Today's Dinner Dress Attire

dkotch23

Good evening all,

I'm currently booked on the Carnival Magic in April for what will be my 8th cruise all with Carnival. As the years and cruises go by, the dress in the main dining room has definitely changed. I've have always been a dress slacks and button down shirt with dress shoes on casual nights and Full Suit and tie for the elegant nights. As I watch and see what comes through the dining room these days, I'm wondering is khaki shorts with a button down shirt or polo with a pair of boat shoes is considered acceptable on today's casual dining nights. It would def help me cut down on my packing and also would def be a little more comfortable, but I don't want to look like a bum. Feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Edited by dkotch23

Good evening all,

I'm currently booked on the Carnival Magic in April for what will be my 8th cruise all with Carnival. As the years and cruises go by, the dress in the main dining room has definitely changed. I've have always been a dress slacks and button down shirt with dress shoes on casual nights and Full Suit and tie for the elegant nights. As I watch and see what comes through the dining room these days, I'm wondering is khaki shorts with a button down shirt or polo with a pair of boat shoes is considered acceptable on today's casual dining nights. It would def help me cut down on my packing and also would def be a little more comfortable, but I don't want to look like a bum. Feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Yup. And if you feel like wearing a Tux, good for you. I'll be in cargo shorts and a polo enjoying my cruise. How about you?

Good evening all,

Yes it is.

Yup. And if you feel like wearing a Tux, good for you. I'll be in cargo shorts and a polo enjoying my cruise. How about you?

Cargos are fine for Casual nights....For Elegant evenings, pack the Dockers

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Dress shorts are allowed.

So sad...I'm 37 and I remember when elegant night meant tuxes or suit and tie. No shorts allowed...*sigh*

I think you misread what was being said. Carnival has changed their policy so that dress shorts are allowed on casual nights. They are still not allowed on formal night.

Times have changed and people are dressing more casually these days whether we like it or not.

Way back when-folks got dressed up to fly in planes and go to the theater. Now folks dress more comfortably for travel and wear whatever they please to the theater!

Carnival is changing with the times.

We still dress up for dinner. On casual nights, my husband & grown son wear dress pants with either a button down shirt & tie or a polo/golf shirt. On elegant/formal night, they both wear a suit. My son usually has a matching vest also.

My daughter & I wear 'sunday' dresses, sun dresses, or dress pant type capri pants with a dressy top. On elegant/formal night, we wear fancier dresses.

It does mean we have more luggage, but we enjoy it.

Good evening all,

You will be absolutely fine. What you used to wear on Casual nights is now what I wear on Elegant nights. I don't like to wear shorts to dinner, but I do wear a nice pair of jeans and a button down shirt on casual nights. Then on formal nights I wear a button down shirt and slacks. All I have to do is change back into jeans after dinner and I'm ready for the rest of the night's activities

We still dress up and to us that is tuxedo and gown or cocktail dress. That's part of the cruise experience to us. People come to our table and tell my husband how nice he looks. My DGD5 had men come up to us and ask for a photo with her as she looked like a princess. I'm not a fan of the new dress code, but I don't let it ruin my cruise.

Yes, that is fine if you are comfortable wearing shorts to the MDR on casual night.

We still like to dress up a bit, sun dress or nice pants and top for me, Dockers and nice polo shirt for my husband on casual nights. Gown for me and full suit for husband on Elegant evening. But that's us - we enjoy it. It doesn't matter to us if others don't want to dress up.

I have to say, on last year's cruise, I saw a LOT of full length gowns and nice suits on Elegant night. I was happy to see it...

I imagine my H will also still wear pants to the dining room, but his plan is only to bring a navy summer weight blazer and shirt and tie for dress up nights. I imagine he will be just fine. I'm only packing sundresses including a plain little black dress and some blingier jewelry and silver sandals for dress up nights. It's helpful for the packing and airlines regulations too. I think you just dress for the cruiseline you are on so it's all good.

On the Dream in January, several men were stopped at the door in shorts and told to put on long pants. I have never seen T-shirts on Elegant night. I think the Maitre'd was pressed to his decision by several guests pointing out the shorts and expressing their displeasure.