Why is a drinks package "convenient"?

Cruiserbillyboo

Hi;

This is a general question, not specific to any line, but it would apply to almost any line. I see many promotions for various "drinks packages" and one of the usually mentioned advantages is that this is "convenient".

Why is it "convenient"?

Whether you have a package or not, you still have to order your drinks. They bring the drinks and you still have to sign some little piece of paper, package or not. Individually ordered drinks (if you don't have a "package") all go on your room tab anyway, which you pay all together one time at the end of the cruise, along with any other charges (shore excursions, gratuities, other purchases, etc....) you may have incurred.

One total inclusive bill at the end for everything.

So why is the drinks package "for your convenience"?

Poor phraseology perhaps, but It's the "convenience" of not having to think of the cost when deciding whether to have one more drink.

And, I guess, of not having to match the invoice with all the drinks tabs in case you've been charged something in error - rare, but it happens.

JB :)

There is nothing convenient about it. Beverage packages are a big money maker for the cruise lines, so they want to convince you that it's convenient to co-hoarse you into buying it. It's just a marketing tactic to sway you. We have never bought a beverage package simply for the fact that they are way too expensive and we would never come close to drinking that much in a week. We are not light drinkers on vaca either, but we would still never come close to what they charge.

So, if you're thinking about purchasing one only out of convenience, think long and hard before you buy. :)

Twant to convince you that it's convenient to co-hoarse you into buying it.
I believe the word you are looking for is coerce.

Back to the original question. A beverage package may or may not be a good deal depending on your drinking habits. There is usually a break even point so you need to compare your habits to the per day cost and figure out if you would be better off going pay as you go or the flat rate all you can drink.

There is a pretty good write up about the different offerings here, this may be out of date but it gives you a rough idea of what you should be comparing.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1470

Edited by nolatravelgirl

I believe the word you are looking for is coerce.
:D

To the OP's question as well...as others have said it all depends on your drinking habits. For me, not being a big drinker, the package with alcohol makes no sense at all.. But, i can get my moneys worth out of a soda package with a soda for lunch, dinner and a few here and there during the day/evening. (As i think it only takes 5-6 per day to even out).

We consider it convenient because we usually cruise with friends. Before the drinks packages, we would have to consider who bought which round, how many rounds each person/couple was buying, etc. We'd compare our bills a few days in and for some reason, there was always one couple who had a MUCH lower bill than the rest.

So for us it's convenient because...while you cannot usually purchase more than one drink on a card at a time, the waiters had no problem bringing us full "rounds" of drinks and putting them on one card each time, making the rounds through the group. We've also had the drink packages on NCL and RCCL and those are unlimited, so there was no issues.

WE all know what we are spending up front and there is none of the "we will buy the next round" and never do issues.

I always purchase the soda package. If you drink more than 3 a day you're ahead. Seeing that I have a soda for every meal (even breakfast) and at least 3 more per day, I come out OK.

Plus after the first day, a soda was always waiting for me as I arrived at the table for dinner. If it started getting low, a refill was on its way.

Don

For me it is a combo. I liked the convenience, I liked not worrying about the cost and I liked walking up to a bar and having a drink sitting there for me.

I can have my shot of Kahlua in my morning coffee. I can have a drink when we come back from our excursion - or around the ship when it is a sea day. I can have a drink or two at dinner and I can have my just before bed drink. I've now reached my capacity. Now anything and everything I drink is "on the house". I like a rather stiff drink so it can take a few fills to reach that stiff part.

The convenience is walking back on the ship after a long day, pass by the bar on the way to your cabin, look tired and have the bartender hand you your favorite drink.

Also, it is a tasting frenzy. You can try each and every drink on the list. Yup, all of them. Like it, great. Don't like it. Order something new. It is a great opportunity to try new drinks that you might no otherwise sample. Who is going to pay $10 for a martini and find out you don't like the flavor? This way you can.

I also bought the soda package for my grandson. He loved being able to walk up to the bar and order his favorite, a Shirley Temple. His sister got a complimentary glass of cherries.

Hi;

This is a general question, not specific to any line, but it would apply to almost any line. I see many promotions for various "drinks packages" and one of the usually mentioned advantages is that this is "convenient".

Why is it "convenient"?

Whether you have a package or not, you still have to order your drinks. They bring the drinks and you still have to sign some little piece of paper, package or not. Individually ordered drinks (if you don't have a "package") all go on your room tab anyway, which you pay all together one time at the end of the cruise, along with any other charges (shore excursions, gratuities, other purchases, etc....) you may have incurred.

One total inclusive bill at the end for everything.

So why is the drinks package "for your convenience"?

I'd say convenient in a few ways

1. Try something new, don't like it, nothing lost

2. Should I leave having a the drink for an hour or so, might save one drink a day. No need to worry

3. At the end of the cruise you know exactly what you'll be paying for drinks, makes budgeting easy.

4. Not all lines make you sign if you have the package (to me the least of the reasons).

Taking our college-aged kids. . .convenient because I don't have to argue with them about how much they are drinking nor stress over what their final bar bill will be. I've paid in advance and won't be wondering how high our tab would be running.