Dress code on 5 Week Sailing

ctemkg

On past 7 day sailings in Alaska, the Regent dress code was relaxed a bit. There was still a formal night, yet the other nights, clean jeans and polo shirts were allowed and common in the dining rooms and around the ships during the evening.

On a 5 week sailing (2 segments) to South America/Panama Canal, will the dress code be similar - clean jeans and polo in evening for dinner, or should I plan on going out and buying slacks and shirts to be used just for the evenings?

Thanks.

On past 7 day sailings in Alaska, the Regent dress code was relaxed a bit. There was still a formal night, yet the other nights, clean jeans and polo shirts were allowed and common in the dining rooms and around the ships during the evening.

On a 5 week sailing (2 segments) to South America/Panama Canal, will the dress code be similar - clean jeans and polo in evening for dinner, or should I plan on going out and buying slacks and shirts to be used just for the evenings?

Thanks.

According to the Regent dress code, jeans are not permitted after 6:00 p.m. - no matter how long the sailing is (except for the last night). On sailings over 15 nights (per segment), there will be a "Formal Optional" night (possibly more than one - depending upon the length of the segment). While you do not have to dress formally, some men will while others will wear suits or slacks and a sports jacket. There will be some men that decide just to follow the regular dress code that is always a minimum, of slacks for men and collared shirts.

I am somewhat surprised that jeans were permitted on an Alaska cruise but I always say that Alaska sailings are not like typical Regent sailings. Regent feels so strongly about not wearing jeans that it is mentioned daily in Passages.

I am somewhat surprised that jeans were permitted on an Alaska cruise but I always say that Alaska sailings are not like typical Regent sailings. Regent feels so strongly about not wearing jeans that it is mentioned daily in Passages.

On each of the Regent Alaska sailings, the dress code was relaxed. Not like Princess, yet not the full Regent code. It may have been to accommodate the many young families on board or the more relaxed nature of the sailing.

I too am surprised that the Alaska voyages had a relaxed dress code. I believe that the normal dress code for Regent is the most relaxed of the luxury lines. It is also pretty clear - no jeans after 6 PM. Earlier than that - fine. Polo shirts, since they have a collar, are OK anytime but I think most would find them a bit under dressed at dinner in the evening. Of course, there are exceptions to the dress code - a tour returning later in the evening often results in a open La Varanda dinner where you are welcome right after the tour no matter how you are dressed. But, these are the exceptions. Also, perhaps, on the last evening since most are already packed but I've read conflicting reports on this.

When we sailed South America, it was the normal dress code.

Having been to Alaska recently on regent, I can say that if you wore jeans and polo shirts to dinner, you were dreadfully under dressed. And I am surprised that you were not turned away from the dining venues, since jeans are clearly not in the dress code.

And there are no formal nights on any of the Alaska sailings. So I am confused. Are you mistaking regent with some other cruise line?

Even my youngest son, who is our ranch manager and basically lives in jeans and t shirts,, manages to wear nice slacks and shirts to dinner on Regent.

The Alaska sailings I was on were a number of years ago. While I and the majority if other males wore slacks at dinner, I do recall discussing with my table companions the seemly large numbers of men in jeans (clean, good condition) and Polo shirts. It did not bother any of us, just remember discussing it.

Since it has been 6 years since my last Regent sailing, I just wanted to check how the dress code currently stands so I can prepare for my next 5 week sailing with Regent. With all the good comments and input here already, I have a good idea of what to expect.

Can't answer for a 5week cruise, but here are my reflections after a 22day B2B on Navigator this summer in the Mediterranean. We got into Regent's cruises as it was not tuxedos at sea, and this still remains the case. We are a couple of professional people in our 50's, we always dress smart casual, my wife usually a dress, or smart skirt/ top for dinner, I always a smart short sleeved proper shirt, smart trousers. We are not jeans people and would never wear shorts/ threequarter trousers to dinner. I will put a jacket on some nights if following an event SS party ,captains welcome etc or in prime 7 . However the weather was hot and few outside Prime7 did wear jackets. The tie was almost extinct in all venues just 1 or2 in prime.

In fact in packing at the end I said it was the last time I will bring along, this has totally changed in 6 years since we first sailed Regent when most guys wore them and many men had no jackets with them, on this trip I had 2 , but always do to travel as a jacket for wallet, passport, tickets etc is my 'handbag' for flying . Plus one other.

My wife had a couple of long dresses and only wore twice each, for a few hours. Sette Mari/la veranda anything else than smart casual is totally over the top and inappropriate.

Regent mirrors life and in a few years has become much less formal.

We just returned last night from Alaska cruise. I do like to dress up at night, and wore cocktail dresses and also had a long dress with me and wore that to prime 7. I felt very comfortable and certainly not out of place. There was a mix of relaxed and smart causal dress code. Jean.

We just returned last night from Alaska cruise. I do like to dress up at night, and wore cocktail dresses and also had a long dress with me and wore that to prime 7. I felt very comfortable and certainly not out of place. There was a mix of relaxed and smart causal dress code. Jean.

What were they wearing to dinner in the evenings? Do you mean they weren't dressed elegant casual?

What were they wearing to dinner in the evenings? Do you mean they weren't dressed elegant casual?

There was a mix of elegant and relaxed casual I would say. I think it depends on which restruant you were in too. Didn't see any denims at night. I only wore dress trousers one night and rest were cocktail style dresses and the one long dress. Jean.

There was a mix of elegant and relaxed casual I would say. I think it depends on which restruant you were in too. Didn't see any denims at night. I only wore dress trousers one night and rest were cocktail style dresses and the one long dress. Jean.

Thanks!

We were on Mariner in Alaska just this past August. No one was wearing jeans at dinner. Some who had returned late from port on one late evening sail away, were turned away at the bar as they were not properly attired.

I would say though, that the dress was far from formal. Most men wore khakis and polo shirts (which to me, is golf course attire, but to others means dressy). Very few wore sport coats. Women mainly wore slacks with a handful wearing dresses.

I actually prefer a more relaxed dress code, but we brought very nice clothes based on the posts I had seen on this forum. We only wore the more formal clothes twice and ended up wearing more relaxed clothes as that seemed to be what the majority were wearing and it was just more comfortable. Other jeans, I would say wear what you would wear to a nice-ish restaurant (it does not need to be Le Bernadin level!) and you will be fine.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're on our cruise, although we're only on the one segment, to Lima.

No formal nights any more on Regent. Country Club Casual all the way, and how much you dress that up is up to you. But no jeans in the dining rooms at night, for sure.

My husband, who wears jeans all day, every day, will be pulling out his docker-like slacks that I bought him especially for cruising, lol. Even though his brand-new jeans look much better on him.

What about jeans that aren't denim? Or at least don't look like denim--sand coloured, or black? Brand new pairs? :D

BTW, to the OP, there is a roll-call for the first segment here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369540

Couldn't find one for the second segment, but there may be one, or one for the entire trip.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

My husband, who wears jeans all day, every day, will be pulling out his docker-like slacks that I bought him especially for cruising, lol. Even though his brand-new jeans look much better on him.

Wendy, your husband and I think a like. I am the same way, jeans all day and only changing into nicer looking pants in the evening since it is required. Dockers and similar do not look good on me as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Hi Jean, sounds like you had a fabulous cruise.

This is what i like about Regent, you can dress to the nines or just wear some smart trousers and a top and still feel comfortable.

I have gotten away with coloured cropped jeans with some strappy sandals in every single (3) Regent cruises in the last year or so and i also wear boots and tights with a dress. Scruffy is scruffy but if it looks the part and if it complies with the rules then why not! :)

Pam.