Has anyone canceled a cruise and taken the loss?

slyone14

Just curious here. I have a cruised booked and I think I found a cruise I would rather go on. I am two weeks from sailing so I know I would only get my excursions and cheers money back, which I am okay with. I would use this money to book another cruise?

So, my question is this, has anyone here ever taken a loss on a cruise to book a different cruise for one reason or another? Or am I just crazy?

The biggest question would be WHY???? At this point, you have already paid for it and won't get anything back. Why not take it and book the other cruise at another time and get twice the enjoyment.

Side note - CHEERS is not refundable after you are on the ship, but it is refundable before sailing.

I have canceled cruises a couple of times to book something else or just postponed but never after final payment. I always book early saver and have had mixed results with loss of fee. So far if I had another cruise to book immediately when canceling I have had the fee waived and been able to lose 0$ in the process a couple of times. Other times I have lost the $50 and had balance of deposit held to apply to future cruise within two years.

Just curious here. I have a cruised booked and I think I found a cruise I would rather go on. I am two weeks from sailing so I know I would only get my excursions and cheers money back, which I am okay with. I would use this money to book another cruise?

So, my question is this, has anyone here ever taken a loss on a cruise to book a different cruise for one reason or another? Or am I just crazy?

If you would enjoy the other cruise more and get more bang for your buck than by all means go for it.

For instance to give up $ 500 on a cruise to the Bahamas versus a once in a lifetime cruise to the Antarctic.

But we don't know the details so it is hard to say

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, if I get my refund for the excursions and cheers and the cruise dollars I put in, that will be about $650, making my loss about $400.

My reasoning is I am a solo traveler, in my 30s who is looking to meet people and have fun. I just keep hearing that NCL Escape really caters towards solo travelers and I would meet tons of other solo travelers to have dinner with, and do things with. The solo cord sets you up with dinners together and events, and you usually end of doing lots of stuff together. With Carnival (this will be my gold cruise) its more of a challenge, ill meet at my table and usually in the club but that's really it, the rest is alone. Especially id like to eat at a specialty place for my 36th bday and being alone would be not as fun. Now, I am extremely outgoing so its not hard to meet people. Thoughts?

If I book NCl Escape, i could change my flight at no charge with southwest. Also for a studio cabin i would only be paying 400 more. Which is a lot i know, but. The dates are all the same.

I should put this out there. My cruise now, is Carnival Breeze 7 day to Cozumel/belize and Honduras.

The other is NCl escape to St Thomas/st marten and Nassau

Keep in mind this is my 6th cruise, all with carnival, lol

I would never be able to justify that to myself.

We do, however, gamble sometimes on cruises. Meaning that when we grab an inside guaranty pack-and-go rate, we don't always get the insurance as the cruise was dirt cheap. If something happens and we miss the cruise then we know that we took the chance and will lose the money.

Well, if I get my refund for the excursions and cheers and the cruise dollars I put in, that will be about $650, making my loss about $400.

My reasoning is I am a solo traveler, in my 30s who is looking to meet people and have fun. I just keep hearing that NCL Escape really caters towards solo travelers and I would meet tons of other solo travelers to have dinner with, and do things with. The solo cord sets you up with dinners together and events, and you usually end of doing lots of stuff together. With Carnival (this will be my gold cruise) its more of a challenge, ill meet at my table and usually in the club but that's really it, the rest is alone. Especially id like to eat at a specialty place for my 36th bday and being alone would be not as fun. Now, I am extremely outgoing so its not hard to meet people. Thoughts?

If I book NCl Escape, i could change my flight at no charge with southwest. Also for a studio cabin i would only be paying 400 more. Which is a lot i know, but. The dates are all the same.

So your total loss would be $800 . $400 for cancellation on breeze and $400 for the studio on Ncl and what if there are not a lot of solos on your cruise or solos you do not care for .

Now, I am extremely outgoing so its not hard to meet people.

If you are extremely outgoing and don't have a hard time meeting people, then why do you need NCL to help you meet people? I'm not sure that I'm understanding the reasoning. Why would it be easier to meet people on NCL than Carnival, if you are really that outgoing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am a single person ... and I love cruising. However, instead of booking "solo" cruises (and paying double anyway) ... I just plan on treating one of my "fun" friends who couldn't afford the cruise fare - I pay the cruise fare for them, and they pay for the airfare, taxes, grats, and onboard expenses. They can usually afford those things if they don't have to ALSO pay the cruise fare ... and they usually get a bargain for a 7 day cruise ... Maybe their out of pocket is $400-$500 TOTAL ... and these cruises are planned a year in advance so they have time to save up the money.

I don't think I would have fun cruising "solo" -- even though I am also outgoing, I like to at least have a guaranteed roll-dawg for the week.

If I were you tho, I would NOT cancel your carnival cruise. It's already booked, just GO. I'm sure you will have a blast and meet someone (or a couple) who would love to go to a specialty restaurant for your birthday... especially if you pick up the tab!

Happy Birthday and HAVE FUN!

For what its worth, I cruised solo last year on NCL and didn't even know they had anything special for solos. But then again they didn't even have a wait staff for pool side drinks. I could never say a cruise in the Caribbean is bad but this was the worst for service and entertainment that I've been on. I have tried many of the major cruise lines and found that Carnival is one of the best for me. They always have something happening to attend or participate in, and most of the people are very friendly.

Stay on the Carnival cruise!

I am going to listen to everyone and stick with Carnival. Its not only the 400 but then I forgot about other things ie, excursions and prepaid grats, which is all paid for already. ILl take my piece of mind knowing my wallet is better.

I did join the cc rol call, but its really quiet and dead. Ill speak with the Dining room guy and request a table he thinks would suit me. You all are right, money aside its a big loss and not to mention added cost will probably be well over 400.

Plus, I can cheat on my wife, Carnival, I feel like ive been loyal so far, and ill finally hit gold. Thanks everyone.

I am a single person ... and I love cruising. However, instead of booking "solo" cruises (and paying double anyway) ... I just plan on treating one of my "fun" friends who couldn't afford the cruise fare - I pay the cruise fare for them, and they pay for the airfare, taxes, grats, and onboard expenses. They can usually afford those things if they don't have to ALSO pay the cruise fare ... and they usually get a bargain for a 7 day cruise ... Maybe their out of pocket is $400-$500 TOTAL ... and these cruises are planned a year in advance so they have time to save up the money.

I don't think I would have fun cruising "solo" -- even though I am also outgoing, I like to at least have a guaranteed roll-dawg for the week.

If I were you tho, I would NOT cancel your carnival cruise. It's already booked, just GO. I'm sure you will have a blast and meet someone (or a couple) who would love to go to a specialty restaurant for your birthday... especially if you pick up the tab!

Happy Birthday and HAVE FUN!

Can I be your friend? lol