Opinion on Chic Night

pmcue

My wife and I are on Equinox in November and starting to plan dinners. We like to dress up and will miss Formal night. I wanted to get any opinions on which dining venue may be best on Chic Night if we decide to go Formal with Tux and Dress. Luminae, Blue, Main or one of the specialty restaurants?

I hate it. Very few dress up anymore. I can tell you from my personal experience I have been complimented, stared down, and asked why I am dressed up. So expect almost anything. You will the exception so be prepared. I plan on after 30 cruises with Celebrity moving to another line like Cunard or HAL where the tradition cruise experience still exist. Good Luck.

My wife and I are on Equinox in November and starting to plan dinners. We like to dress up and will miss Formal night. I wanted to get any opinions on which dining venue may be best on Chic Night if we decide to go Formal with Tux and Dress. Luminae, Blue, Main or one of the specialty restaurants?

You will be perfectly fine in formal attire wherever you eat. Even though the dress code is 'evening chic' we saw people in formal attire on both our April TA from Miami and the following Norwegian Fjords cruise.If you like to dress up go for it. You will not be the only ones.

Sandra

Our first cruise on Celebrity is a ways away, but we've faced the same decision on HAL over many cruises. Like you, we enjoy traditional "formal night" dress. We do specialty dining on Chic or Gala Nights, both for the food and the ambiance. We will have Luminae available as well on our X cruise, so I'm a interested to see what others have to say - other than "don't bother dressing up". I get to wear my tux without being asked to pay for a wedding or to make a charitable contribution (other than at the Blackjack table).

I for one am happy about evening Chic. We have a family wedding to attend and I can't even tell you the problem I am having finding a suit myself and my 21 year old son. I ordered 6 suits from Lord and Taylor and non of them fit either of us. I don't know who is buying these slim cut suites but I wasn't a slim when I was 12. The jackets fit but the pant legs (not the waist) are narrow and stick to your leg. I got out my 10yr old suit and had the pants let out. As for my son I'm just going to buy him a Navy blazer and slacks. I would have worn my new suit on the cruise but that's not going to happen now. If slim is chic I will stick out like a sore thumb so it won't matter what I wear.

We prefer Evening Chic because of the flexibility it offers. For a short cruise we can take the tux or suit & long gown. But on a longer trip with a B2B not needing a suit or cocktail dresses keeps the luggage down.

We were on Connie in June. I took my Dinner Suit (as us Brits call it). We had 3 "evening Chic" nights. Plenty of people dressed up and I certainly didn't feel out of place.

We're on Connie again in a couple of months and I'll be wearing my DJ again.

We will be on Eclipse in the Caribbean in January and I am considering a smart lightweight jacket instead, purely because on European sailings you get a more eclectic mix and more Europeans whereas I suspect that the Caribbean in January will be predominantly US & Canadians, who (and this is not a generalisation, so don't berate me) don't tend to be as "dressy" and are less traditional.

I hate it. Very few dress up anymore. I can tell you from my personal experience I have been complimented, stared down, and asked why I am dressed up. So expect almost anything. You will the exception so be prepared. I plan on after 30 cruises with Celebrity moving to another line like Cunard or HAL where the tradition cruise experience still exist. Good Luck.

Just returned from a 2 week Baltic cruise on the Eclipse . This was the 4th consecutive year that we had completed this cruise and the 1st since the dress code has been in Celebrity' s own words ' re- booted ' . As a family of 4 and part of a larger party of 9 who generally like to dress smartly and formally on the 3 nights now rebranded as Evening Chic we were interested in seeing how our fellow passengers would present themselves . We were pleasantly surprised to see that many had still retained dinner suits , tuxes etc and family groups in particular had made an effort . The appearance of some others however made a complete dog's breakfast of these evenings . I spotted guys in t- shirts , 3 button vests , cheesecloth shirts ( I wore one in 1982 and now use it to clean the car ) , creased jeans and open toed sandals amongst other things . Dress to Impress ? In fairness all the ladies looked quite smart . As for the Smart Casual dress code there appeared to be no code at all and some people seemed to have walked in direct from a trip complete with rucksacks in some instances .

Now I can appreciate that lugging a full dinner suit / tux from say Australia is not practical but surely bringing a couple of decent shirts and trousers is not too much of an ordeal ?

In conclusion the standard of dress had definitely dropped - by some but not by all .

We board Equinox next week and my boyfriend will most definitely be lugging his suit all the way from Australia! It'll be a nice change to get dressed up for an occasion other than weddings and trips to the races.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Kiwi-in-perth

We board Equinox next week and my boyfriend will most definitely be lugging his suit all the way from Australia! It'll be a nice change to get dressed up for an occasion other than weddings and trips to the races.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here, here !

I know it's not going to happen since they only repeat the web site but I would love to have the Celebrity Cruises poster tell us why some ships are doing three evening chic nights. This has been posted by a number of people. The web site and press release specifically said there would only be two no matter the length of the cruise.

From the web site:

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Edited by dkjretired

I know it's not going to happen since they only repeat the web site but I would love to have the Celebrity Cruises poster tell us why some ships are doing three evening chic nights. This has been posted by a number of people. The web site and press release specifically said there would only be two no matter the length of the cruise.

From the web site:

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

No idea, our last cruise was 12 nights as is the next.

From the web site:

I know this won't happen either but I'd love to know why on our Eclipse cruise the official Celebrity Today paper stated Celebrity Chic to be tuxedo, dinner jacket or suit for men etc.

I know you've seen a picture of it too posted by someone on the same cruise. Maybe they just like to keep us all on our toes...

I know this won't happen either but I'd love to know why on our Eclipse cruise the official Celebrity Today paper stated Celebrity Chic to be tuxedo, dinner jacket or suit for men etc.

I know you've seen a picture of it too posted by someone on the same cruise. Maybe they just like to keep us all on our toes...

It actually says that those still wishing to still dress formally can continue to do so but alternatively guests can ' Dress to Impress ' less formally in a chic style without a jacket and tie for the guys .

Also in answer to a previous post Eclipse 14 sailings out of Southampton continue to include 3 Evening Chic evenings .

It actually says that those still wishing to still dress formally can continue to do so but alternatively guests can ' Dress to Impress ' less formally in a chic style without a jacket and tie for the guys .

Also in answer to a previous post Eclipse 14 sailings out of Southampton continue to include 3 Evening Chic evenings .

Not sure what you're referring to, but I was referring to the picture posted in post 33 on this thread :-

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=50527430#post50527430

So, no idea what your "it" actually is.

Edited by Mynki

Not sure what you're referring to, but I was referring to the picture posted in post 33 on this thread :-

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=50527430#post50527430

So, no idea what your "it" actually is.

'IT ' in my case is the Celebrity Today daily programme that was delivered to our cabin on the Eclipse sailing 31st July to 14th August .

From the web site:

Solstice was doing 3 EC nights, I asked and was told it is up to the Cruise Director how many EC nights there would be:rolleyes:

Solstice was doing 3 EC nights, I asked and was told it is up to the Cruise Director how many EC nights there would be:rolleyes:

It's not a big deal so much now because there is not a big difference if any between Evening Chic and Smart Casual but they shouldn't be upping the number of nights since people may not pack that way following the web site.

This is one of those things that the old Celebrity Cruises poster would fix by getting back to headquarters.

I don't give a damn about what anyone else is wearing; and I expect the same in return.

I started cruising inthe 70s, when formal meant formal; not ripped jeans and a backwards-facing ballcap.

I still dress up on whatever they choose to call the nights. Hopefully no one will ask me why I'm dressedup, because they will get an EARFUL from me....

I drive to my cruises, and can bring as much (or as little) as I desire. It is, after all, MY vacation!