How much more do I need?

wishfulone

Original post from the OP you're all so busy criticising. Lobster isn't really important to someone who comes from Australia.

Most folks here are helpful, but don't be surprised when it seems like the advice is not taken that folks tend to get......how shall I put it.......critical.:cool:

Except for the gratuities, there is nothing extra you have to pay for. If you chose to eat in a speciality restaurant or buy alcoholic or soda beverages or buy souvenirs you pay extra otherwise no up charge. Most all cruise lines have the same policies unless you go very up scale to azamara and there it is all inclusive but u pay for that up front.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP, you sound like you are from my hometown in PA. So glad I escaped to FL. Have sailed Allure and it was awesome. Sailing Oasis in December and it will be awesome.

Food on RCCL is not as good as on Celebrity but much better than NCL. Food was good on Princess, but food is only a small part of my cruise. I just love to relax and enjoy the ocean. By the way, the entertainment on Oasis is outstanding as on all RCCL ships we have sailed. Entertainment on Celebrity not so good. Have never paid a charge for entertainment....FREE, FREE, FREE

Pack your suitcase and relax and enjoy your new esperience on the Oasis. Happy Sails to You.

Not really. We'll enjoy the cruise to the upmost but if everything costs big time we just won't sail with Royal Caribbean again.

What else is going to cost you big time? You can easily go on a cruise and spend no extra money (other than the daily gratuities unless you paid those in advance). There are tons of free food options, the room service is free except for 5 hours in the middle of the night). There will be lots of things you CAN spend more money on, but you certainly don't have to. You sound convinced that your cruise is going to be awful and cost you tons more money but really have nothing to back that up.

Why did you wait until after you couldn't get a refund to research your trip? Kind of seems like you're just trying to bait people into arguing with you [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In other words the MDR is not dining room quality food unless you pay for it. At that rate I can see last RC cruise written in huge letters before we even get on board.

If that is your mindset when you board...it will be a long week and your last RC cruise for sure.

OP, you sound like you are from my hometown in PA. So glad I escaped to FL. Have sailed Allure and it was awesome. Sailing Oasis in December and it will be awesome.

Food on RCCL is not as good as on Celebrity but much better than NCL. Food was good on Princess, but food is only a small part of my cruise. I just love to relax and enjoy the ocean. By the way, the entertainment on Oasis is outstanding as on all RCCL ships we have sailed. Entertainment on Celebrity not so good. Have never paid a charge for entertainment....FREE, FREE, FREE

Pack your suitcase and relax and enjoy your new esperience on the Oasis. Happy Sails to You.

What does this even mean???:confused: The OP is from Australia.

You're all so ready to jump in. My 'question' was about the MDR. All your negative criticism is not helpful to anyone.

And people are telling you over and over that any upcharge is an option. I've never paid anything extra for the MDR.

We buy Ben&Jerrys ice cream onboard because my family cannot have the free ice cream or soft serve because of ingredient issues. And we like Ben&Jerrys. So we pay about $50 for the entire week and DS gets his dessert (which get bigger each evening...by the end if our first time in freedom they were packing 7 scoops into his milkshake) and DH and I get a few comes and we are happy.

I love that that ice cream is available and I'm perfectly happy to increase my costs for it.

I buy the Evian water package because my system cannot tolerate ship water (on any ship/line I've been on) and I like Evian.

I pay for beer and wine and we buy lattes because i like beer/wine and DH and I loved iced lattes.

There's no mainstream line I know of that gives those things out unless you're paying for concierge level. And when we've done concierge on Disney cruise line, frankly, their espresso machine isn't very good IMO, and it's cappuccinos not lattes, which aren't my fave. And concierge isn't worth "free" espresso and Evians lol.

I don't know what YOU are seeing that you feel you are going to "have to" pay for. Perhaps you could be more specific about what exactly you are worried about, instead of being vague and freaking out over vague things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. We'll enjoy the cruise to the upmost but if everything costs big time we just won't sail with Royal Caribbean again.

Wow! You are really jumping to some major conclusions. The Cruise Critic is a great source of information for those unfamiliar with cruising, but to the very newcomer, these boards can sometimes be a little misleading if you misinterpret someone's "off" sense of humor. Relax - take a deep breath - and trust me when I tell you that you WILL enjoy your cruise - you will not have to pay for "everything". Soap? Seriously? Who the heck said you had to pay for soap??? Clearly, they either have never set foot on a cruise ship themselves, or they pulled a major practical joke on you.

...and confirmed by ERY it says there are items you have to pay for.

You "have to" pay IF that's what you want. But you don't have to order it.

I don't. Being vegetarian means I don't "have to" pay for lobster or special cuts of cow.

You only pay if you want that.

If I'm not mistaken the steak that you pay $20 for in MDR are the choice cuts that they serve in Chops which is about $40 cover. MDR is free overall. There are SEVERAL free dining options on RC ships and they have way more eatery options than some other lines, including a nice free deli in Central Park (Oasis class), and several places that charge cover for dinner are free for lunch and maybe breakfast.

Really to judge RC for dining costs especially before even boarding is a BIG mistake! The 'problems' that we had on Oasis and Allure for example were just deciding where to eat from one meal to the next. From what I've seen all of the bigger RC ships have 25+ food venues, some just desserts or dogs, but believe me you can go a week without spending a penny and never go hungry. To me dining is one of the big PLUSES for RC compared to most others.

Edited by cruziJenn

If I'm not mistaken the steak that you pay $20 for in MDR are the choice cuts that they serve in Chops which is about $40 cover.

If nothing else is learned by general reading public at least they can get this - you can have the Chops food (steak, lobster) for 1/2 price in the MDR.

In other words the MDR is not dining room quality food unless you pay for it. At that rate I can see last RC cruise written in huge letters before we even get on board.

like buying a brand new car, they have options but you have to pay. Enhancement? sure. Quality? nothing changed.

If nothing else is learned by general reading public at least they can get this - you can have the Chops food (steak, lobster) for 1/2 price in the MDR.

Partially correct. In the case of the steak, it is merely the Chops meat, it is still prepared in the MDR galley :(

And I don't think they have the sauces and I know you don't get the sides. :mad:

I've never ordered the Lobster, and I won't order the steak again.

Chops cost more for a reason. ;)

OK, if someone already said this, forgive me, but I only read pages 1 and 4 of this thread, and wanted to make the following point.

You often hear people complain about how "in the good old days" there were no upcharges. That may be true. But on my first cruise 20 years ago (on Monarch, by the way), you could have lobster on lobster night and steak on steak night, period. Now, you can have lobster on lobster night, steak on steak night -- AND ,FOR AN EXTRA CHARGE, LOBSTER OR STEAK EVERY NIGHT. I don't see that as taking away, or charging for, anything that was available before. Rather, it's is making a NEW option that was not previously offered available and charging for that convenience. You can argue whether RCCL should be willing to make that option available for no charge, but I don't think you can legitimately argue that they have "downgraded" or "lessened" the traditional offerings on the ship.