size of doors

beachgirl222

We want to cruise in October but no Balcony assessable rooms left. My husband uses mobility scooter around ship but not in the cabin. Does anybody know what the door sizes are on the freedom class and Oasis class cabins?

You won't get it through.

Industry standard is 21" of clear opening (meaning the thickness of the door obstructs part of the jamb opening). If your scooter is narrower, or you can adjust/remove the armrests to get below 21" you can get the scooter in. Be aware that in most cabins, you will not have enough room to turn the scooter around once in, so drive in, back out, or vice versa. Also, depending on cabin layout, once the scooter is in, you may not be able to get past it.

We want to cruise in October but no Balcony assessable rooms left. My husband uses mobility scooter around ship but not in the cabin. Does anybody know what the door sizes are on the freedom class and Oasis class cabins?

You are booking very late so with only about 60 days out so not much is left. It would be best to call the cruise line or a TA and inquire which remaining cabins are suitable for scooter users. As others have pointed out it's not just getting a scooter through the door but where you will put it once you are inside. It has to be charged in your cabin and cannot be left out anywhere. No mass market cruise line will store or charge a scooter for you.

You could have a very awkward go of it if you book with a scooter just based on door width. At the risk of sounding very cold and harsh, a scooter ends your days of booking a last minute category guarantee deal.

Edited by BlueRiband

You asked the same question on the Disabled Cruise Forum on August 18, 2016 at 7:30 PM. A complete day before you started this thread. and received answers . Here's the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2391879

The 21" actual clearance still applies to all RCCL ships. Note if you contact the cruise line as another poster suggested, RCCL will tell you it's 23" wide but that is based on door frame to door frame and not actual clearance. 2" has to be deducted for the 23" for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to wall. Scooter needs to be less than 21"

Oasis Class Ships - With the exception of Jr. Suites and above all standard cabins have an alternating configuration. Meaning one has the bed closest to closets when entering the cabin leaving no room for a scooter to get past the bed and the next has the bed closest to the farthest wall /window/balcony thereby having making it easier for the scooter to enter the cabin. The trick is to figure out which cabin has which configuration as it's no denoted on the Allure Deck Plans. Same applies to the Oasis and Harmony. Freedom does not have this issue.

The scooter MUST be stored in the cabin at all times when not in use regardless of what the room attendant tells you as it violates SOLAS ( Safety of Life at Seas ) Regulations as well as RCCL's regulations regardless of what the cabin attendant tells you. Following was copied directly from RCCL's website:

Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers.

Edited by xxoocruiser

As an aside to the above post, every cruise I have been on (lots) I have seen scooters stored in the elevator lobbies overnight. Whether it's right or wrong, this is what we have observed. No one was bothered by it.

Though you have observed scooters stored in the elevator lobbies overnight and that no was by bother by it bet someone would be bothered in the event of an emergency . However it should noted that Disney is the only cruise line that has a designated second storage location which I believe is in an alcove near the elevators.

I for one will contact Security to have the mobility scooters, strollers, etc removed from the hallways as it impedes the safety of the passengers. BTW I use a scooter on cruise and have no problem complying with the mandated regulations regarding not leaving it in the hallway as well as the elevator lobby area.

I for one will contact Security to have the mobility scooters, strollers, etc removed from the hallways as it impedes the safety of the passengers. BTW I use a scooter on cruise and have no problem complying with the mandated regulations regarding not leaving it in the hallway as well as the elevator lobby area.

Exactly. I need a scooter, I use a scooter and I will report a scooter left in the hallways.

Exactly. I need a scooter, I use a scooter and I will report a scooter left in the hallways.

Which is funny because the first cruise I did in an electric wheelchair was booked before I needed the chair, so just booked an ordinary cabin, the chair wouldn't fit through the door, the crew told me to just leave it in the alcove.

Wonder what they'd have said if someone reported it.

After that I bought a chair that would fold down to fit through the doorway.

Which is funny because the first cruise I did in an electric wheelchair was booked before I needed the chair, so just booked an ordinary cabin, the chair wouldn't fit through the door, the crew told me to just leave it in the alcove.

Wonder what they'd have said if someone reported it.

After that I bought a chair that would fold down to fit through the doorway.

Doubt they would be so accommodating today. Cruise lines have not only become more strict about it post-Concordia but the number of scooters proliferates as Baby Boomers age. Cunard for one claims that if one shows up with an undeclared scooter "...if your cabin is not suitable and we are unable to move you to an appropriate cabin, your scooter will be denied boarding and if you choose not to travel full cancellation charges will apply."

I do not know if this is possible, but:

Call (or have your TA) call the cruise line. Explain your need of an HA cabin. See if they have anyone who has booked an HA cabin "because it is where I wanted it" or "it was what was left in my category" and see if they have a policy where a demonstrated need of an HA cabin is required. That may be able to free up a cabin for you. It may not be exactly what you want, but it will get you on the ship for the vacation.

There was a thread the past few weeks where someone wanted to book an aft cabin and the HA was the only available and she was trying to get validation/justification for booking it when she and her son did not require an HA room. Sounded like some of the lines required a demonstrated need closer to final payment and, if someone did not need the cabin, they were removed from that cabin to make way for someone who truly needed the HA cabin.

It won't hurt to ask around the cruise lines for this.

I do not know if this is possible, but:

Call (or have your TA) call the cruise line. Explain your need of an HA cabin. See if they have anyone who has booked an HA cabin "because it is where I wanted it" or "it was what was left in my category" and see if they have a policy where a demonstrated need of an HA cabin is required. That may be able to free up a cabin for you. It may not be exactly what you want, but it will get you on the ship for the vacation.

There was a thread the past few weeks where someone wanted to book an aft cabin and the HA was the only available and she was trying to get validation/justification for booking it when she and her son did not require an HA room. Sounded like some of the lines required a demonstrated need closer to final payment and, if someone did not need the cabin, they were removed from that cabin to make way for someone who truly needed the HA cabin.

It won't hurt to ask around the cruise lines for this.

Only if the Accessible Cabin was assigned by the Cruise Line after the final payment period against a "Guaranteed Booking" is the only chance the cruise line might know if an Able-Person has that cabin.

OP can call the Cruise Line and ask to be placed on wait list in the event of a cancelation

Not meant to hijack this thread but regarding the thread last week you reference. as explained numerous times on that thread Cruise Lines really don't know if an able bodied person has booked the accessible cabin as regrettably people will falsify their need to having an accessible. Also the woman in that post you reference wanted the Accessible Cabin and there were standard aft cabins still available as she even attached a screen shot of her search on NCL's website showing the available cabins. She was quite blunt about wanting the Accessible Cabin . In the NCL forum she posted she finally booked a regular mid ship balcony .

Edited by xxoocruiser