Help with Euros!!!

Cherber

We are leaving for a Spain/Cruise is 12 days. I booked most of my tours private not ship excursions. My problem they would all like to be paid in Euros and the total of all tours is rather high. I went to my bank and they want to charge an additional 13cents for each dollar I exchange, which I might add is VERY COSTLY. Since I am going to Spain a few days before the cruise takes off is it better to change dollars to euros there? Do they exchange on ship? What would you suggest I do? Time is ticking so please help:confused:

If you have an ATM card from your bank this is the most effective way to exchange that I have found. My BOA account was just a few cents off the daily exchange rate per transaction !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that using an ATM in Europe gives the bast exchange rate. Also, if you use a card like Capital One, there are no foreign transaction fees and they reimburse ATM fees up to $30 per month.

If you have an ATM card from your bank this is the most effective way to exchange that I have found. My BOA account was just a few cents off the daily exchange rate per transaction !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATM is the best bet, especially if you have a card that has no foreign transaction fee.

Hands down, as others have suggested, use an ATM card. I only use it at European bank ATMs versus the random "independent" ATMs you may come across in the streets. The transaction fees tend to be lower as are the exchange rate fees. I wouldn't use a credit card that acts as an ATM card because those transactions are treated like credit card transactions by my companies and the fees and interest rates are crazy.

daily limit is set by YOUR bank

hence the comment to talk to your bank b4 you go

I get a couple of hundred in EU b4 we leave, then ATM for the rest of the stay

(charge most things)

never had a problem

but I always carry a primary and BACKUP card . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thank you everyone.

The ATM in Europe....how much can you take out at one time? Or does it have to do with your bank in the States?

It's both.

ATMs are programmed to dispense a maximum number of bills and it can be different for a bank customer or non-customer.

Your daily withdrawal limit may also be different when you are at your bank's ATM or a non on-us transaction. Check with your bank to find out the limits. Also be aware a new daily limit may not start at midnight where your bank is located. Most banks will temporarily raise limits.

Obviously your daily limit in dollars will not match Euros. $500 dollar limit will net less Euros, so it will be harder to get your exact limit.

Only use a banks' ATM. No store ATMs!

Don't use your credit card unless you are willing to start paying interest immediately on your cash advance.

Enjoy your cruise.

We are leaving for a Spain/Cruise is 12 days. I booked most of my tours private not ship excursions. My problem they would all like to be paid in Euros and the total of all tours is rather high. I went to my bank and they want to charge an additional 13cents for each dollar I exchange, which sI might add is VERY COSTLY. Since I am going to Spain a few days before the cruise takes off is it better to change dollars to euros there? Do they exchange on ship? What would you suggest I do? Time is ticking so please help:confused:

We were on the Vision for 28 days April and May this year. We prepaid what tours we could in advance and brought euros with us to cover whatever we could not put on our credit card. We tried to use our ATM towards the end of our trip at several bank locations. Despite our bank telling us we would have no problems using our ATM in Europe the transactions were all unsuccessful. We have since learned that the problem was our ATM card is not attached to a debit card.

With no other options we had to exchange dollars on the ship. The ship charged us $125 for 100 euros. Ironically Europeans who were establishing cash accounts at the same time were given par for their euros to dollars. When I questioned this discrepancy I was told they had no control over the rate exchange.

daily limit is set by YOUR bank

hence the comment to talk to your bank b4 you go

I get a couple of hundred in EU b4 we leave, then ATM for the rest of the stay

(charge most things)

never had a problem

but I always carry a primary and BACKUP card . . .

Ditto! Want a couple hundred in me when I hit the ground just in the event of an unforeseen emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are leaving for a Spain/Cruise is 12 days. I booked most of my tours private not ship excursions. My problem they would all like to be paid in Euros and the total of all tours is rather high. I went to my bank and they want to charge an additional 13cents for each dollar I exchange, which I might add is VERY COSTLY. Since I am going to Spain a few days before the cruise takes off is it better to change dollars to euros there? Do they exchange on ship? What would you suggest I do? Time is ticking so please help:confused:

Not sure how many euros you need but Bank of America does not charge any fee if you buy $1000 worth of Euros. If something like this doesn't work for you the suggestions others have made about using the ATM is a good one. Exchanging your $$ for Euros onboard is not favorable to you.....as is turning in your Euros to $$.

Not sure which bank you use. However, we got euros from Wells Fargo. They charge a $7.50 US priority postage fee to send them to the bank for pick-up. Their exchange rate was very good. I am sure you may get a little better rate at a European ATM.

But, when I did this for a European cruise I found I lost very little in the exchange at my bank and gained a lot of peace of mind. . . . I will say that we only had 3 days pre-cruise and paid for B & B with CC.

YMMV

I agree that using an ATM in Europe gives the bast exchange rate. Also, if you use a card like Capital One, there are no foreign transaction fees and they reimburse ATM fees up to $30 per month.

Bob, which Capital One card (what type of card) are you talking about? I have a platinum banking ATM card with Capital One, used to be no foreign transaction fee for using ATMs abroad, but about a year ago, they started imposing a 3% foreign transaction fee for ATM use. I'm still looking for an ATM card without that fee...

Thanks

Despite our bank telling us we would have no problems using our ATM in Europe the transactions were all unsuccessful. We have since learned that the problem was our ATM card is not attached to a debit card.

I'm very surprised your bank told you you would have no problems.

Before our Norway cruise with a visit to England this summer, we stopped in our bank (Chase) to ensure we had cards that would work. I definitely needed a new card, because, like you, I only had an ATM card, not a debit. And both my husband and I needed new cards anyway, because neither of our old cards were chip and pin, which is required in Europe.

Bob, which Capital One card (what type of card) are you talking about? I have a platinum banking ATM card with Capital One, used to be no foreign transaction fee for using ATMs abroad, but about a year ago, they started imposing a 3% foreign transaction fee for ATM use. I'm still looking for an ATM card without that fee...

Thanks

I use a Capital One MasterCard debit card against a checking account.

I use a Capital One MasterCard debit card against a checking account.

That's exactly what mine is. I'll check with my branch manager again. Very odd. (They keep changing their products. It's quite frustrating.)

Thanks Bob.

Edited to add: Bob, is your account with Capital One, or their online Capital One 360?

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/

Edited by Turtles06

That's exactly what mine is. I'll check with my branch manager again. Very odd. (They keep changing their products. It's quite frustrating.)

Thanks Bob.

Edited to add: Bob, is your account with Capital One, or their online Capital One 360?

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/

Not 360. It's called Capital One Interest Online Checking.