Upgrading beverage package onboard

luv2camp04

In the past, we have cruised out of San Juan and have upgraded to the Premium package right after we board. On our next cruise, we will be leaving from Miami. I seem to recall that sales tax would be added when docked in an American port. Is this correct? Would it make sense to wait until we sail? Just curious.

We asked and the sommelier (we were eating our first day lunch in Luminae) told us that she never posts them until we sail. I would double check, but I think that's pretty much what they all do so you don't have to pay additional.

We asked and the sommelier (we were eating our first day lunch in Luminae) told us that she never posts them until we sail. I would double check, but I think that's pretty much what they all do so you don't have to pay additional.

That's been my experience - all big ticket items such as ordering specialty dining packages, beverage packages, and the like -- they will write your info down and ring it up after you get out to sea.

I understand that when you upgrade, the person who upgrades you gets to keep the gratuity, so for a 7-day cruise, $1.80 X 7 = $12.60. That's why they are out hawking the first day or two of the cruise.

When you do upgrade, I would do it with the Sommelier in your dining area or the bar you frequent -- they'll remember you and give you greater service than the great service they already provide. :)

I was charged tax at Port Everglades, in Ft Lauderdale. We upgraded at Cafe Al Bacio and apparently they ran it right then.

Didn't you later get the taxes refunded? Too bad if you didn't.

We have never been charged a tax when we upgraded before departure in Florida, but has you reported it happened.

Personally I think the fact that you were charged was a mistake.

Another interesting question. Do Florida residents who purchase on line before leaving home have to pay the tax?

Didn't you later get the taxes refunded? Too bad if you didn't.

We have never been charged a tax when we upgraded before departure in Florida, but has you reported it happened.

Personally I think the fact that you were charged was a mistake.

Another interesting question. Do Florida residents who purchase on line before leaving home have to pay the tax?

I did, but I had to escalate it to the F & B manager. Guest Relations first told me there was nothing they could do.

In the past, we have cruised out of San Juan and have upgraded to the Premium package right after we board. On our next cruise, we will be leaving from Miami. I seem to recall that sales tax would be added when docked in an American port. Is this correct? Would it make sense to wait until we sail? Just curious.

San Juan is also an American port. Same rules:D

I understand that when you upgrade, the person who upgrades you gets to keep the gratuity, so for a 7-day cruise, $1.80 X 7 = $12.60. That's why they are out hawking the first day or two of the cruise.

When you do upgrade, I would do it with the Sommelier in your dining area or the bar you frequent -- they'll remember you and give you greater service than the great service they already provide. :)

We were on the Eclipse last spring for 30+ days on a cruise series. We upgraded on two of the legs from the classic package we had received as a booking perk to premium. Our favorite bartender told us the same information regarding the gratuity, so we intentionally purchased those upgrades from him.

• 2 weeks later...
My TA says I can only upgrade from the included classic to standard onboard. I'm pretty sure that's not true - can I contact Celebrity if my TA is being unhelpful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No they will only speak with your agent. But the TA is very mis-informed as the standard is below the classic.

FYI,

We wait till on ship to upgrade so we can make use of our OBC to cover the cost.

Edited by wallie5446

FYI,

We wait till on ship to upgrade so we can make use of our OBC to cover the cost.

Sorry, I meant premium!

Should I persist even though they've told me it can only be done onboard twice now?

Doing this before hand takes effort on the part of the TA to modify the booking. Sounds like they don't want to go to the trouble for you.;)

My TA says I can only upgrade from the included classic to standard onboard. I'm pretty sure that's not true - can I contact Celebrity if my TA is being unhelpful?

You can upgrade yourself online or you can call Celebrity. They'll be happy to take your money.

Didn't realise I could do it online, thanks!

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I did end up having to call Celebrity because when I tried upgrading online it only gave me the option of purchasing the premium package instead of just charging me the difference.

You can upgrade yourself online or you can call Celebrity. They'll be happy to take your money.

Every time I have tried to upgrade my classic package to premium it charges me full price. Are you sure you can do it online? Or am I missing something. I was figuring I would have to call or have my TA take care of it. I like theses things taken care of before we board.

Carol

That sounds familiar actually. So you think Celebrity will sort it for me rather than pushing me back to the TA?

Yes, they can upgrade you and book excursions, specialty restaurants, that sort of thing. You'd need to go through your TA if you wanted to make changes to your booking itself, such as changing cabin category.