Connection in Philadelphia or Miami

keltic

I have booked a Silversea cruise out of San Juan in early March. No direct flights from Europe to San Juan those days (7-12 march). So the most reasonable connection should be done in these two US cities. Philadelphia is less waiting time and gets earlier in San Juan.

There's a concern. I suppose weather conditions in Philly could be lousy in March and could affect flights operations. I feel that MIA has more stable weather and less likely to have weather disruptions.

Am I wrong?.

I have booked a Silversea cruise out of San Juan in early March. No direct flights from Europe to San Juan those days (7-12 march). So the most reasonable connection should be done in these two US cities. Philadelphia is less waiting time and gets earlier in San Juan.

There's a concern. I suppose weather conditions in Philly could be lousy in March and could affect flights operations. I feel that MIA has more stable weather and less likely to have weather disruptions.

Am I wrong?.

No. You are not wrong. Miami would not have the same weather concerns

as Philly in March. Are you flying in a day early? I would recommend

doing that no matter where the connection stops.

Thanks. Yes; I am planning the day before. Leaving Europe early and getting San Juan at 22:00 (via Philly) or 1:00 (via MIA). There are some "same day" early options in case things get bad. :-)

You are correct in that in March the weather in PHL could be atrocious while the weather in MIA will likely be gorgeous. Unfortunately the planes don't just fly back and forth between MIA and SJU. They usually start in another region--often the Northeast or Midwest where March is bad storm including tornado season--so while it can be beautiful and sunny in MIA, there is no guarantee that wherever the flight between the two is originating will be the same.

That said, the MIA route would be my choice for the less likely weather related delays. Enjoy your cruise!

You are correct in that in March the weather in PHL could be atrocious while the weather in MIA will likely be gorgeous. Unfortunately the planes don't just fly back and forth between MIA and SJU. They usually start in another region--often the Northeast or Midwest where March is bad storm including tornado season--so while it can be beautiful and sunny in MIA, there is no guarantee that wherever the flight between the two is originating will be the same.

That said, the MIA route would be my choice for the less likely weather related delays. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Ducklite. The direct AA MAD MIA seems the best option. What's AA like?. They have Iberia codeshare so any airline could do the route. So being Iberia a mediocre option I don't think AA will let me down. I am just holding for while to check if they lower the business option.

Edited by keltic

Thanks Ducklite. The direct AA MAD MIA seems the best option. What's AA like?. They have Iberia codeshare so any airline could do the route. So being Iberia a mediocre option I don't think AA will let me down. I am just holding for while to check if they lower the business option.

Well... I am probably not a good person to ask. I was a Chairman's Preferred with US prior to the merger. And then it all went south. I had 18 out of 21 flights significantly delayed, two forced overnights in six months, a crew related delay that caused me to miss a BA F flight to LHR, the list goes on. Hopefully they have gotten better.

You will know which metal you are flying on when you book. AA business seldom fluctuates much in price. If it is on a wide body it's very nice. If it's a 757 you might be better off booking three extra leg room seats in a single row (call so they can set it up for you).

The Air Europa (second biggest airline here) business is usually reasonable. The fly B787 to Miami and Santo Domingo. Unfortunately direct to San Juan only after April. They offer San Juan connecting in SDQ with weird airline called Sunborne. Have you heard of it.

I am not a nervous flier but I take good care of these unknown third level airlines which nobody seems to have heard about. They operate the SDQ SJU with a Saab 340. Nothing wrong with being a propeller. Just with the luggage restrictions in the cargo hold.

Edited by keltic

The Air Europa (second biggest airline here) business is usually reasonable. The fly B787 to Miami and Santo Domingo. Unfortunately direct to San Juan only after April. They offer San Juan connecting in SDQ with weird airline called Sunborne. Have you heard of it.

I am not a nervous flier but I take good care of these unknown third level airlines which nobody seems to have heard about. They operate the SDQ SJU with a Saab 340. Nothing wrong with being a propeller. Just with the luggage restrictions in the cargo hold.

Seaborne is one the "island hopper" airlines down in the Caribbean. They have agreements with a lot of airlines, Delta, JetBlue, AA and Air Europa included. Based in San Juan. I haven't flown them, but they were one of my choices for my inter-island flights this past Spring (ended up going where they didn't fly). Quite a few of the inter-island planes in the Caribbean are props. And, Seaborne's baggage requirements are pretty similar to most small plane operations. But, they aren't that bad.

Edited by slidergirl

Done. Iberia+plus American Airlines all the way. Baggage included. The fare is not particularly low neither high. About 590 rt. With seat selection as well.

Did anyone fly AA B737-800 from MIA to SJU?. I have conflictive reports about complementary catering. True?.

Done. Iberia+plus American Airlines all the way. Baggage included. The fare is not particularly low neither high. About 590 rt. With seat selection as well.

Did anyone fly AA B737-800 from MIA to SJU?. I have conflictive reports about complementary catering. True?.

It's a 90 minute flight. You don't need a meal. You will get a complimentary soft drink, water, coffee, etc.

I frequently fly into and out of the Philly airport because of business in the area. It is not unusual for my flights to be delayed due to weather.

It's my understanding that the Philly airport is considered part of the the NYC airports (LGA,EWR, and JFK) air traffic control due to its proximity. Therefore, problems in the NYC area cause problems for Philly.

Therefore, Miami would be choice too.

Coming late to the thread, but would also recommend Miami.

American is still integrating the US Airways fleet into its schedule, but for the most part are keeping planes and crews assigned to various US or AA hubs in place. In this case, since PHL was US's big hub and MIA was a key AA hub, that means flights to/from PHL have a high incidence of taking place on ex-US Airbuses, which have zero in-flight amenities - no movies, whatever, while ex-MIA flights will more likely use AA equipment with movies (admittedly, many on overhead monitors) and in-seat audio, and (to me) a higher level of amenity compared to the ex-US planes.

It's my understanding that the Philly airport is considered part of the the NYC airports (LGA,EWR, and JFK) air traffic control due to its proximity. Therefore, problems in the NYC area cause problems for Philly.

Therefore, Miami would be choice too.

It doesn't matter whether not the same ATC location oversees things at both PHL and NYC-area airports or not. They don't delay or cancel flights at PHL just because the weather is bad in NYC and vice versa. Since the two cities are close, they MAY have the same weather, but it doesn't always happen that way.

And once again, keep in mind that weather issues anywhere in the country can affect flights anywhere else in the country. You might be connecting in Miami, but if the plane you are boarding there is coming from Chicago, and Chicago is shut down due to a blizzard and your aircraft can't get out, you aren't going anywhere, even though it's sunny and 75 in Miami. Or it could be your crew working the flight who can't get in.