Joining cruise late ...is it possible?

Spideysmum

I will contact Princess to inquire but thought I'd ask here first, as this is all up in the air right now. Hubby and I are booked in a balcony cabin for a British isles cruise next May. Our daughter has expressed interest in joining us and we would try to book a mini suite then to accommodate the three of us. The problem is that because of a work commitment she couldn't be at the embarkation in Southampton. It looks as if she could fly to Dublin and join us at that port.

Does that look possible? Of course she would pay full fare. I know that to leave the ship early (as her parents are doing at the last port) there must be permissions in writing from the company. So just wondering if anyone else has done this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is possible, however it requires prior approval from Princess. You are requesting a route deviation. A couple of thoughts - is Dublin a port that is often missed? What will the plan be if the ship cannot dock? You have already noted that you will pay the full fare.

We did this on a cruise last year that departed Southampton - we joined the next day in Amsterdam. You may get various answers....I know someone on the same cruise who asked about joining in Amsterdam and was told absolutely not possible and was also told that no one was joining there.

The process was quite simple when we arrived, and our bags were put through the regular scanner they use when folks return to the ship.

If you get someone who isn't familiar with what you are asking, request a supervisor or call back.

Good luck!

I do not believe there are any cabotage issues on this idea.

Regards John

It's my understanding that there are cabotage laws in Europe (much like the PVSA in the US). Sorry, I don't know the specifics of them, though.

I will contact Princess to inquire but thought I'd ask here first, as this is all up in the air right now. Hubby and I are booked in a balcony cabin for a British isles cruise next May. Our daughter has expressed interest in joining us and we would try to book a mini suite then to accommodate the three of us. The problem is that because of a work commitment she couldn't be at the embarkation in Southampton. It looks as if she could fly to Dublin and join us at that port.

Does that look possible? Of course she would pay full fare. I know that to leave the ship early (as her parents are doing at the last port) there must be permissions in writing from the company. So just wondering if anyone else has done this.

As with the early debarkation, late embarkation must be given the OK by the cruise line. We can't really answer for sure here whether it would be allowed or not.

It is not necessarily anti-cabotage rules but the tax regulations incentivising cruises that begin and end in an EU port to call at at least one non-EU port during the cruise.

If the OP's daughter joins the cruise in Dublin she will have missed embarking at Southampton plus calling at Guernsey and Cobh. And Guernsey is the one non-EU port on this itinerary. So there may or may not be either individual tax consequences for her (assessed VAT on all onboard purchases even in international waters) or for Princess.

Definitely need permission in writing well in advance before adding her to the booking.

Edited by fishywood

Thanks everyone. Agree we won't know for sure until we contact Princess it sounds much more complicated than our getting off early. As mentioned we won't know for sure if she actually would want to try until a bit further down She is planning to spend some time in London afterwards so maybe she'd just skip the cruise altogether. We will see. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cabotage laws for the EU are that you cannot be transported between two ports within a single member country, without making a port call at another country. And, the coastwise transport is available to any ship flagged in a member country. So, Southampton to Dublin to Liverpool would be okay for an Italian flag ship, but not for a Bahamian flag ship. Just like in the US, travel that starts in one country and ends in another is fine.

I believe fishywood is on the mark with the problems of VAT in the Channel Islands. I just researched this for another thread where they were cruising the Med from Spain, and thought the VAT would stop after leaving Spain, since one port call was Monaco. However, Monaco is tied to France as far as VAT goes. It gets a bit complex without a scorecard.

Wow guys. That's a real education you all just gave. Thanks. Don't think I'll bother contacting Princess after all. Just too complicated. I'll rest on laurels just to get the permissions for us to disembark early. [emoji56]

Wow guys. That's a real education you all just gave. Thanks. Don't think I'll bother contacting Princess after all. Just too complicated. I'll rest on laurels just to get the permissions for us to disembark early. [emoji56]

Well, you should still call Princess. The agent will fill out a form and send it to the appropriate department who will do the research and say yea or nay. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Well, you should still call Princess. The agent will fill out a form and send it to the appropriate department who will do the research and say yea or nay. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Wow it's good to know the right answer please let us know how you make out.

Good Luck,

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

EU VAT issues are a full employment scheme for accountancies; in the interest of my firm's continued success, please continue posing these questions and help us design ever more intricate strategies for tax efficiency for our maritime clients. I need the work. ;0)

Hi,

I've done this before in the UK. My family and I were getting on a ship sailing from Southhampton to NY. We asked if we could get on the boat either in Dublin or Cork and were given the okay. You do have to pay the full fare.

Trish

Ok. Texted kid last night and sent her a copy of this thread. She got back to me by saying that as long as she would fly into Dublin she thinks she would rather hang there for a few days and then push on to London anyway. Also said her idea of cruising involved lots of Mexican beaches and tropical drinks.

Why do I even try? So won't embarrass myself by contacting Princess. Thanks all who contributed. It was a nice thought for a bit. [emoji7]