Crew Wearing Life Jackets?

Elaine5715

Looks like a muster drill back in the day when you were suppose to wear your life jacket (and DON'T put the whistle in your mouth)

why would they be on the bow of the ship, away from muster stations then?

given the photo credit (as pointed out above) from 1998, i'd bet it has to do with the fire on the 'ecstasy' in 1998... they more likely went there because it was furthest from the fire aft.

it's pretty incredible they decided to use an 18 year old image from an entirely unrelated event. this is why i do not watch or listen to msnbc.

a-fleet-of-tugboats-fought-the-fire-and-pulled-the-ship-to-shore-but-not-before-8-passengers-and-14-crew-members-were-injured.jpg

Edited by falkcor

it's pretty incredible they decided to use an 18 year old image from an entirely unrelated event. this is why i do not watch or listen to msnbc.

It's the same image being used by multiple news outlets. Why? your guess is as good as mine.

why would they be on the bow of the ship, away from muster stations then?

given the photo credit (as pointed out above) from 1998, i'd bet it has to do with the fire on the 'ecstasy' in 1998... they more likely went there because it was furthest from the fire aft.

It's not just MSNBC. None of the photos I have seen in articles about this incident show the current configuration of deck 11 ( from which the passenger was seen going overboard), which now has Waterworks installed. They just grab a stock photo and go with it without any thought as to whether it is current.

Yep, they would. Pretty sad.

Well, the Titanic was owned by White Star, Cunard bought White Star, and Cunard was acquired by Carnival Corporation, so Carnival does own the Titanic.

But that still doesn't excuse lazy journalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not just MSNBC. None of the photos I have seen in articles about this incident show the current configuration of deck 11 ( from which the passenger was seen going overboard), which now has Waterworks installed. They just grab a stock photo and go with it without any thought as to whether it is current.

Look at it this way - There are literally hundreds of ships afloat out there. It would be impossible to keep current photos of every ship. The reporter was not on the ship so they use what is available to them.

Our son is the chief video editor for a TV station. Part of his job is looking through archives for video that matches a story. In most cases, it's not current but it's all that they have so they go with it.

Even a UK website had that image, which was clearly credited properly if you read it under the pic. So no it wasn't just one specific news outlet. And why they use certain images that have no relevance is anyone's guess. The media outlets aren't concerned with making sure ship images are accurate. They'll use whatever they come up that looks like a ship. The story itself is the point.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

It seems like it would be worth it for Carnival just to send an update every 2-3 years with current images of all of the ships across all its brands. Get the big 5 news outlets (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and CNN) and maybe a few key newspapers like USA Today, and some of the major market local papers.

It seems like it would be worth it for Carnival just to send an update every 2-3 years with current images of all of the ships across all its brands. Get the big 5 news outlets (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and CNN) and maybe a few key newspapers like USA Today, and some of the major market local papers.

Any time those five news outlets and key newspapers would use those photos would be for bad news and I'm sure any cruise line would rather not even be mentioned. You never see anything good mentioned about a cruise line.