Vista creams dock pulling out of Messina. Damage in the millions.

jacketwatch

That view really shows how close the ship came to actually hitting the marina. Close call. Other views I've seen aren't nearly as dramatic.

My view was even better from the bridge overhang on the port side.

The description is slightly inaccurate. The ship wasn't fully sideways as theyve suggested. The stern was further away, but the stern was turning into the marina. It makes no sense why it even did this manoeuvre. When we arrived, the ship physically turned inside the port so that it was facing the correct way for departure. When it did depart, there is no reason why it just didn't go through the very wide channel between the marina and the monument at the port entrance.

All it had to do after pushing off was go straight through the huge gap aft first. I didnt get it at the time either.

Time for Carnival to find a new company to provide a Harbor Pilot. They Harbor Pilot is there so that things like this don't happen.

The harbour pilot is there to advise the captain. The captain is in charge and responsible for the ship at all times.

The harbour pilot is there to advise the captain. The captain is in charge and responsible for the ship at all times.

^^^^ This

And Carnival does not have any choice in the pilot or options for alternatives.

I will certainly be interested to hear the outcome of the investigation. I know the "how it happened" what's unclear is the "why".

It was almost like showboating. Why would you go through the gap sideways when you can go straight through the channel in the exact same way you came in?

I wonder how long it will take to unfold.

News reports indicate Carnival is blaming "wind and currents".

I seem to recall a discussion with the captain of a different line who indicated that wind was about the top concern for any movement in and out of a port. He said if the wind was too much he just wouldn't make the maneuver.

Of course the bean-counters in the home office might not like that attitude if it disrupted schedules....

Time for Carnival to find a new company to provide a Harbor Pilot. The Harbor Pilot is there so that things like this don't happen.

In any given port, there is only one "company" to provide a harbor pilot, and in many cases that "company" is the government.

News reports indicate Carnival is blaming "wind and currents".

I seem to recall a discussion with the captain of a different line who indicated that wind was about the top concern for any movement in and out of a port. He said if the wind was too much he just wouldn't make the maneuver.

Of course the bean-counters in the home office might not like that attitude if it disrupted schedules....

Where did you hear about this report? It does tie in with CD Matts comment as I left the ship.... But I did think at the time he was joking.

There certainly wasn't any wind to speak of and if the captain wasn't able to control the vessel on what appeared to be perfect weather conditions, it begs the question what he would have done if it was windy and seas rough.

Edited by les37b