Cancellation vs Delay

With the weather patterns forming for this weekend of 08/27, I am trying to get information on what determines if an entire cruise is cancelled versus departing a day or two later when the weather clears. I am flying from out of town to Ft lauderdale and assessing my options in case of impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the weather patterns forming for this weekend of 08/27, I am trying to get information on what determines if an entire cruise is cancelled versus departing a day or two later when the weather clears. I am flying from out of town to Ft lauderdale and assessing my options in case of impact.

Very seldom will you find a cruise canceled. RCI may delay departure or return to port. They may also reroute your cruise. Either way, You should plan on an enjoyable cruise.:D

Thanks.

If they delay departure to the next day, do they provide night accommodation or is it up to us out if towers to find a hotel room on our own sitting at the cruise terminal?

If the storm were hitting your departure port that's when they would decide to cancel or delay.

From my experience, they hardly ever cancel. For us we had cruises where hurricanes fell either right before departure or after we got back we were never delayed. They just made adjustments to the trip with changing or skipping ports.

Want to add, if they know ahead they are going to delay or change ports, sometimes they will give you the option to cancel and rebook. One of our crusies out of Baltimore was delayed for Noro and they offered us changing the trip at no charge.

Edited by hansolosmom

We sailed on Anthem in Jan, our cruise was cut a day short and they completely changed our itinerary because the previous cruise was a day late coming back due to a massive snow storm. We got $200 obc to make up for the lost day and different itinerary (was western originally, ended up being eastern)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The skies were blue over Ft Lauderdale today.

Biker, who can play weather man as much as the next guy.

People have legitimate concerns and you need not minimalize them. Skies may be blue today but my not be on Sunday

I was cruising during hurricane Andrew.,we were delayed a day. We were in Florida checked out of hotel and then found out cruise was delayed. Had a very hard time getting hotel. If I were you I would book a hotel room with liberal cancellation policy and cancel it if I didn't need it rather than trying to find a hotel if your delayed.

I have experienced most combinations of last-minute changes.

Royal Caribbean will take care of everything.

If they keep the ship out to sea and you can't board for a day or two, they will pay for hotel, meals, and transportation, within reason.

If they alert you ahead of time and you change flights, they will cover the change fee.

If they change your itinerary, and the port fees increase, they will not charge you more.

If they change your itinerary and the port fees decrease, they will give you a refund as OBC on your SeaPass account.

I have no complaints about how RC treated me on any of these occasions.

If you have more specific questions or concerns, please ask.

If they keep the ship out to sea and you can't board for a day or two, they will pay for hotel, meals, and transportation, within reason.

If they alert you ahead of time and you change flights, they will cover the change fee.

If they change your itinerary, and the port fees increase, they will not charge you more.

If they change your itinerary and the port fees decrease, they will give you a refund as OBC on your SeaPass account.

THANK YOU!! It is very nerve-wracking when you do not know what to expect. Glad to know they will accomodate us . Set to leave Sunday and invest 99l is a concern.

THANK YOU!! It is very nerve-wracking when you do not know what to expect. Glad to know they will accomodate us . Set to leave Sunday and invest 99l is a concern.

Check your travel insurance and keep checking your airlines website for any possible changes to flight schedules as this system approaches us. I will say this ....many years ago we were in Bermuda with Celebrity during a hurricane...I felt totally safe.

In Jan 2012 we were scheduled to sail the Explorer out of Bayonnne. We got phone calls and emails that we would be delayed. A passenger on the incoming cruise had become injured on St. Thomas and reboarded not realizing how seriously he had been hurt. The ship had to turn back to San Juan to meet a helicopter to airlift the passenger off the ship causing the ship to arrive in Bayonne a day late. For us in NJ no big deal. For people who flew in RCI arranged for hotels for them, reimbursed them for meals and arranged for tours, at passengers expense, if they wanted them. It was to be a 10 day cruise, shortened to 9 days. Expected to get back 10% back, but got 15% as an obc (think they would have put it credit card). A few complaints about missing Labadee, but on the whole everyone understood and felt that RCI did the right thing.

In Jan 2012 we were scheduled to sail the Explorer out of Bayonnne. We got phone calls and emails that we would be delayed. A passenger on the incoming cruise had become injured on St. Thomas and reboarded not realizing how seriously he had been hurt. The ship had to turn back to San Juan to meet a helicopter to airlift the passenger off the ship causing the ship to arrive in Bayonne a day late. For us in NJ no big deal. For people who flew in RCI arranged for hotels for them, reimbursed them for meals and arranged for tours, at passengers expense, if they wanted them. It was to be a 10 day cruise, shortened to 9 days. Expected to get back 10% back, but got 15% as an obc (think they would have put it credit card). A few complaints about missing Labadee, but on the whole everyone understood and felt that RCI did the right thing.

I remember that. We were on the cruise before you (that got an extra sea day). Royal handled it all very well.

Well said. Thanks.

MM, when they gave you advance notice prior to the cruise do you remember how many days it was? I'm watching the weather sites, RC and Delta. We fly into FLL on Saturday 6pm for Allure on Sunday. I might book another room for Sunday night which could be cancelled on Saturday, just in case.

As of now, the worst day appears to be Sunday. We have insurance but I am a proactive-planner. Thanks for the info.

MM, when they gave you advance notice prior to the cruise do you remember how many days it was? I'm watching the weather sites, RC and Delta. We fly into FLL on Saturday 6pm for Allure on Sunday. I might book another room for Sunday night which could be cancelled on Saturday, just in case.

As of now, the worst day appears to be Sunday. We have insurance but I am a proactive-planner. Thanks for the info.

Andrew, I would go ahead and book the room now just in case. As long as you are getting one that can be cancelled with 24 hours notice you have nothing to lose. If things did get delayed (I hope they don't) you could have 6000 pax just from Harmony not to mention any other ships that this may impact, looking for rooms. Things could get pretty crazy with all those people looking for rooms and many may find themselves a ways away from the port.

Andrew, I would go ahead and book the room now just in case. As long as you are getting one that can be cancelled with 24 hours notice you have nothing to lose. If things did get delayed (I hope they don't) you could have 6000 pax just from Harmony not to mention any other ships that this may impact, looking for rooms. Things could get pretty crazy with all those people looking for rooms and many may find themselves a ways away from the port.

Ken, that is what I am going to do this morning for the same hotel we are already staying at. It has to be cancelled 24 hours in advance, which on Saturday we will know where the storm is and what RC plans are. I'd rather be proactive than reactive.

Andrew, booking ahead for a hotel for Sunday night is a great plan. We live on Ft Lauderdale Beach and our condo association aggressively pursues Ft. Lauderdale's mandatory evacuation of Beach residents for a Hurricane 1 warning. If we were not leaving on the Oasis on Saturday, I would be booking a hotel for the weekend as a backup plan. Sometimes the only hotels we have been able to get for Hurricane warnings are way west of I-95 and not the nicest in terms of resort ambience. But that is just part of the incredible life and joy we have of living across the street from the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone correct me but it looks like this storm is headed towards Bermuda. Maybe the advice might be to get to FL a day early depending on all the factors.

There are currently 2 systems in the Atlantic. Gaston is headed toward Bermuda. Invest 99 is be watched and will be updated today is the storm that is concern for Fl.