Replacing Polo Grill or Toscana with Red Ginger in Regatta, Nautica and Insignia?

AirSeaLand2

This talk about switching out the Specialty Restaurants on the older, smaller ships has been making the rounds ever since the Marina was introduced.

I broached the subject with a very wise Oceania official at about that time and his reply was:

"If we do change the Specialty Restaurants:

30% of the Passengers will call us geniuses

30% will say that switching them is the single worst decision made since man took to the sea in ships

30% will insist that the new configuration is the way that the Restaurants were ALWAYS set up.

10% will provide affidavits that they were never informed that the Specialty Restaurants existed, and will demand compensation."

The restaurants will be changed on the R ships in the following order..

Nautica in October 2017 is the next

Regatta in April 2018 and Insignia in 2020.

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I am tired of polo and Toscana but not a fan of red ginger other than the sea bass. I don't know how folks on the world cruise could eat in those two restaurants over and over. It would be great to have restaurants that rotate or at least rotate the menu

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems like some of those who have been on Oceania on a regular basis are getting fed up with the same offerings of speciality restaurants.

Sure, we could think of more ideas to convey to Oceania management (whether they will take it up is another matter!). For example, how about

Oceania having Spanish Tapas Style and Chinese Dim-Sum offerings for lunch time in both the GDR and Terrace Cafe on certain days?

What I sometimes wonder is how one is expected to travel on Oceania cruises 15 times or more and not start to get a bit jaded and bored? For me, after just 12 days on an Oceania cruise, even though I enjoyed the cruise, I would be glad to go home. There is a very limited number of speciality restaurants on board. The entertainment could be considered as predictable. The steaks and lobsters might start getting a bit "boring". There is not much to watch on TV except some movies and world news repeated over and over again . Activities on board are limited and tends to be similar. The boutique only seems to have a small selection of over-priced items, and mostly for women - and there is not much to buy there anyway. There are only so many ports in the world to visit, and after travelling a number of cruises, one might find there are not that many more "new ports" and destinations to explore. Will there come a time when some of these cruisers either to turn to other luxury cruise lines for a change (Viking, Seabourn, Crystal, etc) or even to other types of luxury non-cruise based holidays? One of the reasons one goes on holiday is to experience something new, isn't it? If Oceania is not offering anything new, would they move on somewhere else , or just stick with this cruise company for ever and ever?

Edited by AirSeaLand2

We may be somewhat bored with the food but we don't choose Oceania for the food. Certainly not the entertainment. It's ship size ambiance and fellow passengers that keep calling us back. But for a cruiseline that deservedly boasts the finest cuisine at sea I think they could mix it up a bit especially because they have so many repeat customers.

On our cruise in July they were going around the terrace in the am soliciting guests for the specialties. We were not the only ones who politely declined

On that cruise(nautica) they had to hold two Oceania club parties so there were many repeaters on board

Edited by bitob

maybe they need to revamp the menus for the specialties but the last time they did this people were moaning about the dishes they loved were now gone from the menu

so they are in a no win situation

Some people must like Oceania as they have several people with 50+ cruises on board

I admit by the end of 3 wks on the ship I do get a bit bored with some of the offering but it beats having to cook & clean at home :D

If you are bored after a 10 day cruise Oceania may not be the right line for you

YMMV

Agree. Oceania is for people who keep themselves occupied and entertained. It is not for those who expect the ship to entertain them. We have met many first time o cruisers who come from more mainstream lines and complain of being bored. Not surprised.

That's interesting what you said.

Perhaps Oceania ought to go even one step further , reinvent and introduce more new themed restaurants that would serve food with an extra "theatrical flare" plus entertainment? To start with some ideas, how about:

1) A Spanish/Latin American or Churrascaria restaurant with Latin Singers and Dancers?

2) A Polynesian Restaurant serving Luau and having Polynesian entertainment?

3) A Seafood restaurant specializing in fresh catch-of-the-day from local ports of call, not the frozen types you get from Miami, FL ! Or maybe there could even be a tank where diners can select their fish fresh?

4) A Turkish/Middle-Eastern restaurant with waiters dressed in Arabian Night costumes , and complemented by entertainment with belly dancers?

5) The Waves restaurant would have more of a beach theme with waiters and waitresses in swimsuits (if it is not too politically incorrect)!

Perhaps other cruisers have some other ideas and suggestions?

You left out the Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant with the dancing knives show :D

Agree. Oceania is for people who keep themselves occupied and entertained. It is not for those who expect the ship to entertain them. We have met many first time o cruisers who come from more mainstream lines and complain of being bored. Not surprised.

Well said and I couldn't agree more. O hits the "sweet spot" for us.

That's interesting what you said.

Perhaps Oceania ought to go even one step further , reinvent and introduce more new themed restaurants ....

Perhaps other cruisers have some other ideas and suggestions?

I suspect that Oceania knows its patrons through research. (Does this account for the popularity of Polo (Steakhouse) and Toscana (Italian) or the 32 oz Porterhouse and Prime Rib on the menu).

As such perhaps they should consider:

- a 4:00 early bird sitting

- an option to allow a combo for any entree

- an option to supersize any entree

- "doggie bags"

- a question "will there be any fries with that" upon ordering

- a mint on a little tray to submit tips after every meal

[written with tongue in cheek before anyone becomes offended]

You left out the Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant with the dancing knives show :D

I know that you said this jokingly but Teppanyaki was our favorite restaurant on our only NCL cruise. Not for the dancing knives -- although it was fun - but for the good food.

Personally, I'd be happy to trade it for Toscana (hold the flames :D)

Edited by Paulchili

I am tired of polo and Toscana but not a fan of red ginger other than the sea bass. I don't know how folks on the world cruise could eat in those two restaurants over and over. It would be great to have restaurants that rotate or at least rotate the menu

If you are tired of Oceania food, go on just one HAL cruise. You will never complain about Oceania food again. After one dinner in the MDR and one in their version of Toscana, we paid extra and ate every night in their specialty grill restaurant. I said I was going on that cruise for the itinerary and not the food, but that attitude lasted only three days. Oceania absolutely spoils you with their food. If begging would help, I would eat over and over again in their specialty restaurants.

If you are tired of Oceania food, go on just one HAL cruise. You will never complain about Oceania food again. After one dinner in the MDR and one in their version of Toscana, we paid extra and ate every night in their specialty grill restaurant. I said I was going on that cruise for the itinerary and not the food, but that attitude lasted only three days. Oceania absolutely spoils you with their food. If begging would help, I would eat over and over again in their specialty restaurants.

LOL - there really are no words to describe "Canaletto".

LOL - there really are no words to describe "Canaletto".

Agreed! I made the mistake of reserving it for the formal night thinking it was like Toscana. I felt so foolish in my cocktail dress. On Oceania, I wouldn't dream of showing up in jeans at a specialty restaurant. But then that might just be me growing up in Atlanta where we would go downtown on a Sunday in a Sunday dress, gloves and heels.

If you are tired of Oceania food, go on just one HAL cruise. You will never complain about Oceania food again.

I agree

Canaletto was OK but you are part of the buffet area so not really special ;)

Cannot remember the name of the other pay for restaurant

most of the dinner was good but they served us uncooked chocolate lava cake or whatever is was suppose to be ..some how it by passed the oven on the way to the table :eek:

I know that you said this jokingly but Teppanyaki was our favorite restaurant on our only NCL cruise. Not for the dancing knives -- although it was fun - but for the good food.

Personally, I'd be happy to trade it for Toscana (hold the flames :D)

Half joking (the knives part)-- since the reply was directed on a mostly NCL list.

1) Steak

2) Italian

3) Brazil BBQ

4) French

5) Seafood

6) Teppanyaki

It certainly would be a change and could see something like that with a full Japanese menu.

A good Japanese restaurant would be a plus. I find the limited sushi menu on Terrace unsatisfactory. Crystal has a great venue called Silk Road along with their Sushi Bar.

Edited by PaulMCO

I was on the Sirena on its second cruise. I felt the combination of Polo and Toscana left us with a watered down selection of each menu.:( As for Jacques at noon, there wasn't a lot of the type of selections we would have had at the Jacques on the big ships. Plus with the tours offered at ports made it hard to be back at noon to eat at the GDR.:( It might be better to have a few more offerings from Jacques and Red Ginger in the GDR each night and keep Polo and Toscana as the two Specialty Restaurants.

An interesting take on the subject and it seems to make some sense. Especially as Jacques is my favorite on the O ships. Also, it would depend on whether they left out MY favorites from either or both Polo and Toscana (and this would be different for each of us). If my favorites from both were kept, then I would be happy; if not then I might not be very happy :)

This, of course, is without experiencing Sirena myself as yet. This will be rectified in Dec when we will sail on Sirena.

Have to see how I feel about this afterwards.

Edited by Paulchili

i think many passengers will agree that the "fusion" asian-western style of red ginger adds another dimension to the cuisine offered by oceania - a style which is quite different from that offered in any of its other restaurants. Dare i suggest it could even be a "first" for any restaurant at sea offering such imaginative cuisine (correct me if i am mistaken!) however, the red ginger is only available on the riviera, marina and the sirena, and not on its other ships.

I just wondered what would be your view if red ginger were to replace either the polo grill (or toscana) on the regatta, nautica and insignia as well?

no!!

Edited by umtali

I was on the Sirena on its second cruise. I felt the combination of Polo and Toscana left us with a watered down selection of each menu.:( As for Jacques at noon, there wasn't a lot of the type of selections we would have had at the Jacques on the big ships. Plus with the tours offered at ports made it hard to be back at noon to eat at the GDR.:( It might be better to have a few more offerings from Jacques and Red Ginger in the GDR each night and keep Polo and Toscana as the two Specialty Restaurants.

Agree

I hope Oceania looks at this issue carefully before doing the conversion on the other three ships. Why do all 4 r ships have to be identical in terms of restaurant offerings? Put Jacques on two of them and turn the gdr into red ginger at lunch. Then we can go to waves or the terrace

Why do all 4 r ships have to be identical in terms of restaurant offerings? Put Jacques on two of them and turn the gdr into red ginger at lunch. Then we can go to waves or the terrace

now that would confuse people more the the R ships & O class ships

it is Ok for those that cruise just for the ships

I don't think so

Celebrity e.g. Has five solstice class ships. While they are largely similar to one another they do not have identical restaurants in all 5. They all have murano and Tuscan grille but some have Qsine or silk harvest or lawn grille. I think Oceania cruisers are smart enough to deal with some different tweaks on the r ships

I don't think so

Celebrity e.g. Has five solstice class ships. While they are largely similar to one another they do not have identical restaurants in all 5. They all have murano and Tuscan grille but some have Qsine or silk harvest or lawn grille. I think Oceania cruisers are smart enough to deal with some different tweaks on the r ships

maybe the regular O cruisers can deal with it but maybe not the new people

YMMD

Totally agree. We were on the inaugural and felt that Jacques in the GDR at lunch had no where near the offerings as the restaurant on the O ships in the evening. We much preferred the regular and varied GDR menu at lunch before they merged Jacques into the GDR and Jacques was our favorite. And as you stated, we were only able to make it to the GDR for lunch once due to the early closing.