20% off Celebrity Shore Excursions in Europe

kevinyork

Just logged into my cruise personaliser and a banner popped up advertising 20% off cruise excursions in Europe. Sure enough the prices had been lowered by 20%.

Our next cruise is in 2 weeks time. I presume anyone who has already booked could cancel and re-book.

f9d3d36c4d5e99458193685f381b8890.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wondering if Celebrity have priced themselves out?

We are on an Azamara cruise in 5 days time. I had a call from Miami about 2 weeks ago reminding me I was going on a cruise and hadn't yet booked any excursions. My reply:

"I won't be either, they are too expensive."

Eg 3 hr tour, 'Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society' £76.25.

I understand that excursions are being cancelled if there aren't sufficient participants, BEFORE THE CRUISE.

Edited by upwarduk

Just logged into my cruise personaliser and a banner popped up advertising 20% off cruise excursions in Europe. Sure enough the prices had been lowered by 20%.

Our next cruise is in 2 weeks time. I presume anyone who has already booked could cancel and re-book.

Thanks for the heads up! Just checked. The excursion we booked isn't among them. Not all excursions are on sale. But I certainly will browse the other ports now. :-)

Edited by Fawkes66
accuracy

Wondering if Celebrity have priced themselves out?

We are on an Azamara cruise in 5 days time. I had a call from Miami about 2 weeks ago reminding me I was going on a cruise and hadn't yet booked any excursions. My reply:

"I won't be either, they are too expensive."

Eg 3 hr tour, 'Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society' £76.25.

I understand that excursions are being cancelled if there aren't sufficient participants, BEFORE THE CRUISE.

We rarely use cruise ship excursions however I had my eye on one for our upcoming trip that was hard to do on your own. Now it's discounted it makes the price more reasonable so I've booked it.

It is hard to tell which excursions have the discount applied as they just show one price but I was able to recall how much that excursion was last week so knew the price had been discounted.

I would add that a few years ago there seemed to be many more full day tours and now they are mainly just a few hours.

AT 20% off that means they are only priced about double their worth. Nearly all the cruise lines have overpriced excursions to a point where they are generally (not always) a terrible value. Savvy travelers have learned to either use private tours or simply do things on their own. Many are not even aware that most cruise lines do not even operate their own excursion desks/programs. These are contracted out to third party vendors who provide the excursion staff onboard, the lecturers, etc. These shore excursion companies then contract with other land-based providers. So by the time you book an excursion tour provider has made a nice profit, the excursion desk contractor has made a nice profit, and the cruise line has also made a very nice profit. You, the user, are simply paying profits for at least 3 different companies. And all this for an excursion that usually has 50+ souls crammed onto a large tour bus....that cannot even take you to places like Positano, Italy (no tour buses allowed in the city).

Hank

MOST means none of the ones we have booked for our upcoming cruise[emoji849]

Were you able to check pre promotion prices with current promotion prices? I only ask as once you've gone past the pop up advising of the 20% saving there is no mention of a discount. Just a price is shown which I knew had been discounted as I've been looking at that trip.

I checked for our Eclipse trip June 17 and saw discount there too.

Reminds me of my WC segments last year on Oceania Insignia. Bunch of passengers decided pricing was exhorbant, spread the word and very few booked. I noticed at most ports only one tour bus out there.

Edited by zoncom

Thanks.

I just cancelled and re-booked at the new rate. Maybe I'll spend the refund on a specialty restaurant.:)

Here's my experience at trying to book a shore ex. at the new 20% off price. I had priced it about 3 wks ago and made notes. When I checked it out today on the X website, altho' it was marked as being 20% off, the price was the same as 3 wks ago. Spoke to an X rep who had to go to resolutions, which took forever. Finally she confessed the website was not indicating the 20% off price for many of the shore ex's correctly. Mine is 20% off, apparently (she checked the list), but IT needs to go through all the shore ex's to which the reduction applies and make sure the correct price is given. She advised I go to the website in 5 days or so to see if the issues are resolved. So, folks, don't be in a hurry to book, unless you can verify that you are getting a true 20% reduction.

The issue is still not resolved. I just called Celebrity. They are now saying that the 20% off was only on certain excursions on 2016 cruises. The excursion I purchased on the cruise planner for my 2017 cruise specifically shows the 20 % off offer. Hopefully Celebrity will resolve.

The issue has not been resolved to my satisfaction. The Captain's Club agent insists that the 20% off offer is only for certain 2016 excursions, even though the excursion offer in my cruise planner for my 2017 cruise stated 20% off. Very misleading advertising! I guess I'll be looking for a private excursion.