Free Mini Bar on Eclipse

simoncha

If you are a martini drinker it is. One martini a day pays for the cost of the upgrade. The mini bar is a great addition to the premium package, imo. I wonder if the Eclipse is a test ship. We sail her in January, and will be upgrading to premium with or without the mini bar addition. We have a lot of OBC to use and we enjoy martinis.

Marie

Does anyone have an update on whether it is available fleet wide? I'd always do premium if this was the case.

We got on the Eclipse on Saturday. Bartenders and waiters were all pushing the Premium package saying 'free minibar'. I asked our steward if it was included and he confirmed, only for him 2 days later to advise it's not. Called guest relations who advised it isn't included and was only on the last few cruises as a trial and they apologised for the confusion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We got on the Eclipse on Saturday. Bartenders and waiters were all pushing the Premium package saying 'free minibar'. I asked our steward if it was included and he confirmed, only for him 2 days later to advise it's not. Called guest relations who advised it isn't included and was only on the last few cruises as a trial and they apologised for the confusion.

WOW! So, let me get this right. After they promoted it, and you had it for two days, they then denied and discontinued it? Unbelievable. This must be what Modern Luxury looks like.

Marie

I hope you're not charged for anything you had! :)

WOW! So, let me get this right. After they promoted it, and you had it for two days, they then denied and discontinued it? Unbelievable. This must be what Modern Luxury looks like.

Marie

Yes they said staff should not have promoted it as having the minibar included. What was strange was that on boarding our minibar was half empty and had a half eaten chewy bar in it. My mums had two half finished soda cans. Seems like the room attendants were confused too and hadn't restocked.

I was going to upgrade anyway but for anyone who upgraded because of the minibar then they must be miffed.

I hope you're not charged for anything you had! :)

No the room attendant said we would not be charged. Will be checking though!

While I totally understand the frustration and confusion (trust me - been there, done that) I also understand that X does "test" new ideas (as they did with Sushi on 5). The approach? Test it. Evaluate the cost. Determine if it is feasible or not. Realize that it's not just the cost of the little bottles, but the manpower to have to restock the mini-bars, which adds time to the stewards' schedule, manpower to inventory the onboard stock and reorder, etc. If every cabin had to be restocked, even if it took the steward 5 minutes per cabin, and the steward has 12 cabins to service (we know it's probably more) then that is an additional hour that the stewards aren't spending cleaning.

Then factor in peoples' preferences: "I want more scotches and take away the wine." "Can we get more beer and tequila?" "Can you put three extra gins in our mini bar?" What a nightmare that becomes! Then when the ship has to be turned over for new guests ALL the minibars have to be reset. UGH!

While I totally understand the frustration and confusion (trust me - been there, done that) I also understand that X does "test" new ideas (as they did with Sushi on 5). The approach? Test it. Evaluate the cost. Determine if it is feasible or not. Realize that it's not just the cost of the little bottles, but the manpower to have to restock the mini-bars, which adds time to the stewards' schedule, manpower to inventory the onboard stock and reorder, etc. If every cabin had to be restocked, even if it took the steward 5 minutes per cabin, and the steward has 12 cabins to service (we know it's probably more) then that is an additional hour that the stewards aren't spending cleaning.

Then factor in peoples' preferences: "I want more scotches and take away the wine." "Can we get more beer and tequila?" "Can you put three extra gins in our mini bar?" What a nightmare that becomes! Then when the ship has to be turned over for new guests ALL the minibars have to be reset. UGH!

I don't disagree, I was just advising others on this thread that for now the offer has ended, albeit 2 days into our cruise where it was still being promoted as a perk of a premium package upgrade upon boarding.

I could have told them all of that before they tested it! I find it all very strange they even tried it. Doesn't surprise me it didn't work.

Hey all!

Posted this morning on the Celebrity FB page: The reason the mini-bar promotion was stopped was because at the end of a cruise on the Eclipse a good number of guests decided to empty out their mini-bars. Obviously the this was NOT part of the promotion and an necessary cost to X. Suffice it to say this is the reason X pulled comp'ing the mini bars. It only takes a few to ruin for everyone else.

Mystery solved.

Hey all!

Posted this morning on the Celebrity FB page: The reason the mini-bar promotion was stopped was because at the end of a cruise on the Eclipse a good number of guests decided to empty out their mini-bars. Obviously the this was NOT part of the promotion and an necessary cost to X. Suffice it to say this is the reason X pulled comp'ing the mini bars. It only takes a few to ruin for everyone else.

Mystery solved.

I could also see those with premium package giving away mini bottles to their friends that don't have the package.

Of course! Any way possible. The whole idea seemed crazy to me.

We used the service and the novelty wore off after a couple of days. It was rarely fully restocked and some items were never replaced. Saved a trip to a bar but other than that it was a bit of a gimmick.

What they should do is lock all the mini bars on the last night after checking they are full so people can't empty them and they are ready for the next sailing.

No catering for idiots I guess, some people will steal anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Perhaps just stocking with soft drinks and water and a limited number of beers could be the way forward.

The RS PH free bars are stocked with soda, water and beers and it is an appreciated perk....most AI resorts include this...it seems such a pity if people have to resort to getting their room attendants to empty their minibars and then gather their own supplies over the first few cruise days...deja vu....

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all!

Mystery solved.

Is this hearsay or fact?

Is this hearsay or fact?

I looked all over celebrities Facebook site. I could not find it. This was on the same day it was supposedly posted. So I'm calling it hearsay.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

MSC Divina's premium package includes the minibar. It is sparse with four beers and one bottle each of Absolute Red Label and Tanquerray a couple cans of nuts, juices and a few sodas. It was a very nice perk, as others have said, very nice to just grab a beer from the fridge and go back to the balcony.

We are sailing Celebrity over the holidays and were looking forward to having that perk again.