Sailing on Pride out of Baltimore this Sunday

Livelsberger

Unfortunately bad timing with the storm looking like it will hit the Baltimore area around mid-day Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised to see sail away pushed back hours or a day to let the storm pass and then head out once it is safe.

On the bright side at least the storm is coming through the Northeast the day you are leaving so it will only impact the first day. If the storm was still making it's way through the Caribbean and then up the coast it would really ruin the trip.

no, you should be fine. it should move past MD by 2am Sunday morning. so the weather and rain will be heavy Saturday all day through the night and gone by 2-3 am Sunday morning. and then it will be clear. Sunday you will be on the Chesapeake bay all night before hitting the Atlantic around midnight or 1 am. the atlantic might be a little rough from residual from the hurricane but you will be going south away from it to Bermuda. maybe bring some Dramamine just in case.

I'm extremely concerned about sailing out of Baltimore Sunday to Bermuda because of Hurricane Hermine. Anyone have any suggestions or words of comfort?

your cruise will be fine. The Pride could be a little late getting into Baltimore on Sunday morning because they will probably need to slow down due to rough seas off Carolina and Norfolk. Your sailing my be a little bumpy once you get out into the ocean, but it shouldn't be bad. The winds from Hermine will be greatly reduced by the time the storm gets this far north so stop stressing and have a great cruise. :)

I'm extremely concerned about sailing out of Baltimore Sunday to Bermuda because of Hurricane Hermine. Anyone have any suggestions or words of comfort?

My husband and I will be on the Bermuda sailing this Sunday too... we saw last night on a different thread that they are skipping Freeport today and gonna try to beat the storm back to Baltimore. I'll be keeping an eye on her progress here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-76/centery:28/zoom:7

With luck, the ship will be back on time, and we'll just need to deal with a rainy day boarding, and perhaps a bumpier ride than normal leaving the Bay. We'll just have to wait and see! If you didn't already, go back into your Online Check In, and in the Guest Info where you have your phone number, you can add a mobile and check a box to get Cruse Alerts texted to you.

Hopefully it all times out well!

My husband and I will be on the Bermuda sailing this Sunday too... we saw last night on a different thread that they are skipping Freeport today and gonna try to beat the storm back to Baltimore. I'll be keeping an eye on her progress here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-76/centery:28/zoom:7

With luck, the ship will be back on time, and we'll just need to deal with a rainy day boarding, and perhaps a bumpier ride than normal leaving the Bay. We'll just have to wait and see! If you didn't already, go back into your Online Check In, and in the Guest Info where you have your phone number, you can add a mobile and check a box to get Cruse Alerts texted to you.

Hopefully it all times out well!

the cruise coming home sunday is definitely the cruise that will be rough. on the normal cruise's out of baltimore it takes 2 days to get to your first port. but they put the pedal to the metal coming home and make it back in 1 day. i have been on the pride 5 times and few of those cruises that last day is rough the combination of high speed and rough atlantic makes for a rocky ride. but if they already made the decision to skip the last port to get back in 2 days it should make a big difference.

the cruise coming home sunday is definitely the cruise that will be rough. on the normal cruise's out of baltimore it takes 2 days to get to your first port. but they put the pedal to the metal coming home and make it back in 1 day. i have been on the pride 5 times and few of those cruises that last day is rough the combination of high speed and rough atlantic makes for a rocky ride. but if they already made the decision to skip the last port to get back in 2 days it should make a big difference.

You are right! The folks on board now will be rocking and rolling when they get into the Atlantic for sure, we also have done the Pride quite a few times and they book it back at high speed under normal conditions. Add in the storm winds and :eek: Hopefully everything goes well for them, and our boarding!

You are right! The folks on board now will be rocking and rolling when they get into the Atlantic for sure, we also have done the Pride quite a few times and they book it back at high speed under normal conditions. Add in the storm winds and :eek: Hopefully everything goes well for them, and our boarding!

I hope you have a great trip!! We finally sailed on the Pride in July. We had a great time!!

we been push around more times than I count by hurricanes. My advice be flexible with what you want to do. We had a southern that became very western and because of that we got to "Chicken pizza ruins" instead of snorkeling and extra sea days in circles staying safe instead of ports. One of the funniest cruises. We were in the southern pacific and trade winds came in had to stay in cabins for most of the day-- all open decks closed--but watch some great movies and had a great time rockin and rollin.

we been push around more times than I count by hurricanes. My advice be flexible with what you want to do. We had a southern that became very western and because of that we got to "Chicken pizza ruins" instead of snorkeling and extra sea days in circles staying safe instead of ports. One of the funniest cruises. We were in the southern pacific and trade winds came in had to stay in cabins for most of the day-- all open decks closed--but watch some great movies and had a great time rockin and rollin.

Hi, Beauty! It's good to "see you" again! I see you've moved from the frozen tundra.:p I hope you're loving it in NC! Great attitude about your altered itineraries!:D

Livelsberger, I empathize with you. We have a cruise coming up in a few weeks on the Pride and I'm already stressing about potential hurricanes that don't even exist yet (and may never exist):eek: - it's so important to me that we don't miss our ports on this particular cruise, especially HMC.:(:o My best words of comfort for you are those that I keep mentally saying to myself:

Whatever will be will be. Roll with it. It's just a vacation.

...And it's right about then that my internal mantra kinda morphs into the Bob Marley song, "Three Little Birds".:p

Seriously, though, I hear ya. I get it. But don't worry.

Edited by ShakyBeef

Hey Shaky Beef how R Ya? We are lovin NC nothing could be finer than Carolina in the morning ...............or evening!!!!!!!!!! It was the best move ever! I'm not missing snow at all! I didnot even have to wear my tundra coat all winter!

We cruise every fall and lots of bad storms but it a vacation and we roll with the waves.

I guess you don't have to worry. The timing of Hermine according to reports may already be past your boarding time. Enjoy your cruise!

Just a note to all of you thinking that there will just be a day of rain and then clear weather. Plan on the possibility of lots of rain at times.

I am on the west coast of Florida and we are still experiencing heavy bands of rain because of Hermine. The counter clockwise rotation of the storm pulls up moisture from the Caribbean (in our case, the Gulf) and feeds it into the system. The eastern edge of the storm has the bands feeding in from a south west direction. So as the storm passes north, the rain bands will be still be feeding in.

If you are sailing south and east, you possibly will be going directly into these bands of thunderstorms.

Here in the Tampa area, we will not be free of these bands until sometime on Sunday (for a hurricane that made landfall north of us in the Big Bend section of the state Thursday morning). All our rain since Wednesday has strictly been from the feeder bands of moisture.

Looks like the Pride is sailing in about 4-5 ft waves in the Chesapeake Bay and 27 knot winds from about 331 degrees (sailing into the wind). I am no meteorologist but to looks like the center of Hermine will be well off to the east of the mouth of the Bay. Should not be too bad sailing out. If you are curious where she is now here is a link https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/CARNIVAL-PRIDE-IMO-9223954-MMSI-354215000 In case you are wondering to convert UDT to EST subtract 4 hours.

Have fun, can't wait to sail on her in October.

Edited by VALBS

I have a friend on the Carnival Pride right now - they are set to dock earlier tomorrow/late tonight than scheduled. This morning they encountered bad weather and he said that there was flood water all the way to the 3rd floor. He said people had their life jackets on and thought the boat was going down because of the weather and the water. He didn't have much internet to be able to pass much more on, but I can't seem to find any information by doing web searches yet?

I have a friend on the Carnival Pride right now - they are set to dock earlier tomorrow/late tonight than scheduled. This morning they encountered bad weather and he said that there was flood water all the way to the 3rd floor. He said people had their life jackets on and thought the boat was going down because of the weather and the water. He didn't have much internet to be able to pass much more on, but I can't seem to find any information by doing web searches yet?

So are they saying the first 2 decks were under water? Reports that the CD saying it was raining water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If water did come in from the weather decks (outside) then went down to the lower decks via whatever means then that has happened before on other ships. Not much watertight integrity on anything above the waterline on cruise ships. Now if there was, for whatever reason, a actual flooding situation below Passenger Deck 1 that would be another situation entirely. I have been looking at the reported sea states during the time the Pride was sailing north and only saw 20ish foot swells reported in her route. I cannot imagine the Pride cannot take 20 ft swells without flooding, I guess if balcony doors were left open and not secured that could be a way or she was not bow first into the swell and caught some broadside. The could be a way and would make for an interesting ride. In any case Wow.

Edited by VALBS

If water did come in from the weather decks (outside) then went down to the lower decks via whatever means then that has happened before on other ships. Not much watertight integrity on anything above the waterline on cruise ships. Now if there was, for whatever reason, a actual flooding situation below Passenger Deck 1 that would be another situation entirely. I have been looking at the reported sea states during the time the Pride was sailing north and only saw 20ish foot swells reported in her route. I cannot imagine the Pride cannot take 20 ft swells without flooding, I guess if balcony doors were left open and not secured that could be a way or she was not bow first into the swell and caught some broadside. The could be a way and would make for an interesting ride. In any case Wow.

The Pride can did take 20 ft swells, but that said I would not like to "enjoy them". There is no way that the first two decks are "under water". Will wait for something official on what did or did not occur.

Sent from my iPhone