Royal Caribbean...will Celebrity be next?

Islandgirl4242

Royal Caribbean is making changes to its' beverage packages. New pricing is "exclusive" of all gratuities and only one includes alcohol. Cruise prices increasing, beverage packages increasing, a push towards specialty dining options...will the ships still be filled? ~~Judy

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7224&UTM_Source=Social&UTM_Medium=Facebook&UTM_Campaign=Cruise

Royal Caribbean is making changes to its' beverage packages. New pricing is "exclusive" of all gratuities and only one includes alcohol. Cruise prices increasing, beverage packages increasing, a push towards specialty dining options...will the ships still be filled? ~~Judy

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7224&UTM_Source=Social&UTM_Medium=Facebook&UTM_Campaign=Cruise

The new drinks packages are shown ex gratuity but once you add them to your basket the gratuity is added and you pay the gratuity inclusive price upfront. No need for extra gratuity onboard.

It's the same with Celebrity. Package prices are advertised ex gratuity but when you pay for a package the grats are added. No requirement for per drink gratuity onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

That isn't correct and is a non story. The new drinks packages are shown ex gratuity but once you add them to your basket the gratuity is added and you pay the gratuity inclusive price upfront. No need for extra gratuity onboard.

It's the same with Celebrity. Package prices are advertised ex gratuity but when you pay for a package the grats are added.

I don't really see the difference from the previous package prices that always showed the price of a drinks package excluding grats then added it at the point of payment of the package.

This is correct. Not sure why article says gratuities are not included :confused:

This is correct. Not sure why article says gratuities are not included :confused:

Package prices have always been shown ex grats. Some have seen the recent package changes and think they need to tip per drink onboard. That's not the case.

Package prices have always been shown ex grats. Some have seen the recent package changes and think they need to tip per drink onboard. That's not the case.

That's what I thought. I just checked the fine print on Royal's website and came across "gratuities may be added based on itinerary" Maybe this is the change??

Doesn't Celebrity's packages include gratuities? Sounds like Royal is copying the nickle & dime kings NCL, who also exclude gratuities.

The new drinks packages are shown ex gratuity but once you add them to your basket the gratuity is added and you pay the gratuity inclusive price upfront. No need for extra gratuity onboard.

It's the same with Celebrity. Package prices are advertised ex gratuity but when you pay for a package the grats are added. No requirement for per drink gratuity onboard.

Yup.

When you look at the RCI Deluxe Package it is very similar to the Premium Package on Celebrity. Celebrity actually advertises their beverage packages exclusive of gratuities...but then adds the gratuity percentage at the time you purchase the package. Not including the mandatory gratuity is simply a marketing scam which allows them to advertise a lower price then the actual package.

Hank

When you look at the RCI Deluxe Package it is very similar to the Premium Package on Celebrity. Celebrity actually advertises their beverage packages exclusive of gratuities...but then adds the gratuity percentage at the time you purchase the package. Not including the mandatory gratuity is simply a marketing scam which allows them to advertise a lower price then the actual package.

Hank

And is not allowed On purchases made in the UK through a UK site. Hence prices quoted in the UK include all compulsory service charges. Once on board this doesn't apply but Celebrity do include all compulsory service charges on Price lists on the Ecliose ex Southampton.

I was thinking of when the package is included as a perk, not purchased. NCL included it as a perk this past summer, but when you booked, they charged you the gratuities on the cost of a package. Guess I misunderstood (happily!)

If you drink what the value per day is on the drink packages you'll be too buzzed to even care what the gratuities paid or unpaid are.

Totally disagree with your rebel rousing comment. Check the prices of beverages these days and if you include the non alcoholic ones, it doesn't take long to rack up $55 a day, so it doesn't mean anyone will be 'buzzed' to use your terminology. More likely to be 'buzzed' from all the artificial ingredients in the soda from the freestyle machines or fountain guns at a bar!

Does Royal have fresh squeezed OJ? Or is it like =X=, previously frozen?

For 35 days on Explorer OTS... right as you walk into the buffet area... there was an orange juicer running pretty much every second of every minute of every hour!

Doesn't Celebrity's packages include gratuities? Sounds like Royal is copying the nickle & dime kings NCL, who also exclude gratuities.

That was my thinking. I've always bought a future cruise certificate on NCL (we're platinum) but with the excessive "gratuity" prepayment, I won't again. It makes me feel like I have to maximize use of the beverage package to justify a large prepaid gratuity cost. No way would we have used that much $$$ on the package. I don't mind paying gratuities one way or the other, but don't like that pricing model. Either it should be included in the price of the cruise, like X, or paid based on what one consumes. Water is not included, another reason never to book a beverage package on NCL. Their new management has ruined that line IMHO.

RCI;s OJ is "from concentrate"...like you buy in a grocery store. Almost ALL OJ is from concentrate...that's why every bottle tastes the same! Even "frozen concentrate" is from fresh oranges...concentrated, and frozen...mix with water. It's all the same stuff!

RCI;s OJ is "from concentrate"...like you buy in a grocery store. Almost ALL OJ is from concentrate...that's why every bottle tastes the same! Even "frozen concentrate" is from fresh oranges...concentrated, and frozen...mix with water. It's all the same stuff!

RCI also has fresh squeezed oj in the windjammer and yes its an extra charge.