Kangaroo Island, Australia

surfdog22

We are booked on the HAL Maasdam circumnavigation of Australia departing 10/20/16. We just booked the Kangaroo Island 4WD Safari for $579 each which is more money than I have ever spent on an excursion. Was wondering if anyone has done this with a local tour company and what their experience was. This looks like a once in a lifetime experience so we are really looking forward to it.

I've not done the tour but $579 pp seems very expensive. Is that US$

This is a link to a typical tour.

https://www.sealink.com.au/kangaroo-island-tours/1-day-tours/remarkably-wild-day-tour/

Does the cruise stop at Kangaroo Island or does that price include the ferry crossing from Adelaide?

Edited by Stratheden

Thanks for the link. It is not clear where your tour starts from. This is the problem I have. The ship stops in Adelaide and Penneshaw and the Kangaroo Island excursions are all from Penneshaw which I think is on Kangaroo Island, at least google maps says so. Most of the tours I have seen originate from Adelaide.

The cost is in US dollars.

Kangaroo Island is an amazing place - I spent a week there on a photographic trip a couple of years ago - and I'm hoping to return on a HAL ship in 18 months.

There is a lot to see and when I did it we did not use a 4WD and we were still able to see everything.

When I revisit on my HAL cruise I would look at hiring a vehicle and heading to Flinders National Park and the Remarkables first thing and then come back via Seal Bay which would then be about 1-1.25 hour drive back to the Maasdam at Peneshaw.

If you don't want to drive yourself and can't arrange a private tour then I would go with a HAL tour as you might not get back by the all aboard time on a standard local day tour.

We have done this excursion with HAL in WC 2013 .. it was one of the most amazing ones to date and we have almost 40 cruises under our belts. Wandering thru the island interior on foot , noting the nesting places of the kangaroo groups, discovering the bones of the deceased ones, and just enjoying the 'boonies' was we use to call it in the army was fabulous.

Then they had a lunch that I thought was put on bu Pinnacle Grill .. they set up in the middle of nowhere, had wine, beer, cold drinks .. steak and fish were grilled and we were treated like kings/queens. The meal was a PG type experience.

This is well worth the cost ...

BTW, there are four to a car so it is desirable to put/choose who you go with.

harry

HAL has a few 4x4 tours out of Penneshaw on Kangaroo Island, which is where the ships dock. Do not know prices but check under your reservation for excursions and you should be able to see the prices. At least you can compare the independent and HAL tour providers as the price you quoted as per person seems high unless you are coming from Adelaide. Also, double check as in my research (I will be there in 2018) the prices I found were in AUS $ so maybe the cost is more in the US $ 450 range.

I see the 4WD safari gets rave reviews but I would research the local tours in the link provided above and via Trip Advisor. I expect this is the equivalent tour by a local tour provider http://wildernesstours.com.au/1-day-wilderness-south-coast-4wd-tour/. It costs $AUS451 or $US340 and is available on the day you are on KI - its a saving of about $US240 per person. It originates from a different town on the island but I'm sure they'll be doing tours for the ship visit.

I see the 4WD safari gets rave reviews but I would research the local tours in the link provided above and via Trip Advisor. I expect this is the equivalent tour by a local tour provider http://wildernesstours.com.au/1-day-wilderness-south-coast-4wd-tour/. It costs $AUS451 or $US340 and is available on the day you are on KI - its a saving of about $US240 per person. It originates from a different town on the island but I'm sure they'll be doing tours for the ship visit.

I agree, Kangaroo Island is fantastic but I would see what the alternatives are other then HAL, $579/pp is a lot of money.

HAL has a few 4x4 tours out of Penneshaw on Kangaroo Island, which is where the ships dock. Do not know prices but check under your reservation for excursions and you should be able to see the prices. At least you can compare the independent and HAL tour providers as the price you quoted as per person seems high unless you are coming from Adelaide. Also, double check as in my research (I will be there in 2018) the prices I found were in AUS $ so maybe the cost is more in the US $ 450 range.

Just for information sake, in 2013, on our excursion, HAL had hired approximately 12 vehicles ... the other group that went with 3d party did not have a cookout in the middle of nowhere as I described earlier. Granted, it is quite expensive and maybe if the meal is not worth it, going 3d party would make sense to save money.

Regardless, you dont want to miss going there.

harry

I'm currently planning an Australian trip for next year and looking at the Indian Pacific train from Perth to Adelaide. In Adelaide, one of the offered tours is to Kangaroo Island. The cost is Aus D. 275 pp. including hotel pickup (Adelaide) lunch, ferry etc.

A two day excursion including overnight hotel, breakfast, two lunches is listed at Aus D 598.

Makes the HAL trip look very expensive.

http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/trains/extend_the_journey/tours/adelaide/kangaroo_island_experience/

http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/trains/extend_the_journey/tours/adelaide/best_of_kangaroo_island/

We are booked on the HAL Maasdam circumnavigation of Australia departing 10/20/16. We just booked the Kangaroo Island 4WD Safari for $579 each which is more money than I have ever spent on an excursion. Was wondering if anyone has done this with a local tour company and what their experience was. This looks like a once in a lifetime experience so we are really looking forward to it.

Surfdog22 - are you on our Roll Call for this trip? If not come on over and sign in.