Suite upgrades worth it?

tedcruise

Just received an email from HAL offering an upgrade from a Verandah to a Signature Suite for $800 for two. Besides more room, how much difference is there between the two cabins? Are there perks that go with being in a suite?

It's a 12 night cruise so it's about $67/day. I have no clue whether I'm missing out on a deal or are they are just trying to fill up empty suites.

Any wisdom will be appreciated.

Only you can decide but the bathroom has double sinks and you have a it more real estate.

Signature Suites on Vista HAL ships are our favorite cabin. Large, gracious, accommodating, well-located.

Bigger cabin plus the bathroom not only has double sinks, it has a stall shower as well as the tub/shower combination. Much more storage AND (as OlsSalt says) better locations. My 2 cents.:)

CHEERS!

Just received an email from HAL offering an upgrade from a Verandah to a Signature Suite for $800 for two. Besides more room, how much difference is there between the two cabins? Are there perks that go with being in a suite?

It's a 12 night cruise so it's about $67/day. I have no clue whether I'm missing out on a deal or are they are just trying to fill up empty suites.

Any wisdom will be appreciated.

I just looked on HAL's web site to try and get an idea of the difference between Verandah and Signature Suite pricing but they're showing sold out on your sailing. However, the follow on 12-day cruises on Eurodam with similar itin's show the price difference to be about $1400-$1500/pp more to go from a Verandah to Signature Suite. I don't know what Verandah category you booked but I'm thinking the $400/pp upgrade they're offering isn't too bad at all. Of course $0/pp would be even better! :)

Edited by joepeka

I just looked on HAL's web site to try and get an idea of the difference between Verandah and Signature Suite pricing but they're showing sold out on your sailing. However, the follow on 12-day cruises on Eurodam with similar itin's show the price difference to be about $1400-$1500/pp more to go from a Verandah to Signature Suite. I don't know what Verandah category you booked but I'm thinking the $400/pp upgrade they're offering isn't too bad at all. Of course $0/pp would be even better! :)

Good analysis! I always look at the price difference as well and try to get the upsell for 1/3 rd or less of the fare difference.

The Signature Suite is about 50% larger than a regular verandah cabin. The washrooms are larger as are the balconies.

The question I would ask myself is if I am going to spend the $800, do I want to spend it on a larger cabin or stay in a verandah and spend it elsewhere? That $800 could be spent on a special excursion, speciality dining, a special bottle of wine, spa treatments....anything that may be special to you that would elevate your cruise experience over the top.

I have never sailed in a SS cabin. We have sailed in a Neptune Suite and will never again. The Neptune Suite experience did not meet our expectations and we feel that HAL provides the best level of service in a verandah cabin.

YMMV

Good analysis! I always look at the price difference as well and try to get the upsell for 1/3 rd or less of the fare difference.

Thank you Dave and I like your 1/3rd-or-less rule of thumb. Maybe some day I'll actually get to apply it..... if I ever get an upsell offer. :(

Signature Suites IMO are THE perfect cruise cabin! Desk overlooking the verandah with sea beyond, long couch, wide verandah and double-sink bathrooms with tub and shower!

Whenever we can, and the itinerary merits it (not port-intensive) we try for these. The only problem with your upgrade is that you'll be spoiled. That's how we first got into one...an upsell on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As mentioned above, the double views are great too with the desk windows and the full length balcony door. That is probably why they feel so welcoming - bright, ,light and a real window on the world.

And why it is hard to go back to just a regular balcony, which is not bad either. But there is that something extra about the Signature Suites - thanks for the reminder about all those extra window views - a full sweep when you come in the door and wake up in the morning .

Definitely go for it! The last 2 cruises we upgraded to a Signature Suite and they were 2 of our best cruises. Especially if you are going for 12 days! You will love the locations and space. We spend a little more time in our cabin than most as we love the privacy and the beautiful views you can get with an extra large balcony.

• 2 weeks later...
They've come down to $300 a piece very tempting. :D

that's a suite deal. I'd be hard pressed to say no ;)

Dear friends of mine always booked an OV and said they spent no time in there cabin. They took a suite on an upsell. She was laughing and said they spent more time there with the balcony, etc. She was very happy with her decision.

There is no right answer, but if the price suits you, go for it :)

The Signature Suite is about 50% larger than a regular verandah cabin. The washrooms are larger as are the balconies.

The question I would ask myself is if I am going to spend the $800, do I want to spend it on a larger cabin or stay in a verandah and spend it elsewhere? That $800 could be spent on a special excursion, speciality dining, a special bottle of wine, spa treatments....anything that may be special to you that would elevate your cruise experience over the top.

I have never sailed in a SS cabin. We have sailed in a Neptune Suite and will never again. The Neptune Suite experience did not meet our expectations and we feel that HAL provides the best level of service in a verandah cabin.

YMMV

We have a Neptune Suite booked for next year on the Eurodam.

Can you explain what you didn't care for about it?

I am curious about this too. The space, the double sinks (on your ship) the shower and separate bathtub (on your ship) are wonderful.

Space and concierge are wonderful. Hope cb reports why. I am really curious.

Don't worry about what you have booked. It's a great cabin and I hope you love it :)

Here's a link to the review I did of the cruise and the Neptune Suite. It was in 2012 so I am sure that things have changed since then. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=96447

I truly believe that what we experienced was not the norm. But, even though we were upgraded to a SB, we did pay the full rate for the SC and were very disappointed. And to be honest, the experience was so poor that we still are not willing to chance it and book another Neptune Suite. We have had many sailings since on different ships, alternating between regular verandahs and vista suites. We actually booked a Vista Suite yesterday on the K for a Norway sailing next year. Can't wait. :)

One thing I will say about upgrade offers is if the price is right, it is a wonderful opportunity for you to try another cabin category on for size.

Here's a link to the review I did of the cruise and the Neptune Suite. It was in 2012 so I am sure that things have changed since then. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=96447

I truly believe that what we experienced was not the norm. But, even though we were upgraded to a SB, we did pay the full rate for the SC and were very disappointed. And to be honest, the experience was so poor that we still are not willing to chance it and book another Neptune Suite. We have had many sailings since on different ships, alternating between regular verandahs and vista suites. We actually booked a Vista Suite yesterday on the K for a Norway sailing next year. Can't wait. :)

One thing I will say about upgrade offers is if the price is right, it is a wonderful opportunity for you to try another cabin category on for size.

You had a very unusual experience IMO.

that's a shame.