Salmon Lox

YAKE

See Smoked Salmon, Lox, Gravlax: Is There A Difference?

I don't know what kind it is that they serve on X ships.

It can look different at different times.

Sometimes it has some grey or black in it, and other times it doesn't.

Every now and then, they have some in a tray labeled gravlax, but their "gravlax" didn't look anything like the gravlax in the picture at the above website link.

I have salmon with a tad of cream cheese (the servers don't seem to understand the term "just a tad" and instead bring out a full dish of cream cheese. Such a waste!) and capers every morning while cruising. I skip the bagel.

Edited by Iamthesea

I have salmon with a tad of cream cheese (the servers don't seem to understand the term "just a tad" and instead bring out a full dish of cream cheese. Such a waste!) and capers every morning while cruising. I skip the bagel.

Maybe instead of "tad" you should ask for a "schmear." :)

Oh wait, you are skipping the bagel? That's a felony. :p

Maybe instead of "tad" you should ask for a "schmear." :)

Oh wait, you are skipping the bagel? That's a felony. :p

Haha! Funny you should mention schmear. DH and I are looking at an older home and talking of covering the plain red brick with a German schmear...or just paint the brick. I had not heard of the word schmear until watching HGTV.

I skip the bagel because I prefer to eat the salmon without. Then I can take one of the Danish off the tray that comes around. :D

I had not heard of the word schmear until watching HGTV.

The use and spelling schmear or shmear in American English is a direct loanword from Yiddish where its original usage referred to cheese. In modern usage it has extended to anything that can be spread.

Celebrity doesn't serve bagels....they serve rolls with a hole in the middle. Other than a similar look, there is no similarity.

And sadly that's true on land in the U.S. as well, once you get out of NYC (with some exceptions of course).

If you are a connoisseur of smoked salmon,then you will find the product served on the cruise to be rather ordinary.Not to mention (as another poster did),the bagels are not like a good quality bagel.

Edited by casper106