Thinking of an Alaska Cruise...?

bgyoshi

Hello everyone. Starting to do my research but wanted some opinions/recommendations of the wonderful community here. Looking for an Alaska cruise for family - My husband and myself, our would be 2-3 year old (depending if we go in Sept 2017 or May 2018), the grandparents, and my brother and sister - in laws and their significant others.

Background: We have always cruised Royal Caribbean, but open to other cruise lines since it seems Alaska cruises are limited with RCCL. I read Alaska cruise season is May-September, and we would prefer to avoid June-Aug as I hate crowds and it's more expensive (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Which cruise line does everyone prefer and ports of calls that should be a "must" on our itinerary? We were also hoping to sail out of either Seattle or Vancouver, so we could do a couple days there before we sail. Oh and looking for a 7 day cruise. We would appreciate any tips/advice as I keep on researching! Thank you!

One key question you need to address is whether you want a closed loop or an open ended route. Most of the Seattle cruise are loops which makes air transport in the US less expensive. While there are some closed loop cruises out of Vancouver, the bulk are one way to Anchorage ( the port is in Seward) with of course rotating versions in the other direction. I have done both but the one way also sets you up to a visit Alaska either pre or post as a brief land tour. Other considerations are which glacier area you will visit. Some cruisers swear by glacier bay and its variety is impressive but others like the channel into Hubbard as well.

Which line is a function of personal choice although Princess and HAL have the longest experience in Alaska and more permits to glacier bay. Ports are less of an issue. There is some variability but most common are Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. A few cruise may offer Sitka, Haines, or icy straits as alternates.

As to crowds, ships will pretty much all sail full. The weather is always variable and I have sailed with lots of sun on a cruise or no sun at all. The operative word for clothing is Layers.

Hello everyone. Starting to do my research but wanted some opinions/recommendations of the wonderful community here. Looking for an Alaska cruise for family - My husband and myself, our would be 2-3 year old (depending if we go in Sept 2017 or May 2018), the grandparents, and my brother and sister - in laws and their significant others.

Background: We have always cruised Royal Caribbean, but open to other cruise lines since it seems Alaska cruises are limited with RCCL. I read Alaska cruise season is May-September, and we would prefer to avoid June-Aug as I hate crowds and it's more expensive (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Which cruise line does everyone prefer and ports of calls that should be a "must" on our itinerary? We were also hoping to sail out of either Seattle or Vancouver, so we could do a couple days there before we sail. Oh and looking for a 7 day cruise. We would appreciate any tips/advice as I keep on researching! Thank you!

We did X Solstice rt out of Seattle.

Perfect cruise, my son 15 yo had a blast.

DSC02296.jpg

IMG_4681%201.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

One key question you need to address is whether you want a closed loop or an open ended route.

I think we prefer closed loop, just to avoid a longer flight home with a toddler.

Oh another question is, is it possible to see Aurora Borealis from a cruise ship? Not a necessity, but we'd like to increase the possibility of seeing it :)

Thanks for all the questions and considerations! It helps to give me a starting point!

I think we prefer closed loop, just to avoid a longer flight home with a toddler.

Oh another question is, is it possible to see Aurora Borealis from a cruise ship? Not a necessity, but we'd like to increase the possibility of seeing it :)

Thanks for all the questions and considerations! It helps to give me a starting point!

As to the Northern Lights , not very likely to see them because of the hours of light. Th far north yoy go the daylight hours. As to ports the cruise lines visit the same port basic ports . Some miss Skagway and visit Sitka , Icy Point or Haines. The glaciers are basicall Tracy Arm , Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. Most cruises will visit one of these three.

As to the Northern Lights , not very likely to see them because of the hours of light. Th far north yoy go the daylight hours. As to ports the cruise lines visit the same port basic ports . Some miss Skagway and visit Sitka , Icy Point or Haines. The glaciers are basicall Tracy Arm , Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. Most cruises will visit one of these three.

Good to know, thanks!

Hi Bgyoshi

We were on a Carnival cruise this past spring that departed from Vancouver and returned to Seattle. This was an 8 day cruise...just a little different from the 7 day ones that leave and return from Vancouver or Seattle.

I don't think you really have to worry too much about having a great cruise. I don't think I have seen anyone who hasn't really enjoyed their Alaskan cruise.

The posts on the Alaska/Canada boards here are full of valuable information. You might look at those boards to narrow down places you feel you "must" visit. That might influence the itinerary you choose.

We went mid May and had great weather (warmer than we expected), but that would be hit or miss. Again the boards might give you some more insight since you may be able to see or do different things depending on the time of year.

have a great time planning and

enjoy your cruise

Unlikely you will see the northern lights although there were posts that some saw them in August this year. It won’t be dark enough in May although will be in September.

This shows short term forecasts: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Alaska/20160830

I had the pleasure of doing an Alaskan cruise with my husband last September on Celebrity cruiseline. It was amazing! It originated in Seattle and we spent a couple days there first seeing the sights (space needle, market, glass museum, etc). The cruise ended in Vancouver and we stayed there a couple days too. The weather in Alaska in September was cool (wore sweatshirt, jeans and Fall jacket). The scenery was stunning and I have never seen anything as beautiful as Tracy Arm Fjord. The whale watching tour in Juneau was out of this world, with many whales in every direction, even breeching. I went halibut fishing in Icy Strait Point and did the train ride in Skagway (I think it was Skagway). We also had beautiful stops in Victoria (Buchart Gardens is a must!) and Nanaimo, BC. This was my favourite cruise of all 15 that I have been on. Celebrity takes good care of you, even giving out chicken noodle soup in cups when returning from excursions. I also like that Celebrity had a lovely indoor pool, which was always warm, even when in Alaska.

I have sailed three times with a toddler in tow, my youngest grandson. We did NCL to Alaska and now twice on Carnival. I much prefer the Carnival experience and their treatment of my grandsons was extraordinary! My daughter took the three boys on a city bus up for a walk on Mendenhall Glacier and they hiked up to the waterfalls. She toted the youngest in a back pack and it poured for about half the time of their bus trip and walk. She remembers the rain and the forced march with the boys (aged 10, 5, and 16 months). They remember it as one of the most spectacular times of the whole trip. They talked nonstop about it for months!

Yes, it certainly is. We saw this on one of our Alaska cruises from somewhere in the Inside Passage. It was on a Princess ship, and they said to leave the Princess tv channel on when we went to bed. They announced over that channel that the aurora was visible. So, in the middle of the night we got out of bed and went up top. Not sure how your little one would like that.

I think this was in early September.

Edited by Sea Hag

u!

Couple of suggestions and they relate to potential problems when trying to organize a large group. Sounds as if you might be having 10 - 15 people in your group all of whom will have different ideas as to what they want to do on the trip and all of whom will be happy to 2nd guess you on whatever you as the organize are doing. Work with a travel agent instead of trying to do it yourself. Then when someone complains, you can tell them to call the travel agent.

Also, do not try to organize big group activities during the day. At night everyone can get together for dinner unless some of you want some private time with your spouse but during the day do not assume that everyone will want to do the same thing.

I may sound like I am a scrooge but doing trips with large family groups can be a total pain.

DON