How much more do I need?

wishfulone

We're booked on our first cruise with Royal Caribbean and everything I read says I need to pay out. Posts I've read say you even have to pay for certain meals in the MDR. That's got to be wrong. Surely all meals in the MDR are free? Are there any meals included in the cost of your cruise? And do you have to pay for soap in your cabin?

We're booked on our first cruise with Royal Caribbean and everything I read says I need to pay out. Posts I've read say you even have to pay for certain meals in the MDR. That's got to be wrong. Surely all meals in the MDR are free? Are there any meals included in the cost of your cruise? And do you have to pay for soap in your cabin?

All meals are free in the dining room. I see you are going on the Oasis. There are many free venues for all of your meals. I don't know where you read this....there ARE specialty dining areas, just like all ships that have a fee, like Giovanni's...but for the most part, everything is included...and NO you do not pay for soap.:)

All meals are free in the dining room. I see you are going on the Oasis. There are many free venues for all of your meals. I don't know where you read this....there ARE specialty dining areas, just like all ships that have a fee, like Giovanni's...but for the most part, everything is included...and NO you do not pay for soap.:)

There's a current thread - review of a cruise - the OP said they paid $20 to have lobster in the MDR.

There's a current thread - review of a cruise - the OP said they paid $20 to have lobster in the MDR.

Oh, ok...now I know what you are talking about. There are a couple of options on the MDR menu, that you may order from "Chops" (a specialty venue). It is not the normal lobster tail on the regular menu. It is bigger, hence the up charge. I believe they also have a specialty Filet Mignon for an up charge also. Give me a second and I will post the link for those items.

I think you are confusing the extra charge in the MDR if you get the nice steak or the extra lobster-tail on a non - lobster day....:D

If you stick with the salad and the meatballs in the MDR - all is free!:p

In other words the MDR is not dining room quality food unless you pay for it. At that rate I can see last RC cruise written in huge letters before we even get on board.

We're just so over RC before we even board the Oasis. There's so many negatives around it and RC in general. We'll just go enjoy the cruise we've booked, pay what it costs, and forget about sailing with RC ever again.

It is too late to cancel?

We're just so over RC before we even board the Oasis. There's so many negatives around it and RC in general. We'll just go enjoy the cruise we've booked, pay what it costs, and forget about sailing with RC ever again.

That really is too bad you feel that way. Negative way to start a vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCCL is not the only line that has a selection of paid "options" on the MDR menu- yes a larger lobster tail every night as opposed to just on the one night(which at least they still offer several lines have stopped that night altogether), a larger steak and a filet mignon. Those aren't new an aren't new to just RCCL.

We were on board in October and will get back on board in October, we could have easily gotten away with no extra charges on board had we wanted to. Yes we bought the drink package , but would have had to do that on any line. We bought pictures and did dinner at Giovanni's one night and some other random stuff because we were trying to use up on board credit. There are plenty of complimentary options

MDR (there's plenty of options with out buying one of the few upgrades), windjammer, wipe out, Sorrentos, park cafe, cafe promenade (food not drinks without a package , on carnival the food at their coffee stand is a pay option), solarium (breakfast and lunch- rumor is starting 2 weeks ago dinner is comp as well), Boardwalk dog, Johnny Rockets at breakfast.

Yes there are more paid options on board than most other ships - then again what's NCCl snd Carnivals biggest a ships 160k vs 229k with 6,200 passengers? The small carnival we were on in March still had two paid restaurants. Oasis has Sabor, vintages, chops, 150, Izumi, Giovanni's, Johnny Rockets at lunch and dinner, Chefs table and jury is out on Solarium. They don't pressure you are try to get you to purchase, we walked in and looked around each one aside from chefs table and were told to let them know if we had any questions.

Otherwise you pay for alcohol, shopping, spa visits, some of the classes at the gym, martini clinic (we paid for it on carnival as well), photos- pretty much all the same things you pay for on any cruise line.

I'm trying to figure out how any of this is a surprise? Even before our first Oasis trip we knew what were things we'd be paying for and they aren't any different than any other line. We knew there'd be upgrade items at the MDR because there are on other lines we've traveled as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not really. We'll enjoy the cruise to the upmost but if everything costs big time we just won't sail with Royal Caribbean again.

I'm still trying to figure out what costs big time that doesn't on other lines? Yes there are more paid dining options- OPTIONS, there are also more complimentary options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What on earth are you talking about??? Either someone has been lying to you, or you're just determined to hate this cruise.

My son and I just cruised on Oasis a couple weeks ago. The only charges we paid were the daily "gratuities" fee charged to our account and the soda package that I paid for in advance.

I ate in the MDR every night, and on Lobster Night we each had a lobster tail AND a prime rib. No charge.

We didn't eat in Johnny Rockets, which has a charge, and we didn't eat in any of the other specialty restaurants, but we certainly didn't want for things to eat!

Park Cafe, Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade, Boardwalk Dogs, Windjammer buffet, Main Dining Room... PLENTY of free food available every day!

But if you're bound and determined to have a crappy time, by all means, continue to believe the lies and lock yourself in your room for the whole week. :rolleyes:

What on earth are you talking about??? Either someone has been lying to you, or you're just determined to hate this cruise.

My son and I just cruised on Oasis a couple weeks ago. The only charges we paid were the daily "gratuities" fee charged to our account and the soda package that I paid for in advance.

I ate in the MDR every night, and on Lobster Night we each had a lobster tail AND a prime rib. No charge.

We didn't eat in Johnny Rockets, which has a charge, and we didn't eat in any of the other specialty restaurants, but we certainly didn't want for things to eat!

Park Cafe, Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade, Boardwalk Dogs, Windjammer buffet, Main Dining Room... PLENTY of free food available every day!

But if you're bound and determined to have a crappy time, by all means, continue to believe the lies and lock yourself in your room for the whole week. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that but on this thread

Posted by aubreyc1988

The lobster fee in the MDR was 20.00 I believe, for a whole lobster, which is still a better option to me than going to Chops

.and confirmed by ERY it says there are items you have to pay for.

Thanks for that but on this thread .and confirmed by ERY it says there are items you have to pay for.

There are optional items for additional cost. However, as already mentioned, there is lobster one night on the MDR menu for no extra charge.

It will cost you the same onboard as it did on your Princess and NCL cruises. You will be very pleased with the meals in the MDR. But, just like on the other lines, if you want the specialty restaurants, you have to pay for them.

What you are seeing on the MDR menu are a few items that are brought in from the specialty restaurants so people can pay a little extra for them, without having to leave the MDR. It's a nice option for those few that choose to take advantage of that.

We have also been on Princess and NCL, and we end up spending the same, no matter what ship we are on. You'll love the Oasis, and will end up putting RCCL into your cruise "rotation" like us! 😀

Thanks for that but on this thread .and confirmed by ERY it says there are items you have to pay for.

I sent you the MDR menu. (YOU ARE WELCOME, BY THE WAY) Did you not read it? Do you refuse to understand? The no fee tails as always are on the menu. The WHOLE lobster is an up charge. There has NEVER been a free Whole Lobster on the menu. (with ANY cruise line that I know of) Why are you finding this so difficult to understand? I tried to help you by explaining every thing...and I know this is not your first cruise... You read the Oasis cruise review and some one mentioned the up charge for a whole lobster and you are in a tizzy over this? Do you know something that the millions of us other cruisers do not know? Is there a cruise line that you frequent that serves them??????? I give up. I am just glad I am not your table mate on this cruise and feel bad for anyone that is. We are all here telling you how FABULOUS this ship is and how many FREE venues there are and you are not even listening . You are too hung up on an up charge. Good Luck to you and your family. DONE

Edited by champagne123
CCCCCfffff

I sent you the MDR menu. (YOU ARE WELCOME, BY THE WAY) Did you not read it? Do you refuse to understand? The no fee tails as always are on the menu. The WHOLE lobster is an up charge. There has NEVER been a free Whole Lobster on the menu. (with ANY cruise line that I know of) Why are you finding this so difficult to understand? I tried to help you by explaining every thing...and I know this is not your first cruise... You read the Oasis cruise review and some one mentioned the up charge for a whole lobster and you are in a tizzy over this? Do you know something that the millions of us other cruisers do not know? Is there a cruise line that you frequent that serves them??????? I give up. I am just glad I am not your table mate on this cruise and feel bad for anyone that is. We are all here telling you how FABULOUS this ship is and how many FREE venues there are and you are not even listening . You are too hung up on an up charge. Good Luck to you and your family. DONE

Oh my Gosh!