Circular Quay Two Ship Turnaround

Yeah back to the old days.....when I paid $2300p/p in 2003 for an inside cabin on the Pacific Sky......and the beds didnt even push together......and Fiesta deck.:eek:

I know what you are saying. :) We started cruising in 1983 on the Fairstar taking our three children. I am horrified when I now look at how much we paid. I kept an old brochure because our kids were photographed in it. The fare for a twin share cabin (really basic) with a porthole and a bathroom works out (in today's money) at $700 per night per person.

I know what you are saying. :) We started cruising in 1983 on the Fairstar taking our three children. I am horrified when I now look at how much we paid. I kept an old brochure because our kids were photographed in it. The fare for a twin share cabin (really basic) with a porthole and a bathroom works out (in today's money) at $700 per night per person.

:eek::eek::eek: I was just thinking of my first Fairstar cruise in 1982, 4 berth with strangers, bathroom in the hallway......I am sure I paid about $1600 for 14 nights, that was alot back then.

In 2006 we took two of our teenage kids on the Pacific Sun for 9 mights inside 4 berth for $850p/p......I thought I had on the lottery:p

:eek::eek::eek: I was just thinking of my first Fairstar cruise in 1982, 4 berth with strangers, bathroom in the hallway......I am sure I paid about $1600 for 14 nights, that was alot back then.

In 2006 we took two of our teenage kids on the Pacific Sun for 9 mights inside 4 berth for $850p/p......I thought I had on the lottery:p

When people complain to me about the 'ad-ons' today (coffee cards, high price of alcohol, price of tours, photos etc. etc.) I tell them what we used to pay in the 'good old days'. The current business model is to keep the initial price very low - it doesn't even pay to run the ship. Then the cruiseline makes a profit from extras. If they didn't make a profit, they wouldn't be in business. :)

When people complain to me about the 'ad-ons' today (coffee cards, high price of alcohol, price of tours, photos etc. etc.) I tell them what we used to pay in the 'good old days'. The current business model is to keep the initial price very low - it doesn't even pay to run the ship. Then the cruiseline makes a profit from extras. If they didn't make a profit, they wouldn't be in business. :)

True, works well for us these days.....reduced fares and we don't do drink packages, photo's ,ship excursions, bingo.etc etc maybe a specialty restaurant now and then.

Now back on topic, when are they moving the naval base, raising the harbour bridge and removing the opera house???

You just have to look at the Royal Caribbean pricing, especially in the last few months before the sail date. They have some serious bargains. Unfortunately for those of us who do like the odd drink or three they gouge it back on their onboard prices. :eek:

True, works well for us these days.....reduced fares and we don't do drink packages, photo's ,ship excursions, bingo.etc etc maybe a specialty restaurant now and then.

Now back on topic, when are they moving the naval base, raising the harbour bridge and removing the opera house???

Actually I think Princess is getting more expensive. They do have the occasional bargain but you really have to be on the lookout for them (thanks once again for the tip on the 2018 Tokyo cruise), and have FCCs to be able to take advantage of them even if you're not 100% certain you can do that cruise.

You just have to look at the Royal Caribbean pricing, especially in the last few months before the sail date. They have some serious bargains. Unfortunately for those of us who do like the odd drink or three they gouge it back on their onboard prices. :eek:

I know, I have looked at those prices, but when we factor in we cant take softies and extra wine.....the drink packages are way over our usual onboard spend. Even the wine packages converted to AUD are too expensive.....can't combine OBC either, so not worth buying future cruise deposits.

I have tried to work with it all, even the Radiance as we love that ship design, but the cheaper prices end up costing us way more onboard:(

Actually I think Princess is getting more expensive. They do have the occasional bargain but you really have to be on the lookout for them (thanks once again for the tip on the 2018 Tokyo cruise), and have FCCs to be able to take advantage of them even if you're not 100% certain you can do that cruise.

Yep their prices are up there, but using the future cruise deposits and working the system, way to go!! Then can cancel and move that deposit around, pays to have a couple handy!!

Edited by cheznandy

I know, I have looked at those prices, but when we factor in we cant take softies and extra wine.....the drink packages are way over our usual onboard spend. Even the wine packages converted to AUD are too expensive.....can't combine OBC either, so not worth buying future cruise deposits.

I have tried to work with it all, even the Radiance as we love that ship design, but the cheaper prices end up costing us way more onboard:(

Haven't tried Radiance. We loved Rhapsody but didn't like the overall RCI experience. Too much upselling, and the service in the bars was almost non-existent - on a nine night cruise I think we actually got waiter service twice in the atrium bar, we always had to line up at the bar to get our own drinks. On Princess we've rarely had to do that in the evenings.

Haven't tried Radiance. We loved Rhapsody but didn't like the overall RCI experience. Too much upselling, and the service in the bars was almost non-existent - on a nine night cruise I think we actually got waiter service twice in the atrium bar, we always had to line up at the bar to get our own drinks. On Princess we've rarely had to do that in the evenings.

Cruise Rhapsody, Radiance, Voyager and Explorer, really wanted to give them a go, but the Voyager and Explorer are not our style, no aft pool/deck area. Feel like I am inside all the time.

If you get a chance, try the Radiance, lovely designed ship:)

Can count 4 lovely pools on Princess, Voyager class we only had the middle pool which was loud with music and games and big screen......then the adults only pool which was hard to get a sunlounge.

If we had young kids we would take them on RCCL or Carnival, but Princess is our preferred.

Cruise Rhapsody, Radiance, Voyager and Explorer, really wanted to give them a go, but the Voyager and Explorer are not our style, no aft pool/deck area. Feel like I am inside all the time.

If you get a chance, try the Radiance, lovely designed ship:)

Can count 4 lovely pools on Princess, Voyager class we only had the middle pool which was loud with music and games and big screen......then the adults only pool which was hard to get a sunlounge.

If we had young kids we would take them on RCCL or Carnival, but Princess is our preferred.

Not sure I want to experience RCI again :rolleyes:

The real drawcard for us with Princess is the Sanctuary, especially on the bigger ships where it's above the Lotus Spa Pool. Relaxation heaven! :)

Not sure I want to experience RCI again :rolleyes:

The real drawcard for us with Princess is the Sanctuary, especially on the bigger ships where it's above the Lotus Spa Pool. Relaxation heaven! :)

I just watched a youtube video of the Emerald and the Sanctuary looked lovely.

We do use the Lotus pool area.....shhhh.....cos some think it is for paying spa people only:p:p

I just watched a youtube video of the Emerald and the Sanctuary looked lovely.

We do use the Lotus pool area.....shhhh.....cos some think it is for paying spa people only:p:p

It's gorgeous. We really loved it on Golden. Had amazing views, especially through Torres Strait. Luckily I'd done my research and booked our sun loungers on the port side which was the best for that trip. The sun loungers are sooo comfortable, and the afternoon tea is just wicked - served at your sun lounger. Plus it's just a short walk down to the Lotus Spa pool when you want to cool off.

While Garden Island would be the most ideal location for a new terminal, its definitely going to happen any time soon; unless they find a reason to move the navy base to another location.

I honestly believe Port Botany is the way to go, and after a quick look on Google Earth there seems to be potential in a seemingly unused carpark just North of the new wharf development. Obviously a bit of work would need to be done; including dredging, but Royal Caribbean mentioned they would be happy to base their ships out of Port Botany, with an inclusion of a scenic harbour cruise in the evening.

ab1d4ac8_o.png

If the wharf was extended far enough, you could even have two ****s docked here at any one time. The location seems to have a fair amount of vehicular access, however work would need to be done on public transport. Possibly an extension of the new South East Light Rail? Or even just shuttle services to/from the airport and city. They could use the port for seasonal or year round based ships and reserve the OPT for the ones visiting on world cruises.

While Garden Island would be the most ideal location for a new terminal, its definitely going to happen any time soon; unless they find a reason to move the navy base to another location.

I honestly believe Port Botany is the way to go, and after a quick look on Google Earth there seems to be potential in a seemingly unused carpark just North of the new wharf development. Obviously a bit of work would need to be done; including dredging, but Royal Caribbean mentioned they would be happy to base their ships out of Port Botany, with an inclusion of a scenic harbour cruise in the evening.

ab1d4ac8_o.png

If the wharf was extended far enough, you could even have two ****s docked here at any one time. The location seems to have a fair amount of vehicular access, however work would need to be done on public transport. Possibly an extension of the new South East Light Rail? Or even just shuttle services to/from the airport and city. They could use the port for seasonal or year round based ships and reserve the OPT for the ones visiting on world cruises.

I think if they build a new terminal OPT and probably white Bay, will go to finance it. The OPT location must be worth a fortune to a developer.

ab1d4ac8_o.png

Imaginative option, but this carpark is actually a public boat ramp/beach that is well utilised in the warmer months and even in the cool season. Not suggesting it couldn't be reclaimed but it was just recently "renovated" so I can't see it really happening.

It's nice and close to the airport though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if they build a new terminal OPT and probably white Bay, will go to finance it. The OPT location must be worth a fortune to a developer.

I can't imagine them getting rid of the OPT, especially after all the recent work they have done it but yeah White Bay can go. The whole area is going to be transformed anyway, may as well include the White Bay Cruise Terminal section too.

I or acquiring the old HMAS Platypus site and turning it into a dock.

I highly doubt the HMAS Platypus site is a potential candidate. This site already has a masterplan to include cafes and recreational facilities for the local community. It is situated in the middle of a quite local area. Adding the infrastructure to cater for 3000 to 5000 passengers is not viable without destroying the local community.

Perhaps cruise lines should build ships that fit under bridges :) or tender of atoll bay. tendering is fun embarrass it

I highly doubt the HMAS Platypus site is a potential candidate. This site already has a masterplan to include cafes and recreational facilities for the local community. It is situated in the middle of a quite local area. Adding the infrastructure to cater for 3000 to 5000 passengers is not viable without destroying the local community.

Perhaps cruise lines should build ships that fit under bridges :) or tender of atoll bay. tendering is fun embarrass it

That was my whole point of using the site. The government would need compulsary acquisition orders to take all the property around the area and demolish it to make way for a cruise terminal.

Tendering is fine for most passengers, it is the restocking of the ship's and getting the luggage aboard that are the real issues.

As for the local community, I really don't see that as a consideration for either the government or the developers who would only see the money aspects.

Imaginative option, but this carpark is actually a public boat ramp/beach that is well utilised in the warmer months and even in the cool season. Not suggesting it couldn't be reclaimed but it was just recently "renovated" so I can't see it really happening.

It's nice and close to the airport though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine if Fairds Government pulls all plugs to build a new pax TERMINAL.Looking at the green space around,across the Foreshore Rd and Botany Rd,Fairds will get his mates to build UNIT-VILLE,with,water,container,plane,VIEWS,for inhabits,sending them ALL,down the gurgle?

We are loosing our Sydney.ROOM FOR MUCH,MUCH MORE.

If they build there in Mascot they could turn that golf course into a megaplex of a cruise terminal, units, cafes and long and short stay carparks just to cater for cruise industry.

Thats what i suggested above.

Crowded,Crowded,Reminds of Japan.Swap a Golf Course for a Golf Range.

MORE UNITS,EXTRA UNITS,too expensive to buy.APPARTMENTS,APPARTMENTS.

There new digs will have washing everywhere blowing in the wind and it will blow in lieu to the

NEW SYDNEY.

Remember,Its approx. 10 yrs back when Rup Murdock publicly announced that Australia needed 50 million population.