Possible Hurricane Karl In The Making

torchd

This tropical depression started a couple of days ago off the coast of Africa and was predicted to travel off to the NW. Looks like the projected path has shifted and is traveling more westerly towards Leeward Islands.

This tropical storm is not expected to have rapid intensification as it travels the less favorable conditions across the Atlantic.....

It's peak hurricane season, this is not unusual.

It's not even worth paying attention to until it's much closer.

Hurricane season is over with towards the very end of September.

It's still early, yes, but looks to be moving westward to our ports of call....

Not sure where your getting your information, but hurricane season runs from June 1 to December 1. Believe me, after living in Florida for 10 years, I know some pretty nasty storms can hit in November. August, September and October are the peak months, so were really in the middle now.

This tropical depression started a couple of days ago off the coast of Africa and was predicted to travel off to the NW. Looks like the projected path has shifted and is traveling more westerly towards Leeward Islands.

This is more or less the normal path for tropical storms and hurricanes.... a TD forms off the west coast of Africa and moves westward toward the Caribbean/North America/North Atlantic. Nothing unusual, and most of the time they don't evolve into anything threatening. No need to alarm people this far out.

Wrong. Hurricane season doesn't end til November 30. August and Sept are considered the peak months, but October can still yield some big storms. And the storms don't always adhere to the official calendar. In 2016 the first named storm was in mid-January, and the 2nd arrived at the end of May. (season officially doesn't start til June 1)

Hurricane season doesn't end til November 30. August and Sept are considered the peak months, but October can still yield some big storms. And the storms don't always adhere to the official calendar. In 2016 the first named storm was in mid-January, and the 2nd arrived at the end of May. (season officially doesn't start til June 1)

To continue on these great points Hurricane Sandy formed in the third week of October in 2012.

Don't tell that to the people on the Jersey coast from Sandy the other year.

I thought it was Super Storm Sandy :confused:

It was a hurricane for a while, but by the time it hit shore it was no longer a hurricane. It was still a very large storm though, and former hurricane Sandy wasn't sexy enough, so they dubbed it Super Storm Sandy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mark_K

I thought it was Super Storm Sandy :confused:

"Super Storm" is Weather Channel hype.

I don't believe that the affected people cared very much about the terminology though.

Sandy hit on October 29, 2012. I remember it well because we were on the Explorer cruise that sailed through it. Our problems were trivial compared to those affected on land. (rough seas and a flooded car). On the good side, we did miss the multi day power outage back home.

We are undeterred though. We're sailing on Anthem, departing October 29. We're not driving to the pier this time though.

I don't believe that the affected people cared very much about the terminology though.

Sandy hit on October 29, 2012. I remember it well because we were on the Explorer cruise that sailed through it. Our problems were trivial compared to those affected on land. (rough seas and a flooded car). On the good side, we did miss the multi day power outage back home.

We are undeterred though. We're sailing on Anthem, departing October 29. We're not driving to the pier this time though.

Not if we don't return the ship to you. :eek: (we are SUPPOSED to get off on the 29th) Lol

To continue on these great points Hurricane Sandy formed in the third week of October in 2012.

Hugo in '89 was a mid October storm - I'm still upset about that one 'cause I didn't get to go to Charleston. (Probably a good thing as 3 days after that hurricane wasn't a good time to visit!) I was in Greensboro, NC, where Hugo was just a tropical storm when it came through - it still scared this Kansan pretty good. We'll get weather like that for an hour or two, but that was a solid 12 hours of nasty winds, rain, and lightening, definitely no bueno!

We had three experiences with Hurricane Sandy and like you, thankfully they were not the same extent that those on land had.

We were on Allure and we skipped Falmouth to avoid her as she headed to the port area. Captain Johnny said we shall skip the port, and I was happy we did. Our second brush with her was coming up the coast of Florida on the last night of the cruise. We had 20-30 ft seas from the outer edge of the storm. Our last experience was after we got home to Southwestern Ontario and the remnants of the storm rained down on us for a couple of days.

She was like an EX we could not get rid of for that week. But compared to others, we were blessed that it really had no impact on our lives.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I am more curious than concerned at this point. I am sailing on Freedom of the Seas this weekend headed to St. Thomas and St Martin next Wednesday and Thursday....or that's where I think I'm headed anyway! We'll see!

To me, it doesn't really matter where we go! A week of no cooking, cleaning or working awaits!

Hugo in '89 was a mid October storm - I'm still upset about that one 'cause I didn't get to go to Charleston. (Probably a good thing as 3 days after that hurricane wasn't a good time to visit!) I was in Greensboro, NC, where Hugo was just a tropical storm when it came through - it still scared this Kansan pretty good. We'll get weather like that for an hour or two, but that was a solid 12 hours of nasty winds, rain, and lightening, definitely no bueno!

Hugo was a September storm. I know this because I reported to boot camp at Parris Island on 9/26/89. and I had to fly into Savannah rather than Charleston due to the damage from Hugo.

Edited by VASOXFANN

Hugo was an end of September storm. I know this because I reported to boot camp at Parris Island on 9/26/89. and I had to fly into Savannah rather than Charleston due to the damage from Hugo.

You're right - my wife and I normally take vacations in October, but we went early that year because we had my Grandmother with us... She was on the phone to my uncle in Dallas all night because of that storm.

I can still remember how warm and still it was in Lumberton two days after the storm, and how all of the trees and road signs were snapped off four or five feet from ground level all through South Carolina as we drove on I-95.

Thank you for your service - it had to be interesting going through boot camp during that time period!

You're right - my wife and I normally take vacations in October, but we went early that year because we had my Grandmother with us... She was on the phone to my uncle in Dallas all night because of that storm.

I can still remember how warm and still it was in Lumberton two days after the storm, and how all of the trees and road signs were snapped off four or five feet from ground level all through South Carolina as we drove on I-95.

Thank you for your service - it had to be interesting going through boot camp during that time period!

You're very welcome.

I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, so I hope this doesn't come across that way...it was Marine boot camp. I really didn't give it much thought once I arrived :eek: LOL. All I do remember is that we were on a bus from Savannah after dark, so we didn't see much.

I guarantee you had a much better time than I did :)

Edited by VASOXFANN

I was Master (Captain) of a large luxury fishing boat in October 91, we were docked at Walkers Cay, after a week of great fishing. While we were cleaning the boat, I happened to pickup a broadcast on the SSB radio about this storm building fast. We had calm seas for the week and the forecast for weather on our return had been forecast as good. After giving it some thought, we decided to go back early, in an attempt to beat the storm as all of us had to return to work on a Monday. We had planned to return on Sunday.

We just made it to PC, before the winds kicked up. Within a few hours, we had winds at PC gusting to 60kts. Seas were less than 3 ft making the run back from Walkers Cay, and across the stream (Gulf Stream). Within hours after out return, the large weather buoy was reporting high seas, 15+ ft.

Mother nature can come up and get you if you are not careful. Those that chose not to return early from Walkers Cay, were stuck there for another week before they could make it across the stream safely.

This big storm was part of a dead hurricane who reformed with two other weather systems to make the Perfect Storm and was not forecasted. This storm was late October, early November, 1991.

Edited by troykahack