Help from Anthem Cruisers

Hlitner

DW and I used to be big RCCL (RCI) fans (our DD was Diamond by age 15) but we gave up on the line about 8 years ago...when we decided that RCI had traded quality and service for massive ships and mediocrity. But we are still avid cruisers (over 100 days this year) and have been considering trying the Anthem (for their 12 day Caribbean cruise). So being long time CC lovers we just spend some time reading passenger reviews...and after the first 30 reviews were totally dismayed. When you put the reviews together you get bad service, mediocre/cold food, lines for everything, sullen staff, etc.

So folks, what are we missing here? Have been around cruising for over forty years....and have seldom seen such consistently sub-standard reviews. Is it really that bad?

Just to give some background, we have been on far more then 100 cruises with 14 cruise lines. When it comes to dining we prefer open dining and tend to just show-up at a MDR around 8 or 8:15 and ask to share a large table (love meeting new folks). We do generally go to shows....but have never been on a cruise where we had to make reservations for entertainment (other then the ice shows on the Voyager Class).

Hank:eek:

DW and I used to be big RCCL (RCI) fans (our DD was Diamond by age 15) but we gave up on the line about 8 years ago...when we decided that RCI had traded quality and service for massive ships and mediocrity. But we are still avid cruisers (over 100 days this year) and have been considering trying the Anthem (for their 12 day Caribbean cruise). So being long time CC lovers we just spend some time reading passenger reviews...and after the first 30 reviews were totally dismayed. When you put the reviews together you get bad service, mediocre/cold food, lines for everything, sullen staff, etc.

So folks, what are we missing here? Have been around cruising for over forty years....and have seldom seen such consistently sub-standard reviews. Is it really that bad?

Just to give some background, we have been on far more then 100 cruises with 14 cruise lines. When it comes to dining we prefer open dining and tend to just show-up at a MDR around 8 or 8:15 and ask to share a large table (love meeting new folks). We do generally go to shows....but have never been on a cruise where we had to make reservations for entertainment (other then the ice shows on the Voyager Class).

Hank:eek:

Hank, book this January and I'll make sure that you see and do everything and have a great time.

;)

Here are 23 days of Cruise Compasses, just to get an idea of how much there is to do:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2324095

Here's a review from last week:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2400182

I was on the Anthem last month.... it quickly became my favorite ship of all time. I think the layout and the flow were just great. As far as the food was concerned, it was typical cruise food. I always found something I liked. The crew were friendly and hard working. I had read all the negative reviews prior to cruising, but found no evidence of all the complaints. I, and my entire group of 27 family members, had an absolutely wonderful time.

Just off the Anthem and really enjoyed everything except the food and disembarking was wonderful. Other then the first and last days it never felt crowded. Enjoyed all the shows and entertainment very much. NorthStar was fun and the puzzle room was the most fun activity ever. Wonderland and Izumi were very good. Jamie's was good. We did not care for the Solarium Bistro, American Icon or Silk. Chic was the best of the complimentary restaurants. We did not eat in Grande because we did not want to go formal. The pool areas were great and not crowded. They need to find a more efficient way to get off. We had a 2pm flight and I was starting to worry. It would be nice if in New Brunswick they would find a way to get all the people cleared quickly too. We had to wait for a couple about 45 min. The couple was just standing in line while they called their name over and over. Sigh.

Hank, book this January and I'll make sure that you see and do everything and have a great time.

;)

Here are 23 days of Cruise Compasses, just to get an idea of how much there is to do:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2324095

Here's a review from last week:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2400182

We did see that review :). But perhaps we should explain what we look for on a cruise...which is part of the reason we abandoned RCI a few years ago. We could care less about activities on sea days...as DW and I are quite happy to relax in a deck chair with our Kindles. So the CD means little to us, and you will not see us at "sales," Bingo, art auctions, games, etc. We do care about the ability to find a comfy deck chair (it does not have to be close to the pool). Our priorities on a ship are cuisine, service (including wine service at dinner), and what we call "queue avoidance." We do not cruise so that we can wait in lines....and we do not cruise so that we need to make advance reservations. For us, we prefer to do what feels right at the time....be it spending another hour in a bar with new friends, going to lunch late, etc.

On a recent 55 day HAL cruise we never struggled to find a table in the buffet areas for breakfast or lunch. If we wanted to dine at 8, we just showed-up at the door and were usually seated within 5 minutes. If we showed up at 7:30....we might have waited 10 minutes (no biggie). When we wanted to go to a production show, we simply walked in the theater a minute before the performance and found a seat. When we wanted a glass (or bottle) of wine at dinner...there was usually a wine steward at our table within a few minutes who took care of our needs.

When we cruise on Celebrity we also have a similar experience...although one can sometimes wait 10-15 min to get seated in the MDR (not a problem when we do Aqua Class and dine in Blu). But again, when we want to go to a show we simply go, find a seat, and enjoy. No need to plan a month (or a day ) in advance to see a show...or (horrors) to wait in line for a reservation. In fact, having spent years on dozens of different cruise ships we have never had to make reservations for anything other then an alternative restaurant.

So I read the Anthem reviews and it sounds like there are lines for everything and you need reservations for just about everything from a meal to a show. More then 75% of Anthem reviews mention waiting in lines, not being able to find seats in the Windjammer, etc. And 20+ minutes to wait for an Omelet? Tell me this is not true. On our Princess, HAL or Celebrity cruises we never have to wait very long to get an Omelet...and always manage to find a table in the buffet for breakfast or lunch. And waiting in a long line for ice cream (a few reviews mentioned this issue)? Surely this cannot be true. Princess used to have a line problem for afternoon ice cream (in their Lido)...but they corrected that problem by simply keeping their ice cream bar open all day.

Hank

"Is it really that bad?"

YES

Everything you love about cruising you will not find on the Anthem. Run, don't walk to another cruise line.

I totally disagree with you. Anthem is awesome!:)

To the OP, Hlitner, We had no lines at all, but we did have reservations for everything.

Yes, the Windjammer can get crowded, but we solved that by adjusting our schedule by an hour and did not eat there at top times.

Also Anthem does not have a lot of indoor window seating as she is more closed in. I feel as if the lack of windows would not be to your liking and you may feel as if you are cruising in a shopping mall. If you have a large balcony/suite and can eat in Coastal Kitchen, it may work, but you need reservations for that too.

By what you said in your post, I don't think the Anthem is for you......but we loved her! Have a great cruise where ever you choose. :)

I do not feel this is the ship for you, but I think you can have a good experience if you book strategically. You should be ok if you cruise off-peak (no summer or holidays) and book specialty dining. Book a balcony to ensure quiet outside time.

Not needing to see shows from the best seat or do every activity will put you ahead of the game, satisfaction-wise. Trying to do everything makes you feel the competition from your fellow passengers.

The 'free' food was very mediocre. Book specialty to avoid this and the competition for the free dining venues. I thought WJ was very good for a buffet, but competition for seats is indeed fierce; go early or late to avoid the worst of it.

I felt the ship was crowded, but we cruised in August, and there were many families onboard. The ship may feel less crowded off-peak.

ps I thought the crew was very pleasant and willing to help, but many were stretched beyond what they should have to do (waiters/bartenders). They need more crew to service this ship adequately. Overall, ship is beautiful and still feels 'new'. Bring mattress pad.

Edited by marci22

We did see that review :). But perhaps we should explain what we look for on a cruise...which is part of the reason we abandoned RCI a few years ago. We could care less about activities on sea days...as DW and I are quite happy to relax in a deck chair with our Kindles. So the CD means little to us, and you will not see us at "sales," Bingo, art auctions, games, etc. We do care about the ability to find a comfy deck chair (it does not have to be close to the pool). Our priorities on a ship are cuisine, service (including wine service at dinner), and what we call "queue avoidance." We do not cruise so that we can wait in lines....and we do not cruise so that we need to make advance reservations. For us, we prefer to do what feels right at the time....be it spending another hour in a bar with new friends, going to lunch late, etc.

On a recent 55 day HAL cruise we never struggled to find a table in the buffet areas for breakfast or lunch. If we wanted to dine at 8, we just showed-up at the door and were usually seated within 5 minutes. If we showed up at 7:30....we might have waited 10 minutes (no biggie). When we wanted to go to a production show, we simply walked in the theater a minute before the performance and found a seat. When we wanted a glass (or bottle) of wine at dinner...there was usually a wine steward at our table within a few minutes who took care of our needs.

When we cruise on Celebrity we also have a similar experience...although one can sometimes wait 10-15 min to get seated in the MDR (not a problem when we do Aqua Class and dine in Blu). But again, when we want to go to a show we simply go, find a seat, and enjoy. No need to plan a month (or a day ) in advance to see a show...or (horrors) to wait in line for a reservation. In fact, having spent years on dozens of different cruise ships we have never had to make reservations for anything other then an alternative restaurant.

So I read the Anthem reviews and it sounds like there are lines for everything and you need reservations for just about everything from a meal to a show. More then 75% of Anthem reviews mention waiting in lines, not being able to find seats in the Windjammer, etc. And 20+ minutes to wait for an Omelet? Tell me this is not true. On our Princess, HAL or Celebrity cruises we never have to wait very long to get an Omelet...and always manage to find a table in the buffet for breakfast or lunch. And waiting in a long line for ice cream (a few reviews mentioned this issue)? Surely this cannot be true. Princess used to have a line problem for afternoon ice cream (in their Lido)...but they corrected that problem by simply keeping their ice cream bar open all day.

Hank

Wait until next fall and take the Vision when she comes to Cape Liberty. ;) :D

.. We do not cruise so that we can wait in lines....and we do not cruise so that we need to make advance reservations. ..

Hank

Anthem is a stunningly beautiful ship, but I don't think she's the ship for you.

If you are at all interested in seeing the main shows, you need reservations or you'll have to take your chances waiting in a long standby line. And dinners did not work all that well without reservations either, although we did wind up changing ours around a good deal after we boarded. We had DD Choice (no idea what the ship will be like once RCI gets rid of DD altogether).

As I said in my very detailed review of our cruise (linked in my sig below), I very much enjoy pre-trip planning, but our TA on Anthem took far too much planning. We'd have our dinners set, then RCI would release the entertainment schedule, and we'd have to re-arrange dinners. Then RCI would change the entertainment schedule, and we'd have to juggle our dining reservations again. This happened several times pre-cruise.

We really enjoy Celebrity's "select" dining. Anthem did not pull off anything like this.