NCL cruise, surprised at the upsells at the spa

NutsAboutGolf

My parents got us the ultimate romance package as a gift for POA cruise...It includes many items including a 25mins couples massage and two specialty dining meals that include a bottle of wine for each and one for your room. It should be a very enjoyable experience, right? It was upsells at every corner.

Booking the massage appt:"it's ONLY 25mins of a massage", offered to us an UPGRADE to have a longer massage for a fee of course, we declined...UPSELL attempt #2, for ONLY another $10/person (before tax I'm sure) we could UPGRADE to using the spa facilities for the full day, we declined. This wasn't an upsell but they reminded us that the massage gratuities are NOT included in the package. We arrive for our appt, UPSELL #3/#4, same longer massage re-pitch and facilities re-pitched, we pass...Get the massage, when over my masseuse tells me my shoulders are messed up and that I'm in luck because if I book a couple more appts during this cruise he can fix them! Same with my new wife, tells her back is "a little tight", but more appts can fix them! That was UPSELL #5/#6...Upon cashing out at the front desk #7 was "offering" to book future massages, #8 was "reminding" us that the $10/person facility offer is still valid and #9 they have (overpriced) products available for us to purchase.

Why would you be surprised at aggressive sales pitches? Usually when filling out the spa questionaire just write "No Sales Please" or make it known before getting comfy for the massage that you are not interested in any other services, thank you.

Sorry your experience wasn't all you had hoped, I hope the rest of the cruise was a fun experience.

So did you tip and if so how much? Kind of hard to figure out what the tip is when the massage part is lumped in with all the other things. I got the package on our upcoming cruise. I was told that the 18% tip on the dinners and 25 mins massage was included. There's no 25 minute massage for sale on the spa menu so nothing to price compare. I was thinking about leaving something extra if my experience is enjoyable and relaxing but a 9x's sales pitch within 25 minutes time span doesn't sound too relaxing.

I got the package on our upcoming cruise. I was told that the 18% tip on the dinners and 25 mins massage was included.
Did you get that writing? It doesn't say either way in the description of the package on the NCL website (or in Explore & Plan if you try to order it).
Those sound pretty reasonable.
I agree, $10 for a thermal suite day pass is a steal (they could have gone earlier in the day, and after the massage). The OP didn't say how much they were asking for to extend the massage.

The first massage I got on Norwegian 8 years ago the masseuse put the hard sell on me for products at the end of my massage, basically telling me that I was getting old and if I didn't buy their products or book more services I was going to be old, ugly and unhealthy. :mad: On my next massage intake form, at the bottom, I wrote "Do not try to sell me on anything. If I want something I will ask!" Now I let the masseuse know in the beginning that if I am interested in any of the products I will ask. I have not had a problem since then.

Did you get that writing? It doesn't say either way in the description of the package on the NCL website (or in Explore & Plan if you try to order it).

I agree, $10 for a thermal suite day pass is a steal (they could have gone earlier in the day, and after the massage). The OP didn't say how much they were asking for to extend the massage.

No I didn't. I called and ordered, paid for and was told. It makes sense to me that when given as a gift, the receiver is not charged extra just to receive a gift. My understanding is that 18% on dinners and other gifts Is paid at time of purchase and thus can retain its, "gift" status vs turn into an extra fee burden.

The way it was explained to me is that I can give extra above DSC and various package fees to anyone I feel has gone above and beyond to make my vacation special but that I am not expected or mandated to give extra above what I am pre charged for nor are additional tips expected. If I am expected to give 18% + on a massage with ? $ value to begin with and expected to pay an additional 18% + on my romance package dinners it is a very different product than I thought. I was figuring an extra cash tip for good service to those I choose to tip depending on service. I'm not expecting to get a bill for a le bistro dinner and have to pay an additional $20-30 just for one dinner tip a la carte priced when the romance pkg says the dinner is included.

Booking the massage appt:"it's ONLY 25mins of a massage", offered to us an UPGRADE to have a longer massage for a fee of course, we declined...UPSELL attempt #2, for ONLY another $10/person (before tax I'm sure) we could UPGRADE to using the spa facilities for the full day, we declined. This wasn't an upsell but they reminded us that the massage gratuities are NOT included in the package. We arrive for our appt, UPSELL #3/#4, same longer massage re-pitch and facilities re-pitched, we pass...Get the massage, when over my masseuse tells me my shoulders are messed up and that I'm in luck because if I book a couple more appts during this cruise he can fix them! Same with my new wife, tells her back is "a little tight", but more appts can fix them! That was UPSELL #5/#6...Upon cashing out at the front desk #7 was "offering" to book future massages, #8 was "reminding" us that the $10/person facility offer is still valid and #9 they have (overpriced) products available for us to purchase.

This is normal and expected. Nothing to get your feathers ruffled. I never buy anything, but find it interesting on what they have to sell. It's their job. Just like the cashier at McDonalds upselling you on the the two apple pies for $1. Or suggesting that you "need" that large french fry. Respectfully decline and see what else they have in their basket. Enjoy!

No I didn't. I called and ordered, paid for and was told. It makes sense to me that when given as a gift, the receiver is not charged extra just to receive a gift. My understanding is that 18% on dinners and other gifts Is paid at time of purchase and thus can retain its, "gift" status vs turn into an extra fee burden.

The way it was explained to me is that I can give extra above DSC and various package fees to anyone I feel has gone above and beyond to make my vacation special but that I am not expected or mandated to give extra above what I am pre charged for nor are additional tips expected. If I am expected to give 18% + on a massage with ? $ value to begin with and expected to pay an additional 18% + on my romance package dinners it is a very different product than I thought. I was figuring an extra cash tip for good service to those I choose to tip depending on service. I'm not expecting to get a bill for a le bistro dinner and have to pay an additional $20-30 just for one dinner tip a la carte priced when the romance pkg says the dinner is included.

Guess what? Spa is not part of the DSC. I hope you tip the poor masseuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Guess what? Spa is not part of the DSC. I hope you tip the poor masseuse.

I was well aware the DSC does not include spa services. I hope I tip the poor masseuse too! But on a package that includes the dinners, flowers, massages..... And the massages have no price assigned, on what cost do I tip this person?

I was well aware the DSC does not include spa services. I hope I tip the poor masseuse too! But on a package that includes the dinners, flowers, massages..... And the massages have no price assigned, on what cost do I tip this person?

Based on my extensive massage experience [emoji2]I know cheap places/chair massage might charge a buck a minute. Nice spas about twice that. So, $50 service. Calculates to $9. If it was awesome I'd round to $10. I would not tip less than $7. That is just what I would do.

I agree, as in other cruise lines. A reason for the aggressive marketing by all staff.'

I have probably had many more massages than anyone on this board,(sea and land). It never becomes agressive for me. I kindly nip it in the bud. I have never been hounded.

Edited by DMH15

Based on my extensive massage experience [emoji2]I know cheap places/chair massage might charge a buck a minute. Nice spas about twice that. So, $50 service. Calculates to $9. If it was awesome I'd round to $10. I would not tip less than $7. That is just what I would do.

Thanks. Pretty much what I was figuring. Still a little perplexed on the romance package included dinners. We also have a dining package that we already paid 18% on. I guess they'll let us know which meals we need to pay an additional 18% when the bill comes.

Thanks. Pretty much what I was figuring. Still a little perplexed on the romance package included dinners. We also have a dining package that we already paid 18% on. I guess they'll let us know which meals we need to pay an additional 18% when the bill comes.

I have never heard of them presenting anyone with a bill just for the 18% after a free or pre-paid specialty dinner. And I'm quite certain that if it ever happened, it would be reported on here 30 seconds later.

Spa services should be the same: 18% is added to the bill automatically. In cases where there is no bill, it's appropriate to consider giving them a tip, but it's inappropriate for them to sollicit tips.