Question about Princess Platinum Insurance

YaddaBest

I know that I have always gotten the automatic upgrade from Gold Insurance to Platinum being Elite status. Does anyone know whether my Cabin mate gets that status as well. I think you get this upon becoming Platinum after is it 8 cruises. I would appreciate your input.

For starters, you reach Platinum after 5 cruises or 50 nights. Not sure what you mean by the reference to 8 cruises.

Be very careful about travel insurance thru the cruise lines. You can typically get more coverage at a better price by going private. All insurance looks great until you need to use it.

The upgrade to Platinum Princess Vacation Protection at the standard rate is available to any passenger with Capatain's Circle status of Ruby or higher. As said above it is based on each individual passenger's status; the status of the primary on the booking does not "pass through" to the others.

For starters' date=' you reach Platinum after 5 cruises or 50 nights. Not sure what you mean by the reference to 8 cruises.

Be very careful about travel insurance thru the cruise lines. You can typically get more coverage at a better price by going private. All insurance looks great until you need to use it.

I agree. Aside from premium rates, you have to compare the individual coverage, exclusions, and $$$ limits

Platinum 6th-15th cruise or 51-150 cruise days.

I just like to say don't go without the insurance. My wife got sick on one of our cruises and by the time we got home the bill was over 10K :eek: your right about qualifying to be platinum. But you both have to be platinum to qualify.

Tony

The upgrade to Platinum Princess Vacation Protection at the standard rate is available to any passenger with Capatain's Circle status of Ruby or higher. As said above it is based on each individual passenger's status; the status of the primary on the booking does not "pass through" to the others.

Platinum 6th-15th cruise or 51-150 cruise days.

OOPs!! It is Ruby. I should have checked before I posted.

You'll almost always do better buying insurance from an outside insurance agency. You can get your hotel, airfare, transfers and other things covered whereas if you use the cruiseline's insurance, that isn't covered at all (air might be covered if you use their air program). Your coverage will be much more comprehensive and if you need to file a claim, you'll usually be reimbursed with cash instead of a voucher for future travel.

• 1 month later...
You'll almost always do better buying insurance from an outside insurance agency. You can get your hotel, airfare, transfers and other things covered whereas if you use the cruiseline's insurance, that isn't covered at all (air might be covered if you use their air program). Your coverage will be much more comprehensive and if you need to file a claim, you'll usually be reimbursed with cash instead of a voucher for future travel.

Coverage via an outside policy indeed can be much better. However, few of those independent policies have a "cancel for any reason" provision as included in the Princess Vacation Protection. If your claim doesn't meet the requirements for cash reimbursement*,

* e.g., you don't meet some arcane pre-existing condition clause, or have to cancel for a "non-covered" reason,

it is a whole lot better to get a credit useable for another cruise (if you have the Princess policy) than to get nothing (if you have a policy without the cancel for any reason provision).

I am not an expert on this by any means. However, for some cruises, we've concluded that we should have both the Princess coverage (mainly for the "cancel for any reason" provision) plus independent coverage (for better medical and air-evacuation coverage, including pre- and post-cruise days, and for cancellation coverage on air or other arrangements paid for independent of Princess).

John

We always get insurance. This summer was the first time we had to use it for canceling a cruise (on HAL). Previously we have had small claims for when DH had a sinus infection on one cruise and visited the ship's doctor for another minor illness on another.

Getting the money back for the cruise portion was easy. I also got our Southwest tickets credited back to me (with a year to spend that money--and I already have spent three-quarters of it for our cruise in December).

I'm still working on getting a refund, credit, or letter from Hotwire confirming the amount of money spent on the hotel we did not use. My credit card has travel protection that will refund the money if Hotwire doesn't come through.

DH and I are elite, we had our granddaughter in our cabin for her first cruise, since she was traveling as a third in our cabin she was also bumped up to platinum insurance, however when my daughter and I went I was bumped up, she was not (she was was Gold card at the time)

Depending on who is going, when, where and whether or not we use Princess Air we choose accordingly. Cancel for any reason is nice, but won't cover your air if you don't book with Princess. Our TA got cheaper coverage for us on our Alaska trips and it covered our self booked air and had much higher medical coverage.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

The benefits begins after your third cruise and become a Ruby Captain's Circle Member.

From Princess Cruises:

"As a Ruby Member, when you purchase Princess Vacation Protection at the standard rate, Princess will purchase an upgrade to Princess Platinum Vacation Protection automatically on your behalf."

We always get insurance. This summer was the first time we had to use it for canceling a cruise (on HAL). Previously we have had small claims for when DH had a sinus infection on one cruise and visited the ship's doctor for another minor illness on another.

Getting the money back for the cruise portion was easy. I also got our Southwest tickets credited back to me (with a year to spend that money--and I already have spent three-quarters of it for our cruise in December).

I'm still working on getting a refund, credit, or letter from Hotwire confirming the amount of money spent on the hotel we did not use. My credit card has travel protection that will refund the money if Hotwire doesn't come through.

Just to throw out another opinion, I have had to use it twice and both times my cash refund was received promptly. As far as not being able to use the hotel in full, go back to Princess insurance and file the claim under "trip interruption". Hope that helps.

Had a table mate a few cruises ago that said he had a heart attack on the ship, needed an air medivac to the US, air medivac from that hospital to his home hospital. Princess arranged everything. That is important. Princess insurance paid over 100k.