Zika and Guillain-Barre Syndrome

Mar56

My husband and I have a Caribbean cruise booked for January 2017. We were not overly concerned about Zika as we are 60 years old, obviously not going to get pregnant.

However, I have been reading that there is a link showing up now between Zika and Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

So we are considering our options. We have until Nov 9th when final payment is due, to decide.

We know that the advisories all say to use repellent with DEET, which we always do anyways, and then to wear light coloured pants and shirts with hats when in a Zika infected area. However, the consequences of G-B Syndrome can be quite severe.

I know that cancellation is our decision to make, but I'm wondering what other cruisers are thinking, now that this link between Zika and Guillain-Barre is showing up in lab results etc.

Marion

Having had Gullain-Barre Syndrome, this interested me. The CDC does say there is a link between Zika and GB, but says the incidence rate is very low. I'm still going on my cruise and will take the necessary prudent precautions.

I agree with dfish. The incidence of GB syndrome is about 1:100,000 people. And this is from all causes, not just Zika. Your chances if developing it are very remote. Even less remote if you take precautions. We are in the same age group and have no qualms about our upcoming cruise, other than packing a full can of mosquito repellant.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I'll keep watching for new reports etc. I agree that current scientific studies are showing that the odds are low for contracting E-B. Just worried that we'd be that 1 in 100,000.

Marion

you can get G B at home you do not need to leave the Country

Take precautions for the Zika or what ever is in the area you will be visiting

I will not use a DEET product .I use an all natural one instead .On my last cruise I wore long pants and a hat but I wore tee shirts .

On my next Caribbean cruise I will wear shorts .

I will not use a DEET product .I use an all natural one instead .On my last cruise I wore long pants and a hat but I wore tee shirts .

On my next Caribbean cruise I will wear shorts .

Never said anything about Deet

We were on a cruise to Central America in April ..never saw a mozzie wore shorts & T-shirts ...it is a personal choice people have to make

YMMV