Opinion on Chic Night

pmcue

Thanks all. Seems like dressing up will be fine and any restaurant is good. Appreciate the responses.

Honestly you really don't have anything to worry about getting dressed up. Remember some of these posts on this forum don't always reflect the reality once aboard the actual ship. ;)

You should dress the way you want. Personally I can't remember the last time I wore a tux on a cruise ship. I am comfortable wearing dress slacks, collared shirt and casual shoes every night of the cruise. I don't wear a suit or a tux. And I don't care that others wear a tux or suit.:)

From what we saw in February, there were MANY people dressed formally on the chic nights. Although my hubs didn't bring his tux that time, he is going to on our next cruise. We enjoy both options. We love to dress up, but sometimes we just want to look classy but still comfortable.

I think you'll be fine if you want to dress formally. It's so lovely to do once in a while.

This is always a fun and sometimes debatable topic! We have always loved to "dress up" on our cruises. In March 2016 on the Equinox, there was a mix. We did not feel out of place at all in hub's suit and tie, and my cocktail dress or maxi-dress. Even at home, I tend to wear bling, so that travels with me on our cruises. I saw tuxes and gowns, I saw similar dress to DH and me, and I saw quite dressed down. No one seemed bothered by anyone else, as it should be.

We cruise NCL and RCI as well, and they tend to be more casual. Sometimes surprisingly casual. We're happy that X passengers still maintain an elegant flair :)

Also, if we want to be really casual, we go to an island and hang out in swimsuits, shorts, and flipflops the whole vacation. On a cruise, I get to pull out the clothing I don't get to wear as often, and leave the work suits and flip flops at home!!

I was agnostic before our cruise about the change from formal to the other yoke. But we both felt that the atmosphere was lacking those nights. Just did not have the same feel about it. Hard to explain but that is how it felt.

We just returned from a 7-night Alaska on Infinity with friends, our first trip under the new policy. We all generally prefer dressing up, but decided jackets and cocktail dresses would be more practical than tuxes and gowns given we were already packing a little bulky for the northern itinerary. I was pleased to see most people were somewhere along the cocktail to formal range, and I appreciated the folks who really turned it out (I'm talking to you, lovely white-haired lady in the full length navy and white floral sequined dress and the sparkling hair comb!). Our only disappointment was that once on board we discovered there was only to be one elegant night rather than two. We decided we'd just make our own and all go elegant again on one of the last days, and as it turns out we definitely weren't alone in that idea.

We just returned from a 7-night Alaska on Infinity with friends, our first trip under the new policy. We all generally prefer dressing up, but decided jackets and cocktail dresses would be more practical than tuxes and gowns given we were already packing a little bulky for the northern itinerary. I was pleased to see most people were somewhere along the cocktail to formal range, and I appreciated the folks who really turned it out (I'm talking to you, lovely white-haired lady in the full length navy and white floral sequined dress and the sparkling hair comb!). Our only disappointment was that once on board we discovered there was only to be one elegant night rather than two. We decided we'd just make our own and all go elegant again on one of the last days, and as it turns out we definitely weren't alone in that idea.

You had an elegant evening? According to Celebrity's website and our recent Cruise on the Eclipse the published suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR are smart casual and evening chic.

Edited by davekathy

You had an elegant evening? According to Celebrity's website and our recent Cruise on the Eclipse the published suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR are smart casual and evening chic.

Sorry for the confusion, old habit - not used to the new terminology yet!

Chic night or not DH will be wearing his tux and I'll be in a cocktail dress. We LIKE formal nights and the dressing up. Besides, DH is only allowed to have his Johnny Walker Blue when dressed in a tux :D

Good for you! I love to see people dressed up around the ship. Makes everything more special.

It is fabulous, much better than the traditional formal night. MOST dress VERY NICE to actually formal(it has been this way for years). You will be happy, if you ignore what many post. Just dress like you prefer to and you will be happy and not alone.

Edited by north29

This is always a fun and sometimes debatable topic! We have always loved to "dress up" on our cruises. In March 2016 on the Equinox' date=' there was a mix. We did not feel out of place at all in hub's suit and tie, and my cocktail dress or maxi-dress. Even at home, I tend to wear bling, so that travels with me on our cruises. ![/quote']

We had a great time on the same cruise with you and I must say that you and Mike always looked "Chic" at our Martini Bar pre=dinner fun.

We plan for the mood and cruise vibe we are feeling so it changes with each cruise but we NEVER dress casual on special nights. We are on HAL 7 day Caribbean cruise this fall and I plan cocktail dresses and hubby wearing ivory colored jacket with nice shirts with without ties. Hal is no longer "formal" either. For our 10 day Equinox next May hubby may take the tux and I'll glam up more just for fun. Not because we have to.

We dress for each other, not for the vague guidelines that everyone seems to have differing opinions. My favorite pre-cruise quote from my wonderful husband? "What do you want me to pack for chic night?"

Frankly I'm more concerned about people putting babies on the floor of the Martini Bar and letting them crawl around and take photos at 6pm prime Martini time!!!! Yes, it happened on last Equinox cruise.

Can Celebrity please have a no baby crawling on the sticky bar floor rule?

I actually thought of renting a tux and having it delivered to my stateroom. Would cut down on the luggage needed. Still thinking on it. Whether its evening chic or fomal night. I wear what i feel like. Bring retired we really dont get the opportunity to dress up.

So would be a great chance to get spiffed up.

I actually thought of renting a tux and having it delivered to my stateroom. Would cut down on the luggage needed. Still thinking on it. Whether its evening chic or fomal night. I wear what i feel like. Bring retired we really dont get the opportunity to dress up.

So would be a great chance to get spiffed up.

My husband has rented before owning and it worked very well for him. We have the luxury of driving to Florida ports so luggage not an issue now

We had a great time on the same cruise with you and I must say that you and Mike always looked "Chic" at our Martini Bar pre=dinner fun.

We plan for the mood and cruise vibe we are feeling so it changes with each cruise but we NEVER dress casual on special nights. We are on HAL 7 day Caribbean cruise this fall and I plan cocktail dresses and hubby wearing ivory colored jacket with nice shirts with without ties. Hal is no longer "formal" either. For our 10 day Equinox next May hubby may take the tux and I'll glam up more just for fun. Not because we have to.

We dress for each other, not for the vague guidelines that everyone seems to have differing opinions. My favorite pre-cruise quote from my wonderful husband? "What do you want me to pack for chic night?"

Frankly I'm more concerned about people putting babies on the floor of the Martini Bar and letting them crawl around and take photos at 6pm prime Martini time!!!! Yes, it happened on last Equinox cruise.

Can Celebrity please have a no baby crawling on the sticky bar floor rule?

Melissa!! Yes! the 4 of us were quite "chic" each evening at the Martini bar pre-dinner, sometimes after!

I love your post, and we feel the same way! I feel like I am dressing for a date each evening. And although I tend to over-dress on "casual" nights, I don't care! I dress for me, I love it and Mike loves it. Isn't it nice that our hubs love to dress for us too? Mike does not have to wear a suit in his line of work, but he enjoys it on our cruise "dates."

OMG I remember the baby thing!! Just wow....

I wish our next cruise together were sooner, the 4 of us have to wait until 2018 for our Eclipse adventure!

Please say hi to Barry!

We too, will be cruising on the Infinity to Alaska, and were told only one Chic night. We were also told that jeans and a polo are fine. :confused:

What does that mean we can wear the other six nights, our pajamas?

Hell with that, we are dressing up semi formal for two nights!!:)

Sometimes I think we need a "like" button on these boards :) So glad to hear that so many still like dressing up and not feeling out of place about it. We'll be in the Med on the Reflection next year, and I'm happy to wear appropriate cocktail attire and my husband doesn't mind wearing his tux.

While traveling with my cousins on the Equinox for a Med cruise, Lynn, an avid ...never want to dress up kind of person...had to wear a Tux. His luggage, along with his wife's luggage had been lost, but then located. However, it would take several days to catch up with the ship. His wife did not want him to wear a pair of jeans stuffed into his overate bag on formal night. The only thing that fit him at all was a tux rented from Celebrity for free, and it fit perfectly. He strutted his stuff as long as he could stand it, with us continually telling him how great he looked. He even admitted that he enjoyed all the attention, but would never do it again. It made for a very exciting night! Lynn likes to be comfortable when he eats and the tux was restricting...other than that, he would do it again, but in a different life! He had little room for dessert!:eek:

Duplicate...PLEASE DELETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Lastdance

While traveling with my cousins on the Equinox for a Med cruise, Lynn, an avid ...never want to dress up kind of person...had to wear a Tux. His luggage, along with his wife's luggage had been lost, but then located. However, it would take several days to catch up with the ship. His wife did not want him to wear a pair of jeans stuffed into his overate bag on formal night. The only thing that fit him at all was a tux rented from Celebrity for free and it fit perfectly. He strutted his stuff as long as he could stand it, with us continually telling him how great he looked. He even admitted that he enjoyed all the attention, but would never do it again. It made for a very exciting night! Lynn likes to be comfortable when he eats and the tux was restricting...other than that, he would do it again, but in a different life! He had little room for dessert!:eek:

I could care less if people want to play dress up or not, but l prefer to be comfortable when I am eating, without any restrictive blood flow. My DH prefers the same; he wore a suite and tie for way too many years. So, "Evening Comfy'" with a touch of class works perfectly for us.

Edited by Lastdance

On one of our cruises, we saw a bride always in her wedding dress as her luggage was lost. She was only given $100 to spend in the shops for clothes, once underwear, a bathing suit and shorts were purchased no money was left! . At least she could wear hubby's t shirts !!:) After we hit a few ports, she showed up in sundresses, but on the next formal night, she was back in her wedding dress. I bet she never thought she'd wear that wedding dress so many times in one week :)