Okay, so what's the best thing you've eaten on a Carnival cruise... and the worst?

jeepers13

Love the brisket on night one and the short ribs. Like most of the soups and salads.

Not a fan of the desserts on the Lido or most of them in the MDR. Want to like the Creme Brûlée but have tried it three times and it's not good. I love the soft serve from the ice cream machine but don't like the taste of the ice cream in the MDR.

I liked the Grand Marnier Souffle, though I don't remember seeing it on my last Carnival cruise. I find their desert options to be overly lacking. Really used to like the lobster bisque and the crab cakes, then last time the crab cakes really weren't all that great.

Personally I enjoy the tacos and guys burgers. Really wish those were open more for a late night snack option. Pizza as the only late night snack gets a little old.

Love Love Love the Braised Rabbit Appetizer! Also love the Spring Rolls, Cream of Mushroom Soup, the Fried Shrimp Dinner (always comes out so hot and crispy!), Tiramisu, the BLT's from room service with extra bacon/toasted, and the Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce with sweet Italian Sausage is OUT OF THIS WORLD at Pasta Bella. Of course the 24 hour Ice Cream really is some of the best I have had- so creamy and rich.

Pizza now is not as good as before. Last time I held it up you could see through it. Scrambled eggs any where (the dining room now uses the powder). A port special(I think Belize or Honduras) fish with some crust on it was way dry and 'fishy'. The dining room Fish and Chips not so much either.

A surprise I had was the vegetarian Pumpkin Shepard's Pie (I don't remember actual name, but was on Dream in July). A very different but good main course.

Taste is so subjective. Someone didn't like the bitter and Blanc, but I LOVE it. I was so disappointed that Magic didn't have it this time. Does anyone know if it been eliminated altogether from the new American table/feast menus, or if there's a chance I'll have it again in the future?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On ships with the American table/feast menus, you will only see the Bitter n Blanc on cruises of 8 days or longer. So not totally eliminated on cruises with the American menus.

This thread is too much fun. If you live solo and cook solo...or you live with a family and cook for a family; the variety and quality is astounding on a value cruise. There are going to be taste bud changes and goofs....but seriously...it is just amazing how many of us have options we love and dream about new things each time!

Edited by sjn911

Can preorder a Non-Vegetarian Indian meal the night before. There are many, many dishes on there. One of the proteins gets exchanged for a meat. Never had one I didn't like (if I liked the ingredients, eggplant makes me shudder)

Thank you for this tip Sadie! Do I ask the waiter or the maître d' and do they have a menu? We will definitely do this on our next sailing.

Best: French Onion Soup, Wagyu Beef and Beet Leather from Chef's Table, Tenderloin from Steakhouse selection, Tiramisu, Pizza, Double Bloody Mary:D

Worst: Alligator Fritters, Flat Iron Steak, Lasagna when it's served cold, and the humongous stale serving of Cheese Cake from the Steakhouse :eek:

Edited by Fighterone

Best would have to be the rib-eye steak in the Steakhouse, with the stuffed mushrooms on elegant night a very close second.

Worst hands down would be the diet pumpkin pie. Truly like eating lightly pumpkin flavoured paste. Yuck!

I had the Bitter n Blanc on the 8 night Mediterranean on the Vista, that stuff rocked my world! Seriously, the best dessert I've had on any cruise ship. I'm looking forward to it again next June when we return to the Vista.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree, I thought my favorite was the chocolate melting cake until I tried the bitter and blanc. I got the recipe and made it at home. It was delicious!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my biggest disappointment is the chocolate extravaganza. Everything always looks wonderful and when I make up a variety plate it never seems to be as good as it looks.

I had the same experience with it. I expected some rock my world chocolate. It was so beautiful but it really was just average chocolate. Not bad but not what I was expecting. Guess it's more a of a carving chocolate than a yummy tasting chocolate.

I think savory things are more my fave than sweet on the cruises like some of the meats. Although I like the chocolate soft serve when the machines are working. MMM

Edited by poobears

LOL, I forgot the Pumpkin Pie. I had read so many times how bad it was, that I had to order it a couple of cruises ago. Yep, it is that bad! I love Carnival's pumpkin soup, and I usually only eat pumpkin in the fall around Thanksgiving time. But, really that has to be one of the worse things on their menu. Don't see on American Table menu. Hopefully they got the idea that we don't like it. I wonder if there is any one out there who had it and liked it.

Edited by SMSACE6

The pizza was by far the worse. Burnt black on the bottom, gooey on top. I saw lots of it left on plates here and there uneaten. The dinner rolls are the best with butter. Oh yes, that Pumpkin Pie (diet) was horrid - worse ever!

Edited by elliair

I forget what it's called but the stuffed mushrooms on the first elegant night are amazing. Also they put some kind of addictive drug in the Caesar salad.

BEST Caesar dressing of all time! Got the recipe from the chef on the Miracle, had it translated by a chef friend to normal portions and make it all the time now.:D

Absolute Best: Brioche with blue cheese at Chef's Table. Period.

Close Second: Wagyu, Chef's Table

Close Nexts: Beef Carpaccio, Steakhouse; Same in MDR; Cold fruit soups, MDR; Cheeseplates anywhere.

Ask for butter; many appetizers in MDR; cabin-mate liked Sushi Bar.

There is really good food on Carnival in the MDR and at sea day brunch. I enjoyed every meal with the disclaimer that I stopped eating from the buffet long ago.

I've always liked the lasagna and the bbq and short ribs from the old menus at dinner. I like the cold soups.

I didn't like the meatloaf (and I like meatloaf). And the solid block of scrambled eggs are literally hard to stomach.

The inexpensive but incredible multi-layer cakes they sell at the coffee bar. The chocolate layer and carrot cake are outstanding.

Edited by John Reid

The best for me was the Chocolate melting cake. The worst was the Diet pumpkin pie.

I could not stomach anything on the chocolate buffet.

But I don't know if they still have it on the menu, but also enjoyed the diet lemon cake.

But I can't say I ever found anything bad for regular food, everything I had was really good.

I like most of their food, but on the Fascination back in 2010, I had the lobster bisque.

Whatever they served was far from a bisque. It smelled heavily of fish and had the consistancy of a basic broth. I almost threw up on the table. Hubby pulled the bowl away, and when he got a whiff of it. He described it as fishing chum, lol.

I've always been afraid to try it on the ships again. Maybe I'll try it, if I see somebody else with a decent looking bowl of it.