NCL Sky - Onboard charges

Pickles61

HI

My son in on the NCL SKY this week. He gave his credit card to be used for on-board purchased, gratuities etc. I had told him to make sure he checks the bill to see that there are no unauthorized charges, but what I am seeing is that NCL is charging his charge card every day and not waiting for the end of the cruise. He had $150 charge that he knows nothing about along with another charge. Today I say a charge for 1 day's gratuity Is this something new that they charge your credit card as soon as a charge is made and not wait till the end of the cruise?

He is using a American Express credit card, not a debit card

Thanks

It is my understanding they will put holds on the account throughout the cruise, are you possibly seeing that?

Thanks, I saw a charge today for gratuities so maybe that is a hold, but the other 2 charges he doesn't know what they are. I don't remember ever having holds put against my charge card on other cruises but I haven't been on NCL in a long time. I told him to go to customer service to find out

Thanks, I saw a charge today for gratuities so maybe that is a hold, but the other 2 charges he doesn't know what they are. I don't remember ever having holds put against my charge card on other cruises but I haven't been on NCL in a long time. I told him to go to customer service to find out

That was good advice. They do charge the service charges daily (unless they are pre-paid) but those are charged to the onboard account, not the charge card on file.

I have had individual holds go against my card at various times during a cruise.

A few years back, when the card I used was one that notified me via the app when a charge was made, I even had a notification for the cost of a beer as I walked away from a bar. That was an Amex I think.

How the holds are dealt with seems to vary from cruise to cruise and depending on the card used. The result on my statement has always been the same though, just one final charge which agrees with my final bill.

Edited by KeithJenner

I was on the Sky this weekend. I also have never seen multiple holds on an NCL cruise before, but when I checked my transactions on Monday there were about a half dozen NCL charges pending amounting to about $50 over what my final statement said. The actual amounts made very little sense and were apparently just grouped randomly. (Also had that starting $150 charge). Checking again this morning, all pending charges have been dropped and I have one posted charge which is accurate.

In the past I have always had a pending charge of the total that stayed pending for quite awhile after the full charge had posted, ultimately freezing twice my spending until the pending charge finally dropped. I think I prefer the new way.

I think it also makes a difference whether he used a "real" credit card or an ATM Check card that's tied directly to his checking/savings account.

My son took a cruise on Carnival a few years back (we TRIED to get him to go on NCL but Carnival was cheaper...lol) & used his ATM Check card & the same sort of behavior took place daily.

I'd advise your son to do the same thing I told mine; keep all your receipts in an envelope, stop by the reception desk every other day or so & ask them to print out his bill as of that day & just keep track of all his charges. Also when he gets the final bill on the last day of his cruise make sure he compares it to his monthly credit card bill when that arrives.

Tom K.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep on eye on his charges while he's on the cruise and he'll watch his bill so we can make sure the charges are correct

You are making something of nothing. There is no need or reason to daily monitor his AMEX account. They have not charged his card, they have simply put a bunch of holds. The holds will fall off in a week or 10 days when the final NCL charge comes through. He is using AMEX, they are great to work with in the unlikely event that an unauthorized charge appears.

You are over stressing about nothing. Wait until two or three weeks after he disembarks and then make sure that he was only charged for what he purchased. If anything unauthorized appears, THEN, and only then do you contact AMEX and let them deal with it.

Edited by zqvol

You are making something of nothing. There is no need or reason to daily monitor his AMEX account. They have not charged his card, they have simply put a bunch of holds. The holds will fall off in a week or 10 days when the final NCL charge comes through. He is using AMEX, they are great to work with in the unlikely event that an unauthorized charge appears.

You are over stressing about nothing. Wait until two or three weeks after he disembarks and then make sure that he was only charged for what he purchased. If anything unauthorized appears, THEN, and only then do you contact AMEX and let them deal with it.

I agree. The OP is looking at Pending Charges most of which will drop off with final bill. On NCL for my husband and I we had a $300 pending charge every few days. That did not show up on final accounting and dropped off.

Nope not stressing just asking a question since this is the first time I've seen something like this.

I think it also makes a difference whether he used a "real" credit card or an ATM Check card that's tied directly to his checking/savings account.

My son took a cruise on Carnival a few years back (we TRIED to get him to go on NCL but Carnival was cheaper...lol) & used his ATM Check card & the same sort of behavior took place daily.

I'd advise your son to do the same thing I told mine; keep all your receipts in an envelope, stop by the reception desk every other day or so & ask them to print out his bill as of that day & just keep track of all his charges. Also when he gets the final bill on the last day of his cruise make sure he compares it to his monthly credit card bill when that arrives.

Tom K.

Thanks. He went to customer service and the confirmed its just a hold on his credit card. I told him to keep track of what the are charging him and what he is actually spending. Since Sky is "open bar" his bill should be low

Thanks. He went to customer service and the confirmed its just a hold on his credit card. I told him to keep track of what the are charging him and what he is actually spending. Since Sky is "open bar" his bill should be low

My daughter had that happen recently. Made a $2 purchase and they put a $100 hold on her card. She didn't realize it was a hold until she contacted her card company. We were on vacation and she thought someone had stolen her card information when she saw the $100 on her card.

If worried, he can get a print out from customer service of his charges and check each day versus waiting until the end of the cruise for the final one. But I agree that it is all just pending charges. You said you never saw that before but when you are on a cruise are you monitoring your credit card account each day?

• 2 weeks later...
If worried, he can get a print out from customer service of his charges and check each day versus waiting until the end of the cruise for the final one. But I agree that it is all just pending charges. You said you never saw that before but when you are on a cruise are you monitoring your credit card account each day?

I know we aren't, cruises are for relaxing and enjoying lounging next to the pool or beach with a cold drink in your hand and the sun on your face....many companies put holds on credit cards, from hotels to car rentals and yes Cruises too..They are honest and just watching their bottom line..