Okay, so what's the best thing you've eaten on a Carnival cruise... and the worst?

jeepers13

I've never tried a hot dog.

The chicken tenders and french fries are a great snack to have by the pool :)

I always had a little happy hour about 4pm on the ships that still have the Grill. I guess Guy's Burgers have replaced most of them. They had really great pita chips and I would slather them with chili and melted cheese and put some sour cream on the side for dipping. I'd throw a couple of chicken tenders on the plate for "dessert!" :p;) LOVE Guys, but miss the grill for those extra items. We have only been on one ship that had the Fish and Chips (Liberty) but their fries were the BEST. I don't like the Guy's seasoned fries (why can't they offer them either plain or seasoned? :confused:) so I'd go up and get a basket of fries from F and C and eat those with my burger. :cool:

the best by far Lamb Shank in the MDR. and the worst is the BITTER AND BLANC i try bread pudding every where i go and this is by far the worst

sorry bitter and blanc lovers

I've had some good B&B, but I've found I need to ask to have the sauce left on the side. One time the waiter, I think assuming everyone loves as sweet a dessert as possible - poured I think that whole pitcher of sweet stuff into my bread pudding. Even had me make a crater in the middle so more would go in. It was so sweet I could not eat it. Shudder, teeth hurting sweet. Also, it really needs the little bit of dark chocolate in the bread to balance it. If you manage to get one that is light on the chocolate it will not have the right flavor.

I've had some good B&B, but I've found I need to ask to have the sauce left on the side. One time the waiter, I think assuming everyone loves as sweet a dessert as possible - poured I think that whole pitcher of sweet stuff into my bread pudding. Even had me make a crater in the middle so more would go in. It was so sweet I could not eat it. Shudder, teeth hurting sweet. Also, it really needs the little bit of dark chocolate in the bread to balance it. If you manage to get one that is light on the chocolate it will not have the right flavor.

the bread was so hard i asked for more sauce but that did not fix what was wrong so i gave it to DW she said it was ok to her, i haven't tried the chocolate melting cake yet will do on my November cruise coming up

Got a terrible steak in the Steakhouse on Pride. Couldn't figure out what it was. Couldn't get the attention of a wait person to change it.

I like the asparagus vichyssoise. The first time I got it the waiter left the bowl with the small mound of asparagus in it and left. I saw him looking at me for my reaction. When I didn't give him one (although I was asking my son WTH?) he poured the soup in.

• 2 weeks later...

Best: Mongolian Wok (I miss it so much), WCMC, Guy's plain-jane, lasagna from Pizza Pirate Plus (hope they still offer this late-night on Conquest), pastrami from the deli.

Worst: my sister has a high tolerance for seafood and said the frog legs (on the "Didja Ever?" menu) were terrible. I'll go with that. :)

DW and I have enjoyed the MDR food on Carnival, although we like some things more than others. We also use the opportunity to order things we normally wouldn't eat. Cold fruit soups and the breads are high on the list of things we really like.

For the worst! I don't remember the ship, but I remember our table mates, and the lobster bisque was universally reviled. Listening in on the conversations at neighboring tables, and our view of this ocean going abomination was not unique.

-John

Best: Mongolian Wok (I miss it so much), WCMC, Guy's plain-jane, lasagna from Pizza Pirate Plus (hope they still offer this late-night on Conquest), pastrami from the deli.

Worst: my sister has a high tolerance for seafood and said the frog legs (on the "Didja Ever?" menu) were terrible. I'll go with that. :)

Hey Paul, I didn't see lasagna on the menu at Pizza Pirate last month. I sure would have ordered it. The funghi pizza was delicious though, straight out of that oven.

Hey Paul, I didn't see lasagna on the menu at Pizza Pirate last month. I sure would have ordered it. The funghi pizza was delicious though, straight out of that oven.

I've only seen it in the pasta bar, either Pasta Bella or the Cucina Del Capitano during lunch.

My favorite now is the steak and eggs from brunch. The Huevos Rancheros weren't as good as I remembered last week. Least favorite is tough to say, the one bad thing I had last cruise was a crostini from the taste bar that must have been sliced about a month ago based on how stale the bread was.

DW and I have enjoyed the MDR food on Carnival, although we like some things more than others. We also use the opportunity to order things we normally wouldn't eat. Cold fruit soups and the breads are high on the list of things we really like.

For the worst! I don't remember the ship, but I remember our table mates, and the lobster bisque was universally reviled. Listening in on the conversations at neighboring tables, and our view of this ocean going abomination was not unique.

-John

The only Lobster Bisque worth eating is in the Steakhouse.

Best: Caramelized Lemon Custard with Basil Ice Cream (no longer being served. Sigh.)

Worst: a lobster tail that tasted like Clorox. Not saying it had Clorox in it, just that that is the best description I can come up with. Ordered a replacement and it was okay, though I'd sort of lost my appetite for lobster at that point.

Fortunately, I've tasted far more good dishes than bad on Carnival.

Worst: creme brûlée when the top still has undissolved sugar and is hard as a rock.

That sounds better than the crème brulee with a totally liquid top.

They used to have a dessert that was a fig cake with basil ice cream.

The basil ice cream sounds a bit weird, but was fabulous...and memorable.

There was also a really interesting lavender desert.

I wish I had photos of the antipasto they used to have at lunch.

It had baby octopus and other interesting stuff in it.

Definitely a reminder of high school science lab. :)

I used to go just to watch people's faces when it was served.

The stuffed mushrooms appetizer was delicious.

They're served on a kind of romesco sauce, but it's difficult to get much of it because that never give you a spoon. :(

I love the sauce as well. I dip my bread in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weirdest thing I ate was some kind of popcorn pudding, not sure what it was called. We had it on the Pride about a month ago, it wasn't bad, just weird. Has anyone else had that?

We had it on the Vista, or actually I had it. It was weird, but I kind of liked it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, don't get me wrong, I really like the pizza too! Beats the crap out of the 24-hour pizza on Royal.

The lasagna appeared on the menu at Pizza Pirate at around 11 pm, and the posted menu changed to "Pizza Pirate Plus." Later that night the line for pizza snaked around the corner and forward from there, probably 20-30 people long...and there was no-one on the other side of Pizza Pirate where they had the lasagna. When I walked by with the lasagna, people's jaws just dropped open. :)