Invest 99 -- may turn into a Tropical Storm etc.

Has anyone been affected by Invest 99 that is to move through the Caribbean and Bahamas later this week. I read that OA had to turn back to the Bahamas due to a medical emergency and won't be going to St. Thomas and St. Kitts -- rather to San Juan and Labadee -- due to the storm. We have friends on FR doing an Eastern Itinerary.

Looking for perspective and advice here.

Supposed to be heading out Saturday for RC Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise (Labadee/Jamaica/Cozumel) with my 13-yo son - our first cruise ever! - but I'm dismayed to see the Invest 99L reports.

It looks like whether this develops into an actual hurricane or just a tropical storm, they are predicting rough seas and torrential rain for the entire area we are supposed to be cruising. NOT what we wanted for our first cruise.

What happens now? I really have no idea what to expect from RC but think I understand that it's up to them to either change the course of the cruise (hard to imagine where else they could sail given the huge area of the predicted

storm) or cancel (unlikely).

Given RC's ugly experience with Anthem this February - where they set sail in predicted bad weather intending to "go around" the storm but ended up right in it with ship damage and had to return to port - I'm really concerned about the "we'll go around it" option.

We are supposed to fly into Ft Lauderdale Friday and leave port Saturday.

And I did buy Travel Insurance but need to check the details of my policy. Not sure if I can choose to cancel myself due to weather if RC doesn't choose to cancel?

THANK YOU for any advice or perspective or direction you can give to help me think about this clearly and plan pro-actively.

Just keep checking on the RCCL website for any update on sailings that may be impacted by weather. They will not go through a tropical storm or hurricane but will change itinerary.

Since the storm has not developed and still a few days out, I wouldn't expect any updates until Thursday or Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Supposed to be heading out Saturday for RC Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise (Labadee/Jamaica/Cozumel) with my 13-yo son - our first cruise ever! - but I'm dismayed to see the Invest 99L reports.

It looks like whether this develops into an actual hurricane or just a tropical storm, they are predicting rough seas and torrential rain for the entire area we are supposed to be cruising. NOT what we wanted for our first cruise.

What happens now? I really have no idea what to expect from RC but think I understand that it's up to them to either change the course of the cruise (hard to imagine where else they could sail given the huge area of the predicted

Given RC's ugly experience with Anthem this February - where they set sail in predicted bad weather intending to "go around" the storm but ended up right in it with ship damage and had to return to port - I'm really concerned about the "we'll go around it" option.

And I did buy Travel Insurance but need to check the details of my policy. Not sure if I can choose to cancel myself due to weather if RC doesn't choose to cancel?

THANK YOU for any advice or perspective or direction you can give to help me think about this clearly and plan pro-actively.

Don't cancel your cruise. Worst case scenario, your itinerary will change. The captain will do everything possible to avoid bad weather a keep it sunny for you. This storm will not be a major hurricane, so get packing and enjoy your cruise! :D

Don't cancel your cruise. Worst case scenario, your itinerary will change. The captain will do everything possible to avoid bad weather a keep it sunny for you. This storm will not be a major hurricane, so get packing and enjoy your cruise! :D

Exactly!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH and I are on the same cruise with you. We also live in S Florida. They say it shouldn't be in S Florida until Sunday. My guess would be that they would change our itinerary around and we would go Cozumel/Jamaica/Labadee. That would put us ahead of the storm leaving and behind the storm coming home.

Edited by cruisinck

I wonder how rough a ride we will have on the MJ this weekend:eek::eek: The latest update is not looking good........funny thing,4 years ago today,we boarded the MN.....turned into a cruise to nowhere because of the storm out there!!

I don't believe there is any travel policy that would cover you cancelling a cruise just because you didn't like the weather forecast. Now if RCI cancelled the cruise, yes. I have never heard of that happening. I agree with others. Just go and enjoy. You will be okay with whatever itinerary experience since you have never been on any Caribbean cruise before!

DH and I are on the same cruise with you. We also live in S Florida. They say it shouldn't be in S Florida until Sunday. My guess would be that they would change our itinerary around and we would go Cozumel/Jamaica/Labadee. That would put us ahead of the storm leaving and behind the storm coming home.

I was a little worried about our Eastern Caribbean sailing on September 3 (until I figured out the possible storm was moving faster than I thought). I spent some time researching the ports our ship visits on it's western route, just in case. I don't want to get on board and then find out I need to make alternative plans. I feel better now that I have a general idea of what I would like to do if rerouted. In fact, I am now looking for a cruise that includes one of the western ports I researched.

We are in St Thomas right now (another cruise line). We are pretty close to being directly under the center of Invest 99. Raining off/on all day but no significant winds. Heading back to Nashua this evening so, unless the Captain changes the normal course, we should be traveling along side it's path all the way back as it develops into Hermine. We're in for an interesting ride.

Then we're booked on Majesty for Monday. Much smaller ship but hoping that Hermine (by that time) will have crossed Florida to the Gulf side.

Who want's a normal, calm, safe, boring cruise? Let the fun begin. The Captain is invested in keeping their billion dollar ship safe so I am not worried.

I wouldn't worry about the cruise. We have sailed around a hurricane much larger than anything they are predicting invest 99 to become and with a very small cruise ship. Worst case....they change up your ports...or you float it out. Thankfully there is plenty to do on the Oasis. Just pay close attention to any flight changes or flight advisories and enjoy your cruise.

worse case scenario you'll have great stories and memories.

My husband and I still laugh at our one and only HAL cruise. It was only my second cruise ever (first was on the Freedom for our wedding) but he had been on a few more. The first night there was a problem with the stabilizers (I think that is what they're called) every one was falling in the hallways, barely any one was in the MDR, the water in our glasses was splashing out and our cabinet doors were slamming open and shut. By the next afternoon things were much calmer and we enjoyed the cruise but I along with many others was green that first night. looking back wouldn't trade it, it made fun conversation and memories and now we look back and laugh at it.

We are on Enchantment this weekend. Not expecting a great weather weekend but we will still have fun. DH and I have been on many rainy weekends and we just decide to have a good time no matter what.

Not sure where they will redirect us if we cannot get to the Bahamas b/c of the storm, but guess we will wait and see what happens

Going on MSC Divina , leaving this Saturday out of Miami 7day-Ports of St. Martten, Puerto Rico, and Bahamas. Im sure by then, there will be rain and storm in the surrounding area of Miami and the seas.Was wondering if they will re route in the beginning leg of the cruise to avoid the storm. Instead of Eastern then Western Caribbean? Do cruise companies reroute to only places they are allowed or can go to any island with other cruise liners? Just wondering.

Going on MSC Divina , leaving this Saturday out of Miami 7day-Ports of St. Martten, Puerto Rico, and Bahamas. Im sure by then, there will be rain and storm in the surrounding area of Miami and the seas.Was wondering if they will re route in the beginning leg of the cruise to avoid the storm. Instead of Eastern then Western Caribbean? Do cruise companies reroute to only places they are allowed or can go to any island with other cruise liners? Just wondering.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You may also want to ask this on the dedicated MSC forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Thank you all for your thoughtful & funny & wise responses (and even photographs!) to my concerns about our Oasis cruise this Saturday.

I can't thank each and every one of you enough. We read and discussed each and every response and after consulting the weather tonight, we decided to head down there and hope for the best.

It seems less likely to be an actual hurricane and more likely to be a storm that will head north through Florida.

As my son said, "Maybe it rains the whole time. Maybe it doesn't. It will be an adventure either way!"

Thanks again and best wishes to everyone for safe cruising!

Thank you all for your thoughtful & funny & wise responses (and even photographs!) to my concerns about our Oasis cruise this Saturday.

I can't thank each and every one of you enough. We read and discussed each and every response and after consulting the weather tonight, we decided to head down there and hope for the best.

It seems less likely to be an actual hurricane and more likely to be a storm that will head north through Florida.

As my son said, "Maybe it rains the whole time. Maybe it doesn't. It will be an adventure either way!"

Thanks again and best wishes to everyone for safe cruising!

Yay, good attitude to have! On Allure, we had terrible weather - rained the WHOLE time in all of the ports and we still had a blast - headed back to the ship early and enjoyed a very nice happy hour and had extra time on the ship :) I sail right after you, so take good care of the ship for us, don't drink all the booze or eat all the pizza :P

Edited by aubreyc1988