How much more do I need?

wishfulone

We're booked on our first cruise with Royal Caribbean and everything I read says I need to pay out. Posts I've read say you even have to pay for certain meals in the MDR. That's got to be wrong. Surely all meals in the MDR are free? Are there any meals included in the cost of your cruise? And do you have to pay for soap in your cabin?

There is a up charge in the dining room if you want a different steak or lobster and maybe, if I recall correctly, specialty coffee. Everything else is included in your cruise fare. Of course there are the specialty restaurants/sweet shop as well but you will find no shortage of included options. There is food everywhere. In fact, our last cruise was the first time we've ever paid for a specialty restaurant. We did not have to pay for soap either.

RCCL is not the only line that has a selection of paid "options" on the MDR menu- yes a larger lobster tail every night as opposed to just on the one night(which at least they still offer several lines have stopped that night altogether), a larger steak and a filet mignon. Those aren't new an aren't new to just RCCL.

We were on board in October and will get back on board in October, we could have easily gotten away with no extra charges on board had we wanted to. Yes we bought the drink package , but would have had to do that on any line. We bought pictures and did dinner at Giovanni's one night and some other random stuff because we were trying to use up on board credit. There are plenty of complimentary options

MDR (there's plenty of options with out buying one of the few upgrades), windjammer, wipe out, Sorrentos, park cafe, cafe promenade (food not drinks without a package , on carnival the food at their coffee stand is a pay option), solarium (breakfast and lunch- rumor is starting 2 weeks ago dinner is comp as well), Boardwalk dog, Johnny Rockets at breakfast.

Yes there are more paid options on board than most other ships - then again what's NCCl snd Carnivals biggest a ships 160k vs 229k with 6,200 passengers? The small carnival we were on in March still had two paid restaurants. Oasis has Sabor, vintages, chops, 150, Izumi, Giovanni's, Johnny Rockets at lunch and dinner, Chefs table and jury is out on Solarium. They don't pressure you are try to get you to purchase, we walked in and looked around each one aside from chefs table and were told to let them know if we had any questions.

Otherwise you pay for alcohol, shopping, spa visits, some of the classes at the gym, martini clinic (we paid for it on carnival as well), photos- pretty much all the same things you pay for on any cruise line.

I'm trying to figure out how any of this is a surprise? Even before our first Oasis trip we knew what were things we'd be paying for and they aren't any different than any other line. We knew there'd be upgrade items at the MDR because there are on other lines we've traveled as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I cruise on RCCL often, although we have not been on a cruise in a couple of years. We do not have many alcoholic beverages. We also find all they non alcoholic beverages we need in the Windjammer that are no cost and readily available. Therefore, we do not need to purchase a drink package. We each buy one bottle of water, and just refill the bottle for the week (tap water is fine for us). We enjoy the main dinning room food and find that most of the waiters/waitresses will go out of their way to make sure you enjoy the dinning experience. For example, one evening my wife and I ordered appetizers, but asked about a different appetizer. The waiter brought us the appetizer to share and taste. 2 years ago, we were on a cruise over US Independence Day. A day before, myself and my table mates mentioned how nice it would be to have apple pie and ice cream for dessert at dinner. At dinner on Independence Day, the waitress had apple pie and ice cream (for our table only) for us in addition to the dessert we ordered on the menu, AT NO COST! Earlier in the day, there were giant, US flag shaped cakes on the pool deck that were served AT NO COST for everyone on board. For my wife and I, we tend to notice the ways RC ship staff go the extra mile for us. I guess value is where you see it and different for each person.

Edited by Lazz

We've never felt the need to eat in any of the Specialty restaurants and never paid for the upcharge lobster tail or steak in the MDR...and we've enjoyed every meal. On lobster night, they are free. I have a 22 year old grandson who is skinny, but LOVES to eat. He has been Diamond on his own status since he was 16 and on our last cruise, he had 4 lobster dinners, 2 appetizers (he loves the escargot) and 2 desserts in the MDR...ALL FREE. He gets the escargot every night...in multiples because he says it's better than at any restaurant on land where he's had it. I go to the Promenade Cafe for a quick sandwich or a dessert during the day or late at night or maybe a morning snack before everyone is ready to go to breakfast. I love having breakfast in the MDR. Part of our group loves the Windjammer and they go there (ALL FREE).

We pay for the soda card, buy our drinks by-the-drink because we don't drink enough to break even with the drink package. We bring two bottles of wine on board (yes, allowed), and get a couple of wine glasses from our steward. We order from room service (free) and have cheese and fruit with our wine, along with the dip and tortilla chips (free). Other than gratuities, there no obligation or really any need to buy anything else, for us at least.

I would hate to go on a cruise or a land vacation that I was already deeming to be a waste of my money. For us, it's a great vacation. I hope you'll let us know when you return, if you have had a change of heart and mind. I can't imagine not having a good time on a cruise.

We've never felt the need to eat in any of the Specialty restaurants and never paid for the upcharge lobster tail or steak in the MDR...and we've enjoyed every meal. On lobster night, they are free. I have a 22 year old grandson who is skinny, but LOVES to eat. He has been Diamond on his own status since he was 16 and on our last cruise, he had 4 lobster dinners, 2 appetizers (he loves the escargot) and 2 desserts in the MDR...ALL FREE. He gets the escargot every night...in multiples because he says it's better than at any restaurant on land where he's had it. I go to the Promenade Cafe for a quick sandwich or a dessert during the day or late at night or maybe a morning snack before everyone is ready to go to breakfast. I love having breakfast in the MDR. Part of our group loves the Windjammer and they go there (ALL FREE).

We pay for the soda card, buy our drinks by-the-drink because we don't drink enough to break even with the drink package. We bring two bottles of wine on board (yes, allowed), and get a couple of wine glasses from our steward. We order from room service (free) and have cheese and fruit with our wine, along with the dip and tortilla chips (free). Other than gratuities, there no obligation or really any need to buy anything else, for us at least.

I would hate to go on a cruise or a land vacation that I was already deeming to be a waste of my money. For us, it's a great vacation. I hope you'll let us know when you return, if you have had a change of heart and mind. I can't imagine not having a good time on a cruise.

Especially with all the great entertainment and other activities that are also free on board. It's hard not to enjoy yourself especially on an Oasis class (what the poster is supposedly on)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you're sorely mistaken . You do not HAVE to pay for anything. Its your cruise. If you CHOOSE to pay for the lobster, than you may..................

Venues/activities without a fee: Rock wall, zip line, pools, shows (at least Many people spend very little on board. The good news is, how much you spend is absolutely up to you. This is the same of ALL cruise lines, even Azamara, Cunard, and other luxury lines. Enjoy your cruise.

Very true. You don't have to spend one extra penny during your entire cruise if you don't want to do so. On our last Allure cruise, we hadn't even used our $100 OBC so we decided to go to Izumi on the last night to use it up. Granted, we paid ahead of time for our Chops meal, but my point is that you don't have to spend any extra money and you will still have a wonderful time if you go with the right attitude. Negativity before a cruise will guarantee you a lousy trip. Please go and have a good time. Oasis is a great ship.

We do not pay for the up graded restaurants on a cruise. Once we used a TA and she gave us a free lunch ( on a HAL cruise) at one and it wasn't any better than the MDR . When we were on Oasis my husband did pay the $25 a person for he and I to go to a lunch buffet at the Chinese restaurant because there were lobster tail as part of it and he knows I can eat my weight in lobster:D. Other than that we have never done the up pay places to eat. I enjoy the MDR I don't have an issue finding something delicious to eat every night ( nor do my husband or daughters). On one of the formal nights ( on a 7 night there are 2) they have a "fisherman's platter" it is the lobster tail. I find them to be very good albeit a bit small, which is why I usually eat 2. I could eat more :) but I think that would make me look a bit piggish ;). Don't fear the negative reviews you can't please everyone. Look up reviews on your absolute favorite thing and you will find people out there who find it utterly horrid! I look at reviews for things and then take it with a grain of salt. Some of the best places we have been have had the worst reviews. It's all in who is writing the review and how high they had their expectations, If you think everything should be perfect you'll always be let down. If you think your going to enjoy it and let it be an adventure you'll find you enjoy things much more! Oh I've also done a cruise with no drink package and never paid for a drink. I am not much on alcohol just a huge soda drinker but that time I drank water and sugar free flavored drinks and water flavored with fruit they had in jugs on the promenade ( I think that was a Freedom cruise ) . I never went hungry or thirsty on a cruise and I've enjoyed everyone so far!

No free roomservice on NCL. The meal is free but convenience charge you pay per trip.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

We are from Australia.

Have only sailed Princess.

We get this dining concept or explanation fully.

Eat in the M.D.R, and have the option of ordering spec rest meals for an up-charge.

This is a great option.

One could go to the M.D.R and change their mind and order, a spec meal, without having to go to spec rest.

Totally enjoy reading other cruise line forums, diff from Princess, sort of different people.

Anyways if I get slammed, at least I got some popcorn.:eek::)