What's the pronunciation of Sirena?

Petoonya

Greetings

When we were on board the CD kept using a Italian/Spanish type pronunciation. It sounded a little forced and unnatural. It was sort of

Seer a nah

Good Sailing

Tom

At first that's what people thought it was. They were wrong.

Just like the pronunciation of Oceania, Mr. FDR can say it however he chooses, and that's what it is. He says it just like Serena the tennis player.

Of course that doesn't stop a lot of people from saying them wrong. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone put the "i" in Oceania.

Just like the pronunciation of Oceania, Mr. FDR can say [serena] however he chooses, and that's what it is. He says it just like Serena the tennis player. Of course that doesn't stop a lot of people from saying them wrong. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone put the "i" in Oceania.

The story I heard is that when it came time to name the cruise line, the name "Oceana" was already taken. So Mr. FDR went with "Oceania" but decided to pronounce it, contrary to the rules of English, as if it were spelled "Oceana." As Orv says, he can pronounce it any way he chooses, but judging from the number of times people put in that "i," I think he's having a hard time making it stick. :D

:)

The story I heard is that when it came time to name the cruise line, the name "Oceana" was already taken. So Mr. FDR went with "Oceania" but decided to pronounce it, contrary to the rules of English, as if it were spelled "Oceana." As Orv says, he can pronounce it any way he chooses, but judging from the number of times people put in that "i," I think he's having a hard time making it stick. :D

That's the story I heard, too, and I'm sticken' to it. That's the pronumciation I use and I'm sticken't to that, too. I think Oceana is/was a P&O ship.

That's the story I heard, too, and I'm sticken' to it. That's the pronumciation I use and I'm sticken't to that, too. I think Oceana is/was a P&O ship.

I was on a cruise a year or so ago leaving Venice where the Riviera and P & O's Oceana both were disembarking. I'm pretty sure some people got taken to the wrong ship.

As I see it, being of Cuban heritage, Mr. Del Rio may legitimately point to those words which WE deliberately choose to mispronounce....

When is the last time that you heard the "R" in February? :p

As I see it, being of Cuban heritage, Mr. Del Rio may legitimately point to those words which WE deliberately choose to mispronounce....

Re: Oceania, I don't consider it mispronunciation. I consider it poetic license. FDR knew what he wanted to call his cruise line. The P&O thing was a minor inconvenience and he solved it the smallest way he could . . . with the letter I. Rather brilliant.

I just left Sirena on Aug 29.

Not once was the ship pronounced like FDR mentioned (Serena as in Serena Williams)

It was either pronounced "Sir-rey-na" or most often it was oddly pronounced "Sir-wren-ah".

No matter how you say it, Sirena is alive and well and it was an excellent cruise. It was everything I have come to expect and love from Oceania.

I think it was because the ship left from Spain, but there was an extra VAT tax on all purchases throughout the entire 10 days, no matter the country. 10% for drinks and 21% for the boutiques and spa. Ouch. This was the first occurrence for this on an O European cruise.

But for those nervous about Sirena, there is no need. I'd go back again tomorrow if I could.

Just listening to the christening -- (too much time on my hands today) :)

Is it the same ship?? (4 speakers -- 3 pronunciations)

Jason M -O President - pronounced Sirenah (i like sit)

FDR - CEO - Serena (just like Williams)

Captain Ressa -- Serena (seerenah) (long e)

The Priest -- Sirena (the i like I)

Claudine Pepin -- pronounced like Jason M

I think it was because the ship left from Spain, but there was an extra VAT tax on all purchases throughout the entire 10 days, no matter the country. 10% for drinks and 21% for the boutiques and spa. Ouch. This was the first occurrence for this on an O European cruise.

This has been discussed before

it is imposed by the Spanish Government while in their waters

also Italy & Brazil have a similar scheme to fleece the cruise passengers :mad:

That would be the last time *I* said it ... I'm not alone, but I'm sure in the minority! It really bugs me when radio and TV personalities say "febuary" ...

Mura

• 2 weeks later...