Logistics Help - 2 Adults, 2 Kids in Strollers & 4 Suitcases - How Did You Do It?

Jennnfusion

No matter how I try to imagine it, I can't envision how my husband and I will get through the port and onto the ship with 4 large suitcases and two kids in strollers (2.5 & 10 mo).

Are there luggage carts or connectors or something else that can make this task easier? Or umbrella stroller mods?

My littlest guy will still tolerate riding in the Ergo carrier, so that could be an option too. My toddler is super active, so I will need her strapped in a stroller for sure.

I don't really see any way of cutting down to fewer suitcases for the weeklong, considering the little guy needs 100 diapers and we'll need to pack toys for them.

Any advice is much appreciated!

When you arrive at port, there are porters to take your bags! Make sure you do have a carry-on with whatever you need until dinner...diapers, all medications, valuables, etc.....put the kids in the strollers , and if they don't want to ride, you can use the strollers as "dollys" to carry your carry-on stuff! But give the larger cases to the porters. $1-2 per bag is the common tip.

The ship has a "toy exchange", so you can borrow and return for different toys...so don't bring too many with you!

Don't worry...it will be much easier than you are imagining!!

Well, once you get to the terminal, you will be checking the large suitcases. Your little one uses 13 diapers a day? You change him every two hours? Buy however many cases of diapers you need and put them in a collapsible duffel bag and check them with the large suitcases. Give the toddler a small bag/backpack and have her pack her toys in it and carry it in the stroller. Have DH wear a backpack instead of a carryon bag. Wear the baby and push your carryon/backpack in the stroller. EM

There may be something else going on with the diaper count, and some folks do just change them all the time. I try to be excessively prepared and I think we only took 20 per day with twins... and came back with plenty.

Diapers can take very little space by lining a large bag with them. Like socks, they fit into all the tiny spaces that otherwise aren't used.

You can also double tape a case of diapers and check them just like a bag. I would make sure to bring enough on board for several days, and as long as you're going somewhere there is a Walmart or such you can get them in an emergency.

CB didn't mention but many ports (all?) have porters in the luggage area and they will go with you all the way to the curb. Some ports actually have a short line if you're using a porter so they can get back and make more tips I would guess.

In any case, we managed well with the twins at every age so far. The services are there and many people are more than willing to help if you get in a tough situation. There are elevators everywhere that is necessary, etc.

I would take lots of extra diapers too! And definitely put the little one in the Ergo. It is invaluable on a cruise. I still used ours (toddler sized Tula actually) a good bit on our cruise when my son was 2.25. What port are you sailing from and how are you getting there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see from the other thread you are embarking in Boston. Are you driving? If so, have your husband drop you and the kids (baby in ergo, toddler in stroller, or use double stroller) and luggage off right by where the porters are. You tip the porters to take the suitcases while hubby parks the car and walks back with the carry on bag. Other option would be to leave just you and baby and suitcases, and hubby can bring toddler back in stroller. It is not a bad walk from the parking garage if you don't have a ton of stuff with you.

I see from the other thread you are embarking in Boston. Are you driving? If so, have your husband drop you and the kids (baby in ergo, toddler in stroller, or use double stroller) and luggage off right by where the porters are. You tip the porters to take the suitcases while hubby parks the car and walks back with the carry on bag. Other option would be to leave just you and baby and suitcases, and hubby can bring toddler back in stroller. It is not a bad walk from the parking garage if you don't have a ton of stuff with you.

Edit: Or, maybe easier for you to leave hubby with all the stuff and park walk back with baby in ergo and toddler in stroller? I have parked there several times and that would not be a hard thing for me to do.

Well, I usually change diapers before a nap and upon waking... and he takes 3 naps still, so there's six diapers right there. Then possibly a few more if there is a #2 while playing or if he decides he wants to stay up and party all night. :eek: So I figure 10 is a safe number to avoid having to buy them at 3x the rate on the ship or in port.

We are driving 8 hours to Boston and sailing from there. The hubby drop-off's a good tip - I didn't know he could drive up close to the porters - thank you!

Norwegian Gem has a toy exchange? How neat!

Use porters as soon as you get off your "to the port" transportation.

Put the little one in a baby carrier. The older one has to walk (as much as possible). Do you use a teddybear/backpack with strap (hate to call it a leash!) - that will help for the older child. The stroller then gets used to carry all the carry-ons.

I remember offering a treat (might have been chocolate!) to the kiddies for walking through embarkation so we could use the strollers to push all the carry on luggage when we sailed Holland America, so they were at least old enough to be "bribed" and to help out - but asking them to hold on to the stroller or to help push it. When we sailed Dream, we brought their nanny with us, so that gave us the advantage of an extra adult to help out.

Are you bring a double stroller or 2 umbrellas? Either way the baby carrier, will free up your hands to push/pull luggage/strollers.

Wont' be easy, but it can be done.

For coming home, are you with an airline that offers you luggage checkin from the cruise? I'm not sure what it is called but I'm pretty sure southwest offers this on most cruiselines. You check your bags the night before (by placing them in the hallway, and you don't see your bags again until you arrive at your home airport. If your cruise/airline does not offer this, as soon as you collect your bags at the terminal, hire a porter to get your bags onto your transportation.

When I cruised alone with my baby/toddler twins and was driving to the port, I always had tons of luggage, plus car seats sometimes. As others have posted, I would either pull up to unload EVERYTHING with the porters, except what I absolutely had to have until we got to the room. I could push the double stroller, pull a carry-on, have a backpack on and a diaper bag hanging on the stroller. I seem to remember one port where there was no drive-up unloading, in which case I found a porter (while holding a $20) and asked him to come to where I was parked to unload.

Same thing in reverse at the end of the cruise. I kept only what I absolutely had to have for the next day to get us through customs/immigration. In the luggage area there are porters who will help get everything out to the loading area.

Best,

Mia

Well, I usually change diapers before a nap and upon waking... and he takes 3 naps still, so there's six diapers right there. Then possibly a few more if there is a #2 while playing or if he decides he wants to stay up and party all night. :eek: So I figure 10 is a safe number to avoid having to buy them at 3x the rate on the ship or in port.

We are driving 8 hours to Boston and sailing from there. The hubby drop-off's a good tip - I didn't know he could drive up close to the porters - thank you!

Norwegian Gem has a toy exchange? How neat!

Are you sailing on the Norwegian Gem or the Norwegian Dawn? I am sailing Norwegian for the first time next year and the only ship I saw sailing from Boston was Dawn.

Not trying to be picky, but just trying to make sure that you are driving to the correct port.:)

Are you sailing on the Norwegian Gem or the Norwegian Dawn? I am sailing Norwegian for the first time next year and the only ship I saw sailing from Boston was Dawn.

Not trying to be picky, but just trying to make sure that you are driving to the correct port.:)

Oh my gosh - you're right!! I don't know why I kept saying "Gem." Yes, yes, it is "Dawn" indeed! ;)

Oh my gosh - you're right!! I don't know why I kept saying "Gem." Yes, yes, it is "Dawn" indeed! ;)

Figured I would ask just in case.;):D

Boston is an easy port to drop luggage and people. Driver just continues to the parking garage and will be back in about 10 minutes or so. Just be careful, as soon as you pop the trunk or hatch, a porter will just start pulling stuff out. Don't let them grab your carry on. I was waiting for my DH to get back from parking the car and I saw a group freaking out because the porter had taken the bag with the passports in it.:eek: The porters don't load the bags directly to the luggage carts that go on the ship, they bring the bags into the terminal to do that and this guy was gone. Not a great way to start a cruise.

Anyway, have your DH drop off the bags and then gauge the moods of the little ones. If the moods would work then to have all get out and wait until he gets back, do it, otherwise, you could all go to the garage and come back together. That way, each child would have a parent watching them and you wouldn't have to stress at the curb area waiting. If you do take the kids and he goes, the street in front of the terminal is one way and there is really only one way he can come back. If you walk down the street, there is a sidewalk, you can make a game of finding Daddy.

I would just be flexible and see how it goes.

Edit to add:

Here is a link to Massport. Might help with getting there and parking.

https://www.massport.com/port-of-boston/cruiseport-boston/

Edited by reallyitsmema

That is so so helpful - thank you! :)

Maybe I was overthinking it a bit, but I tend to do things "the hard way" and feel like one day I'll die from "trying to carry too many items at once," ha ha. I also have that classic suburbanite paranoia about unfamiliar places and not having anywhere to park.