How much more do I need?

wishfulone

Oasis is just like any other RCI ship...there are included items, which are fine for most folks, and "specialty" items....it's just that Oasis has MORE "specialty" venues than the smaller ships. You are under NO obligation to buy anything you don't want to...

Quote:

Posted by aubreyc1988

The lobster fee in the MDR was 20.00 I believe, for a whole lobster, which is still a better option to me than going to Chops"

Thanks for that but on this thread .and confirmed by ERY it says there are items you have to pay for.

I think you are confusing two things. There has always been the one night on every cruise (usually a formal night) when they serve lobster tails (the small ones) in the MDR and you can have as many as you like and they are all free. That is still true.

In addition:

You can order a whole Maine lobster from Chops - the specialty fee based OPTIONAL restaurant which is $39 if you go to Chops. This choice is available every night

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

It's a rare gem that complains about a cruise before it even happens. Why don't you save your judgements for after completion of your cruise. I would be interested in reading your thoughts AFTERWARD. Relax, enjoy yourself and don't get so hung up on the extras that are not required, nor are they essential for enjoyment.

Thanks for that but on this thread .and confirmed by ERY it says there are items you have to pay for.

You might want to reconsider that NCL cruise... I love NCL, but I think they charge for more than RCCL (no free lobster ever). How many cruises have you been on?

In other words the MDR is not dining room quality food unless you pay for it. At that rate I can see last RC cruise written in huge letters before we even get on board.

Pretend you were on a Princess cruise and they gave you the option of having their very good standard dining room steak or, if you chose to, you could pay extra and get the filet from the Crown Grill. That's basically what RCI does.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like anything else in life, there are things that are 'free' because they are included. There are also things that cost money which are extra.

My personal opinion about the 'free' lobster tail is that it is nothing close to the fresh lobster we get here in New England. To me it is kind of like ordering the included steak in the MDR and attempting to compare it to a great steakhouse in the Midwest part of the country or Texas. There is no comparison.

There might be a few high end cruise lines that serve all the very high quality free food you want, but you will pay a lot more money for that cruise.

On my last Royal cruise I missed the lobster on the menu on formal night :eek: do you have to asked for it. is it not on the menu they hand you? or did our waiter not give us a separate menu offering this. Just about to cruise again and I don't want to miss it a second time :confused:. Not that it would make or break my cruise lol

On my last Royal cruise I missed the lobster on the menu on formal night :eek: do you have to asked for it. is it not on the menu they hand you? or did our waiter not give us a separate menu offering this. Just about to cruise again and I don't want to miss it a second time :confused:. Not that it would make or break my cruise lol

It's on the menu. Second formal night on the 7 day cruises. Typically only in the US or Caribbean cruises. I think it's called Fisherman's Platter

It's on the menu that evening, (adding photo) it's right above the risotto towards the bottom of the page on the second formal night [emoji4]IMG_1473943199.748263.jpg.b6e65af36b02f50fd74e6ef3b91b10fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a link to the new MDR menu http://www.******************.com/2016/07/07/spotted-new-main-dining-room-menu-royal-caribbeans-oasis-of-the-seas#photosTop0

Have fun in your cruise!

My last cruise was the med so is the next one - so I take it the lobster is off then - strange as they are pretty abundant here and in other eu places too.

I live on the shore line and some divers just come back up with arm fulls and the local fishermen cages are only 100 feet away from my house.

My last cruise was the med so is the next one - so I take it the lobster is off then - strange as they are pretty abundant here and in other eu places too.

I live on the shore line and some divers just come back up with arm fulls and the local fishermen cages are only 100 feet away from my house.

Sorry fragilek, there was was so much talk about Oasis early in I thought you were on oasis. [emoji20]

We're booked on our first cruise with Royal Caribbean and everything I read says I need to pay out. Posts I've read say you even have to pay for certain meals in the MDR. That's got to be wrong. Surely all meals in the MDR are free?

Original post from the OP you're all so busy criticising. Lobster isn't really important to someone who comes from Australia.

Edited by wishfulone

Original post from the OP you're all so busy criticising. Lobster isn't really important to someone who comes from Australia.

Just change all the "lobster" to "steak". There.

I've only ever paid on board for something I wanted, never needed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Complimentary dining options on Oasis: MDR (with exception of 3 or 4 upgrade selections) link to current menu http://www.******************.com/2016/07/07/spotted-new-main-dining-room-menu-royal-caribbeans-oasis-of-the-seas#photosTop0

Windjammer, wipe out cafe, Sorrentos, Boardwalk doghouse, Cafe Promenade, Park Cafe, Johnny Rockets at breakfast, solarium bistro (again has been breakfast and lunch included until two weeks ago when it's been reported they added the dinner as a complimentary option.) Room service until midnight.

There are plenty of complimentary options available, American Icon had a very good sea day breakfast and lunch. We dined in the MDR 6 nights and enjoyed it, without ordering off the upgrade items. Park Cafe was nice, food was good. I cannot speak for the buffet food as we didn't eat there.

If you choose not to spend any more on dining on board you absolutely don't have to, we only do to use up on board credit.

Yes, there are meals you have to pay for, if you choose but there are plenty of options should you not want to.

I'm sorry if you find that critical , simply trying to provide information .

Hi there, I am also from Australia and have been on Oasis. Your concerns are baseless and I'm sure you will have an excellent time unless you are determined not to.

Hi there, I am also from Australia and have been on Oasis. Your concerns are baseless and I'm sure you will have an excellent time unless you are determined not to.

You're all so ready to jump in. My 'question' was about the MDR. All your negative criticism is not helpful to anyone.

Thanks for that but on this thread

and confirmed by ERY it says there are items you have to pay for.

As others have said in this thread and shown on the menus linked to there are plenty of included no extra cost entrée options in the MDR, at least nine per night, so you won't have to go hungry if you don't want any extra cost charged to your onboard account.. :confused:

You're all so ready to jump in. My 'question' was about the MDR. All your negative criticism is not helpful to anyone.

Your question has been answered multiple times, my post didn't criticise you but it seems you want to take offence.

I think you're sorely mistaken . You do not HAVE to pay for anything. Its your cruise. If you CHOOSE to pay for the lobster, than you may. It is a whole lobster (1.5-ish pounds). It is available every evening in the main dining room, as is a filet from Chops for a fee. Everything else, with the exception of alcohol, in the dining room is free. On the 2nd formal night, lobster TAILS are all you can eat and are complementary.

Other venues/activities with a fee: Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, Johnny Rockets, Sabor, Giovannis, Chops, 150 Central Park, Candy Shop, Arcade, Starbucks, bars (if you want to drink), on-board shopping, spa, a few daily activities (most of the fee-based activities include either alcohol/food or gambling), art auctions, photo gallery, shore excursions

Venues/activities without a fee: Rock wall, zip line, pools, shows (at least one per night, but often 2), Park Cafe, Hot dog stand, Sorrentos (pizza), Main Dining Room (with the exceptions mentioned above), buffet, soft-serve ice cream stations, kids club, ice skating, Cafe Promenade (sandwiches), Blaze night club, comedy club, fitness center, sports courts, putt putt golf, Flowrider, most daily activities (look here or google for previous daily schedules)

I've probably forgotten some things. As you can see - there is PLENTY to do at absolutely no cost. Many people spend very little on board. The good news is, how much you spend is absolutely up to you. This is the same of ALL cruise lines, even Azamara, Cunard, and other luxury lines. Enjoy your cruise.

We're just so over RC before we even board the Oasis. There's so many negatives around it and RC in general. We'll just go enjoy the cruise we've booked, pay what it costs, and forget about sailing with RC ever again.

That really isn't the way to start a cruise. If you go with that mindset then you will surely not have a good time, and be frumping around the entire cruise. I suggest that you remove that thought and go in with a clear and open mind. I honestly think that you will be completely blown away, and quite possibly RC might become your favorite cruise line. Trust me, it's the little touches that make the biggest impact.

The food in the MDR is perfectly fine, and in my opinion better than what you find on other cruise lines. There is a specialty steak and lobster tail that you CAN choose and pay extra for on the MDR menu, but the options on the menu that are inclusive are wonderful and a good variety. There are pay restaurants on just about every mass cruise line these days, you either choose to go or you don't. We have only tried two specialty restaurants in all our cruises, Chops and Johnny Rockets. We find that the complimentary food offerings are enough and fine for us. If you want to celebrate something special, then maybe a specialty restaurant might be the option, but no one is forcing your hand to do that.

You will find the entertainment far exceeds your expectations, and the activities on board will give you plenty of things to do.

Go, enjoy and remember it's a vacation!!! :D:D:D

All of this talk of free food has gotten me thinking about my favorite appetizer... escargot! :) On my last 2 cruises, they've had it on the menu every night (even though there was talk of a "shortage"). Yummy balls of goodness in a butter sauce... Can't wait until my next cruise :)

Last year around this time they had scallops instead of escargot nightly.