Price drop - so discouraged - please advise

manazca

If prices for each cabin are $800 less perhaps you can cancel lose your deposits and still come out ahead. Depending on where in the cancellation period you are. If you lose $500 per room you would still be up $300 for each cabin. Good luck Let us know how you make out

There is HOPE!!!

I called last night and was able to upgrade from my balcony to JS 7166 for $58.00!

The first time I called the rep quoted $198. I told her that was more than I saw on the website and she explained the GGG sale was for new bookings only. I was disappointed, declined and hung up. The more I thought about it the more I pumped myself up to call again. I did and the rep quoted $98 - definitely better so I jumped on it. She put me on hold for 2-3 mins came back and said she was able to do it for $58!!!! Woooooooooooo!!!!

So excited!!!!! 13 more days!!!!!

There is HOPE!!!

I called last night and was able to upgrade from my balcony to JS 7166 for $58.00!

The first time I called the rep quoted $198. I told her that was more than I saw on the website and she explained the GGG sale was for new bookings only. I was disappointed, declined and hung up. The more I thought about it the more I pumped myself up to call again. I did and the rep quoted $98 - definitely better so I jumped on it. She put me on hold for 2-3 mins came back and said she was able to do it for $58!!!! Woooooooooooo!!!!

Excellent outcome! Once again it pays to keep calling.:)

Thanks! That was my understanding, too. The TA will get back to me only tomorrow and I am not even sure the cabins won't be gone before then ... I guess my lesson here will be to not book with a TA anymore.

It is absolutely ridiculous to hold your TA responsible for this.

As others have said before, any outcome will depend on what kind of booking you have and when it was made. Enjoy the cruise!

Edited by Arzeena

You'll hear of examples from folks that got around the "new bookings only" policy with the GGG sale. It happens, but I have no idea what criteria is used to waive it.

Biker, who just got a price drop to the GGG sale price on an existing booking (to be fair it was outside final payment).

Well, you know of at least one criterion. ;)

I would try, if you can't, you can't. I think a TA would have more pull than you would in this case. I had my TA upgrade us once after final booking, and he saved me $250 pp by upgrading.

On the other hand, if the price of the cabin would have gone up and cost double what you paid for it, you'd be a happy camper. So it's all relative.

There is HOPE!!!

Good for you! I tried that yesterday on my booking & was told NO both times...not sure I want to give it a 3rd try as I'm only going from an inside to an OV...

There is HOPE!!!

Good for you!! I called twice and gave up while waiting ... Then called again, I am waiting to hear from the TA today. I will lose all OBC if any upgrade can be done. I am willing to pay a bit more but they cannot access my reservation, only the TA can. The cabin of my parents is currently half price of what I paid. When adding to the flights from Europe and the flights from Canada to the USA it does make a difference ...

It is absolutely ridiculous to hold your TA responsible for this.

As others have said before, any outcome will depend on what kind of booking you have and when it was made. Enjoy the cruise!

I already explained above that I am not holding my TA responsible as some might have inferred from my words (English is my 3rd language, sorry). I would have preferred to be able to deal directly with RC. It seems to fit my personality better, that's all. I guess when you have a TA who's looking a lot for you it is different but that is not my case. I do not blame him in anyway, simply I wish I could advocate and handle this myself. Getting that feeling of "at least I tried".

Thanks!

If prices for each cabin are $800 less perhaps you can cancel lose your deposits and still come out ahead. Depending on where in the cancellation period you are. If you lose $500 per room you would still be up $300 for each cabin. Good luck Let us know how you make out

For our cabin it is $800 less, for my parents' it is $1,500.

I asked the TA to confirm the cancellation fees but need to wait for his answers today. I believe I am at the 50% penalty. Plus OBC.

Thanks very much everyone!

... I guess my lesson here will be to not book with a TA anymore.

That really isn't the lesson. I promise you that even if you booked directly with the cruise line, it would be the same policy! For GGG sales, that is for new bookings only and no upgrade eligible, that is just how it is regardless of if you book with a TA or directly with Royal.

The lesson should really be not to bother checking prices after final payment. You were ok with the price you paid initially, and just go and enjoy your cruise! :D

Travel agents sometimes have more influence with the cruise line.

Exactly

Good for you!! I called twice and gave up while waiting ... Then called again, I am waiting to hear from the TA today. I will lose all OBC if any upgrade can be done. I am willing to pay a bit more but they cannot access my reservation, only the TA can. The cabin of my parents is currently half price of what I paid. When adding to the flights from Europe and the flights from Canada to the USA it does make a difference ...

who cannot access your reservation? Royal? They most certainly can BUT they won't talk to you about it because your travel agent "owns" the reservation.

I now understand what your comment meant OP - but - have faith in your TA - I am sure he/she will do the best they can for you

Good luck:)

Guest maddycat
There is HOPE!!!

Great! Have a wonderful cruise.

Hope it works for you so you can be near your parents. I also hope they have a marvelous time.

You said your parents speak a different language. Check with Guest Services, as they print the daily activities bulletin in several different languages. Also, check with the maitre d when you get on board to see if any of the wait staff would also speak your parent's language and maybe you could be seated in their section.

Thank you SO much, everyone! You've been a true support and I am grateful for that.

I got the upgrades (JS for my parents, ocean view with balcony for us). On the SAME deck. BUT I lost the OBC :(

I am nevertheless pleased, my parents being in a JS for their 50th anniversary and avoiding them a heart attack while having to go to the muster drill by themselves (non-English speakers). We'll cut on other things, it is what it is, glad it worked out this way. Thank you all! (I basically called RC a 3rd time and got the courage to ask for Resolution department as suggested by PP, I explained my situation and why it was SO important for me on so many levels, the person asked for the TA name and contacted them and offered this option).

Now back to planning (or rather working till vacation).

So grateful for this forum!

Hope it works for you so you can be near your parents. I also hope they have a marvelous time.

You said your parents speak a different language. Check with Guest Services, as they print the daily activities bulletin in several different languages. Also, check with the maitre d when you get on board to see if any of the wait staff would also speak your parent's language and maybe you could be seated in their section.

Thank you! I will!

We forced my parents to come, they don't want me to spend even one cent for them :mad: I am so looking forward to this reunion! It makes my heart sing!

Edited by manazca

Thank you SO much, everyone! You've been a true support and I am grateful for that.

I got the upgrades (JS for my parents, ocean view with balcony for us). On the SAME deck. BUT I lost the OBC :(

I am nevertheless pleased, my parents being in a JS for their 50th anniversary and avoiding them a heart attack while having to go to the muster drill by themselves (non-English speakers). We'll cut on other things, it is what it is, glad it worked out this way. Thank you all! (I basically called RC a 3rd time and got the courage to ask for Resolution department as suggested by PP, I explained my situation and why it was SO important for me on so many levels, the person asked for the TA name and contacted them and offered this option).

Now back to planning (or rather working till vacation).

So grateful for this forum!

Nice of royal to contact your TA on your behalf

Advice for the future: never look at prices after the final payment! If they will let you upgrade, great but as a final sale, new bookings only deal they may not. Just be happy that if the prices had gone up they don't charge you more.

This 100%. Never look after you paid in full!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums