cent :). Tis life in the fast lane.

And this is not just a HAL rant. On Princess, they have a wonderful 24/7 International Cafe where one can get excellent (small pot) coffee, expresso, Tazo teas, etc. But you have to pay for these drinks (or buy a coffee card). DW refused to pay for the tea, since she can get good tea bags in the Lido. So she simply asks for hot water (no charge) and uses a Lido tea bag :).

Hank

Hank.....your wife is my kind of woman! I bet I could get some tips from her:o

Saving $$$ is a game and one I am known to enjoy playing!!!

Only in explorations. Not in dining room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

From my understanding, only coffees/drinks actually acquired at the

Explorations Cafe receive the discount............unfortunately. :(

Now you got my interest. Who spoke of the "Java Cafe?" Could not find any post and a search for "Java" turned up zip.

Hank

Only ever existed on the Prinsendam as far as I know. It was a wonderful intimate coffee bar where coffees and teas of all types were once available at no added charge. That was some years ago. It still exists as far as I know although we've not been on the Prinsendam for a few years.......used to kinda be our second home. I think it's now also referred to as Explorations Cafe.

They started charging sometime ago although it remained the same cozy area. It was one of our favorite spaces on the ship, because that is where Bob (my DH of 8 years - met 11 years ago) and I met. Still cruising HAL, just not so often on the Prinsendam, but do want to do so at least one more time while she's still in the fleet.

Only ever existed on the Prinsendam as far as I know.

No, the Java Café was outside the Wajang Theatre on the S- and R-class ships. But that disappeared ages ago. It did continue to exist on the Prinsendam, as you said.

There was one on the Ryndam in 2001 my first cruise. Yes the coffee was no extra charge.

There have been a lot of changes in 15 years. What was true so long ago is not always good information to offer today.

Even the Ryndam is no more!

It's about 9 months since I last cruised, and I feel a little out of it to give some information.

Ok, so lets clear the air :). Regarding the "Java Cafe" it still does exist on the Prinsendam and is always my "go to" place around 7am to get my daily cappuccino. But all coffee and tea drinks come with a price...although they do give the 3,4,5 star Mariner discounts in that venue.

Had to laugh about the 15 year old information. For HAL cruisers, 15 years is not a very long time :). But in terms of HAL (and the other cruise lines) the past 15 years have been a life time...in terms of changes (many not for the better). 15 years ago I could take a couple of cases of wine on my HAL cruise. Now, that same amount of wine would cost me hundreds of dollars in corkage fees....even if I remove my own corks in the privacy of our stateroom.

Hank