New Ship 2020

MattyBarlow

Certainly not for us! We tried Azura in the maiden season and felt it was just too big. As for Britannia, we have read enough in the many and varied reviews not to bother trying her. Smaller cabins and worst still balconies than we feel acceptable.

We don't live in a block of flats, nor do we want to stay in a block of flats on holiday.

The big ships mean less personal space for cabins and balconies and crowded public areas. Sounds like hell to us.

Pile it high, sell it cheap springs to mind.

Val

Britannia's cabins are not that small, bigger than Aurora, Oriana and Oceana.

Oriana is like a block of flats for that matter only 5 stories high.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What do we reckon, will this new ship replace any of the current ones?

Or will they keep the fleet at eight?

Some friends of mine have just got off Aurora and the crew were telling them that she will be leaving the fleet in 2 years which is a shame. I think P&o run the risk of losing their year round bread and butter.

God knows how they'll cope with boarding!!! They need to take a serious look at how Royal caribbean do it... a lot could be learned...

Pleased to see that half of the people who have replied to this thread about the new ship wont be sailing on it - great !! means I wont have to spend my holidays with them !!

Exciting news !! I cant wait to see what it will be like - I will be booking to go onboard !!

Guess it's understandable that folk relatively new to cruising will think this is the bees knees and, if your an insider (not suggesting you are cruisefan) even more so, what use is a balcony! These new ships are in effect 'pile them high and sell them cheap' they are the new Butlins and that is why they are full. All good luck to carnival but not for a good number of us who know better. Having spent the equivalent of almost 5 years during the last 25, cruising with P&O one gets bit discerning and enlightened about what makes a cruise ship and what doesn't and these cattle carriers, don't do anything for us. Hey, but each to our own and sorry our paths won't cross !!!!!

Bal

What do we reckon, will this new ship replace any of the current ones?

Or will they keep the fleet at eight?

I have always thought Oriana would last until 2021. So.....

However no one is building small to mid sized ships and developing one would be very expensive therefore she may last longer.

Some friends of mine have just got off Aurora and the crew were telling them that she will be leaving the fleet in 2 years which is a shame. I think P&o run the risk of losing their year round bread and butter.

God knows how they'll cope with boarding!!! They need to take a serious look at how Royal caribbean do it... a lot could be learned...

Do not believe any rumour the crew put about. If we had then Oriana and Oceana would have gone 2/3 years ago.

Not going to happen.

I have always thought Oriana would last until 2021. So.....

....they retire the old girl and call the new one Oriana?

:p

However no one is building small to mid sized ships and developing one would be very expensive therefore she may last longer.

That makes sense. If she's still pulling the punters, then it makes sense to keep her as long as they can.

Do not believe any rumour the crew put about. If we had then Oriana and Oceana would have gone 2/3 years ago.

Not going to happen.

Haha I guess crew rumours are right up there with "The Walt Disney World Bus Driver told me he's got insider knowledge on..." :rolleyes::D

Britannia's cabins are not that small, bigger than Aurora, Oriana and Oceana.

Oriana is like a block of flats for that matter only 5 stories high.

Like you, we always have a suite. Are you saying that the suites on Britannia are the same size as on Aurora? The balconies certainly certainly are not. Our friends had a suite on Britannia and the balcony was just 4' deep. They were very disappointed with the size of the suite itself too.

Val

Like you, we always have a suite. Are you saying that the suites on Britannia are the same size as on Aurora? The balconies certainly certainly are not. Our friends had a suite on Britannia and the balcony was just 4' deep. They were very disappointed with the size of the suite itself too.

Val

No I am talking about the standard cabins, the ones most people have. Oceana's cabins are small and the balconies are small as well.

On the other hand the suites at the back of Oceana are massive.

Not going to happen.

Only time will tell. I may have to remind you of this in a year or two :)

Mike I have seen it all before. Oriana has been leaving the fleet for years.

Let's hope that P&O will be like Saga, who asked regular passengers for input before designing their new build... a proper promenade being one accepted item.

Our issue is Miami planning ships for the Caribbean, and then sailing them out of Southampton.

We'll never again sail on Azura nor Independence OTS, because of this. Both cruises were perishing cold, and yet the day time entertainment depended on people using outdoor pools, and worse- an outdoor sea screen. Inclement weather meant that the inside of the ships were crammed with people mooching about. The best Azura could offer the 6 brave people watching a new release film was extra blankets... my feet have never recovered from the icy water on deck. :(

We were excited when Britannia was announced- we were on Ventura at the time when the captain announced this-we expected that Carnival would have realised the problems with Caribbean builds and would have produced an elegant indoor pool, and a cinema (think of the loveliness on Aurora)- but no, back to open air pools and sea screens.

If this is going to be Britannia but bigger, then we'll stick to Ventura or smaller models fitted to Northern Europe.

P&O have posted a picture on Facebook and a block of flats certainly comes to mind! If they have more restaurants, pools etc the size shouldn't be a problem. But if they're sticking with only a few of each they have a problem! I've found that my ideal ship size is Ventura/Azura size. We've not had a massive range of sizes but that area seems the most comfortable to us

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Plenty of old names for them to go for. The most likely of their former ships would be:

Artemis, Canberra, Strathmore, Strathnaver.

However only one of those ends with 'a' - which is the current trend for the fleet. And the latter two will probably be deemed "unpronouncable" by those marketing folks. So I'm guessing they'll go for something new.

Edited by Monorail Orange

Oh dear. Now we tend to like ships of all sizes - see our cruise history - but for us this one seems to have gone too far. What was lovely about Oceana in August, faults and all, was the friendly atmosphere. Even the crew said they loved being on her and many preferred the mid size ships to the bigger ones.

I suppose we are disappointed that P&O are going this big!

Still disappointed and perhaps think we should book cruises on our mid shize ships before it is too late :(

Regarding the embarkation process ............. I guess we should now be happy about a 3.30pm boarding time. :eek:

Oh dear. Now we tend to like ships of all sizes - see our cruise history - but for us this one seems to have gone too far. What was lovely about Oceana in August, faults and all, was the friendly atmosphere. Even the crew said they loved being on her and many preferred the mid size ships to the bigger ones.

I suppose we are disappointed that P&O are going this big!

Still disappointed and perhaps think we should book cruises on our mid shize ships before it is too late :(

Regarding the embarkation process ............. I guess we should now be happy about a 3.30pm boarding time. :eek:

Exactly what I'm thinking! I keep thinking I will get get round to Aurora one day - I had a short cruise on her cancelled when she went in for her re-fit. The one we like for next year is on Oriana - Now I'm re-looking at Aurora again in case she goes :(

Sharing the costa design would make sense. I wondered how they'd make a one off stack up finically.

The lack of pools and quiet outdoor space (and balconies you can relax on) put me off the Britannia. But if they can build a mega ship, but design it with some nice public spaces that don't feel like overcrowded sun bed racks, I'd give it a go.

And I bet they end up naming it Canberra!

Edited by h3rjp

Exactly what I'm thinking! I keep thinking I will get get round to Aurora one day - I had a short cruise on her cancelled when she went in for her re-fit. The one we like for next year is on Oriana - Now I'm re-looking at Aurora again in case she goes :(

Since Aurora had a refit only a year or so ago, which can't have been cheap, it seems unlikely that P&O would dispose of her in two years time.

Sharing the costa design would make sense. I wondered how they'd make a one off stack up finically.

The lack of pools and quiet outdoor space (and balconies you can relax on) put me off the Britannia. But if they can build a mega ship, but design it with some nice public spaces that don't feel like overcrowded sun bed racks, I'd give it a go.

And I bet they end up naming it Canberra!

No ships will now be built as a one off, far too expensive. Which is why I cannot see any small to medium ships for P&O in the near future. The company could not afford it.

For me - Its all about the itinerary - If a ship is going where I want to go when I can go at a price that I find I can afford then I will go.

I dont get the same feeling about the smaller ships as I do with the larger ships. The "smallest" ship I`ve been on is Arcadia... I did have an Aurora cruise booked but that was cancelled by P&O and will be going on Oriana (Itinerary appeals)

If this new ship is going where I want then I will book but otherwise I`m quite happy on Azura & Britannia - Didnt like Ventura as much / Cant work out why...