Leaving belongings on beach

ktkcruisers

We're going on an excursion that will take us to a beach. We have a waterproof case for seapass cards, etc. I do not have a waterproof case for my phone and would have to leave it in bag on chair at beach when snorkeling or leave it on ship in the safe. Has anyone ever had belongings taken from beach on an excursion?

We're going on an excursion that will take us to a beach. We have a waterproof case for seapass cards, etc. I do not have a waterproof case for my phone and would have to leave it in bag on chair at beach when snorkeling or leave it on ship in the safe. Has anyone ever had belongings taken from beach on an excursion?

Happens all the time. Best plan, not everybody goes into the water at same time. Or leave things on the bus if that is a safe options.

That's what I was afraid of. We live near a beach and have always been able to leave our things and never had a problem. It's common and most everyone leaves their things unattended. Even as strangers we watch out for each other, but in 30 plus years have never had an issue.

Thanks for the caution! I will leave my phone on board the ship. Have a great weekend!

I use one of these - http://kyssbags.com/. Super great bag....it locks to the chair as well as zipper locks closed. Love it!

I have one of these bags also, and while they SEEM great, I ended up having a bad experience with the bag recently when it fell apart at the seams for no apparent reason. The bag was used to carry swimsuit cover ups, money and phones, so nothing heavy, but the seams ripped, and once the rip happened, a big hole just continued to spread across the bag. This makes me

question whether the bag is really "cut proof" as the company claims.

I also didn't like the customer service from Kyss bags when I emailed them a whole bunch of pictures of the bag (which had only been used for 3 days and was recently purchased). They questioned the validity of the rips and told me that I would have to pay to ship the bag back to them so they could evaluate whether they thought they should be held responsible, and if they decided they weren't, I would have to pay to have the bag shipped back to me (but I wouldn't have a use for it anyway).

My pictures clearly showed that the seams had come apart, and they came apart in 3 different places, which means the quality of the bag was very poor, and also not rip, tear, or cut proof like they claim. They only agreed to replace my bag after I posted all my pictures on social media and review boards...but that was a week ago and I still haven't received a replacement as promised, nor have I gotten a shipment notification, but they were VERY quick to remove all the pictures from their Facebook page so nobody else would see them. I don't really care though, because I don't trust the bag and probably won't use it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why do you need your phone on the beach? Ours gets turned off when we get to our cabin and put in the safe until the last night when we charge it.

WE are not shoppers so don't take more then maybe $20 when we leave the ship. That and one credit card goes in my husband's shorts pocket which gets folder up and put in our beach bag.

WE have been on more then 100 cruises and have never had our beach bag or anything in it taken when we leave it on the beach. Neighbors automatically watch each other's stuff.

Or, leave all but towels in the van/bus that took you to the beach for the excursion.

At home we are maybe 10 minutes from the beach and never had a problem there either.

Edited by Bonnie J.

Why do you need your phone on the beach? Ours gets turned off when we get to our cabin and put in the safe until the last night when we charge it.

WE are not shoppers so don't take more then maybe $20 when we leave the ship. That and one credit card goes in my husband's shorts pocket which gets folder up and put in our beach bag.

WE have been on more then 100 cruises and have never had our beach bag or anything in it taken when we leave it on the beach. Neighbors automatically watch each other's stuff.

Or, leave all but towels in the van/bus that took you to the beach for the excursion.

At home we are maybe 10 minutes from the beach and never had a problem there either.

I can understand taking the phone...its sometimes the only camera people have for pictures. I carry my phone and/or camera off the ship all the time.

That being said, the ONLY thing I would ever consider leaving unattended on the beach while I was in the water is my towel. We've always made sure that one person stays back with the 'stuff' to keep an eye on it.

The Caribbean beaches are pretty narrow, so even if you are at water's edge, you're not far from your stuff. If we both want to be in the water at the same time, we keep an eye on our stuff.

No one wants your shorts or flip flops...or a paperback book...I wouldn't bring a phone or other pricey electronics to the beach!

I have one of these bags also, and while they SEEM great, I ended up having a bad experience with the bag recently when it fell apart at the seams for no apparent reason. The bag was used to carry swimsuit cover ups, money and phones, so nothing heavy, but the seams ripped, and once the rip happened, a big hole just continued to spread across the bag. This makes me

question whether the bag is really "cut proof" as the company claims.

I also didn't like the customer service from Kyss bags when I emailed them a whole bunch of pictures of the bag (which had only been used for 3 days and was recently purchased). They questioned the validity of the rips and told me that I would have to pay to ship the bag back to them so they could evaluate whether they thought they should be held responsible, and if they decided they weren't, I would have to pay to have the bag shipped back to me (but I wouldn't have a use for it anyway).

My pictures clearly showed that the seams had come apart, and they came apart in 3 different places, which means the quality of the bag was very poor, and also not rip, tear, or cut proof like they claim. They only agreed to replace my bag after I posted all my pictures on social media and review boards...but that was a week ago and I still haven't received a replacement as promised, nor have I gotten a shipment notification, but they were VERY quick to remove all the pictures from their Facebook page so nobody else would see them. I don't really care though, because I don't trust the bag and probably won't use it anyway.

I've used mine for years on beaches (and at pools) all around the world. Love it! Never had any issues and will continue to use it. Not sure why you'd want a replacement if you're not happy with the quality.

BTW, I know other people who are very happy with their bag and they do get excellent reviews.

Edited by Donna_In_India

That's what I was afraid of. We live near a beach and have always been able to leave our things and never had a problem. It's common and most everyone leaves their things unattended. Even as strangers we watch out for each other, but in 30 plus years have never had an issue.

Thanks for the caution! I will leave my phone on board the ship. Have a great weekend!

Remember, you're not at home. In a small community, it's quite possible to "trust everyone". Out on the road, elsewhere in the world, sadly, not so much.

I'm going to be taking the TSA approved lock off of my suit case to use on the zippers of my book bag and then use a bicycle lock to lock the bag to a chair or tree. This is not a fool proof plan, but I figure potential theives are looking for easy targets and not something that would take a little work. I also have a water proof bag that I can wear over my shoulder while swimming that I have always put my personal items in while we are both out in the water.

I'm going to be taking the TSA approved lock off of my suit case to use on the zippers of my book bag and then use a bicycle lock to lock the bag to a chair or tree. This is not a fool proof plan, but I figure potential theives are looking for easy targets and not something that would take a little work. I also have a water proof bag that I can wear over my shoulder while swimming that I have always put my personal items in while we are both out in the water.

Worth a shot but razor blades cut fabric quickly.

I've used mine for years on beaches (and at pools) all around the world. Love it! Never had any issues and will continue to use it. Not sure why you'd want a replacement if you're not happy with the quality.

BTW, I know other people who are very happy with their bag and they do get excellent reviews.

Yeah I know, that's why I was so excited to get the bag. The reviews are great. I think my bag was probably part of a bad batch, or for whatever reason just didn't get sewn properly, which is why the company should have replaced it without causing so much of a hassle.

However, to answer your question, I did say in my post that I didn't really care that I didn't get the replacement bag because I don't want it anyway. I would rather have my money back. I don't trust that the bag is cut proof, and would be too scared to trust it unattended. I have read all the great reviews which is why I bought it in the first place, my point is to let people know that it might not be cut proof because I had a bag that was very easily unraveled, without having been cut. If it can't be cut, it shouldn't unravel either, though, as I said, it could have just been a bad bag. I didn't think their customer service was very good in handling that issue, and the money they wanted me to pay to ship the bag back (after having already paid $15 to have it shipped to me in the first place) would have been almost as much as buying a new bag.

I had a situation with another company once where they sent an item of clothing that had a big box cutter slice right through the arm. I sent a picture and they overnighted me a replacement and an apology. The Kyss bags company treated me like I was trying to scam them, and then offered to "maybe" replace my bag if I first spent more money to ship my item to them.

People can still like the bags, they may be great, but I would be cautious about their claims. They seem fine until someone comes by with a scissor and cuts your "cut proof" bag, and takes your valuables. The material my bag was made from was weak, thin, and came apart easily (although it sure looked hefty). So beware.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Posts here have been about how to prevent anything being stolen on the beach. How many of you have had or know of things being stolen from the beach? What was stolen?

WE have been on 100+ cruises and are not aware of anything being stolen on the beach so had to ask...................

Jacksonville area beaches with "...never had a problem..." ? - Florida must be improving. We've generally asked people nearby to watch our "stuff" when on beaches near home or overseas - but we would never let real essentials out of our personal control.

I use one of these - http://kyssbags.com/. Super great bag....it locks to the chair as well as zipper locks closed. Love it!

Have used ours for the last 4 years and love it.

We actually use it on board at the pool and keep our loungers together.........with the long lockable chain.

Dont worry we are not chair hogs, we take a lounger far from the pool, and usually are only away from it for 20 min at a time.

Sea Ya

We use a box like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Guide-1449-Polycarbonate-Field/dp/B003JFU652/ref=sr_1_16?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1471795527&sr=1-16&keywords=waterproof+box

It fits in one of the pockets on DH's trunks and will hold cell phone, credit cards, S&S cards and some cash.

Everything else we leave on the beach - no problem.

NKTM Waterproof Pouch Dry Bag Fanny Pack with Waist Strap Keep Your Cellphone Cash Safe and Dry Perfect for Boating Swimming Snorkeling Kayaking Beach

I bought this waterproof bag from amazon. Works great and keeps everything dry. I line it with wrapping paper so you can't see through it.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Cellphone-Swimming-Snorkeling-Guarantee/dp/B01DM3TBHE/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1471827406&sr=8-13&keywords=water+proof+fanny+pack+for+snorkeling