Suggestions for Fall Foliage Cruise in Canada/USA

gutsylady

A few of my girlfriends and I are looking for a Fall Foliage cruise in 2017 through Canada and parts of the US. The youngest cruiser is in her mid 50s to 80 yrs (she's an active 80 that has more energy than we do at times). We want a mid to small sized ship with some luxury and fun. We aren't the type to be in bed by 10 pm.

I am open to your suggestions as to when is the best time of the year to visit to see the stunning colors and the names of mid to small sized ships. I would like to hear what you liked the best of your Fall foliage cruise. Thanks!

Much appreciated

Lovely. :) Many of the major lines have Canada/New England itineraries, but remember that they are timed to probably make the most of the fall foliage - there is never a guarantee. We went on Royal Caribbean and the only place with any color was Quebec City (fabulous, by the way!). I have cruised on several lines and I actually think Royal would meet your needs. There is good night life and they have an excellent product, overall. Celebrity and Holland America are also nice and a bit more upscale, but they are definitely quieter in the evenings.

You could ask a local travel agent to help you, or just go to the line websites and put in your destination and dates. You'll get some hits.

Look at cruises leaving from Quebec or NYC, Boston ports usually Sep or Oct are good for the colours but also could be hurricane or tropical storms at the time of year

Not sure what you consider smaller ships ? different people have different ideas

Mine is under 1500 Passenger

HAL, Oceania, Silversea, Seabourn, Viking & Crystal

all do the route it comes down to timing & your budget

I am in eastern Canada.....we do not normally have good fall colours until October. It would be unusual to have much colour in September. That said, it all depends, you need cold nights to get good colour and you can't really predict that. Thanksgiving is the second weekend of October, normally it is around that time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and we are already seeing some trees turn to orange and red, but not many. October is usually the peak of fall foliage.

If you wait into November, the winds usually clear off most of the leaves, and leave a very drab countryside.

For your best chances, try mid-October. No guarantee, of course.

Mid-October is probably best time for peak color. But, as a matter of fact the ship, rather than the leaves, should be your primary interest. You will not see that many trees while in port, unless you go out of town, and when not in port, you will not see much except while in the St. Lawrence.

If seeing Autumn colors is primary, you would do better with a driving trip through northern New England and adjoining Canada. Still an Autumn cruise north from New York or Boston is great (though cool sailing) as long as your leaf-peeping expectations are not too high.

For Nova Scotia generally the third week of October is best. But it is hard to predict.

Thst ids often (though not always when Boston and the 'suburbssburbs have the highest color. It varies every year..

Edited by sail7seas