25 year old couple on HAL

deedee1234deedee12345

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are thinking of the Holland America 14 night southern Caribbean cruise from Jan 13-27. I love the drink package that was included and ports of call, but I am nervous. I have been reading all sorts of reviews that says HAL is only for older cruisers. My boyfriend and I definitely want to be after to have activities and bar nightlife after 10PM. I can deal with the older average age of the crowd if at least there are some people our age and the "bars" would still be lively after 10PM. Can someone please tell me if there will be others our age or at least a bar scene that doesn't end at 10PM. I really need advice! Thanks!

After 10pm? The good news is the Caribbean cruises are shorter (14 days is short for HAL) and do attract some younger (that would be under 60 in the HAL world) cruisers. But most young adults are not taking 14 day cruises, so there will likely not be a big crowd in your age group. There will be some folks awake after 10, but you are not going to find a large late night crowd similar to what one finds on Carnival or RCI. If you are lucky you will find a few friends with which to hang out for late night fun. But no guarantee.

Hank

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are thinking of the Holland America 14 night southern Caribbean cruise from Jan 13-27. I love the drink package that was included and ports of call, but I am nervous. I have been reading all sorts of reviews that says HAL is only for older cruisers. My boyfriend and I definitely want to be after to have activities and bar nightlife after 10PM. I can deal with the older average age of the crowd if at least there are some people our age and the "bars" would still be lively after 10PM. Can someone please tell me if there will be others our age or at least a bar scene that doesn't end at 10PM. I really need advice! Thanks!

How about recruiting some of your friends to book this cruise too? Then you can all party at the bar as long as you like. The bartenders will probably appreciate a crowd after 10 pm. :D

If not, when the room isn't busy at least the bartenders will give you lots of great service!

I did my first HAL cruise at 47 and honestly, except for a young couple with a baby who were traveling with one of their sets of parents, we were the youngest people onboard. There were 2 or 3 children that came on part way through to visit their ship's officer parent.

We are not late night folks so I can't comment about the after midnight activities....I am sure a bar is still open but I don't think you will find any or many young adult couples.

At 47 we felt young. Very, very young.

I know others will have different opinions, and I am sure you will have a great cruise visiting ports you want to visit. But if you want a lot of young couples to meet, I am not too sure you will find them. We oldsters are fun, but my children are your age.....I get that they would likely choose a line with more activities and a younger demographic. I was going to invite some of my kids on the next cruise and honestly worried they would be bored on the ship.

Edited by alwaysfrantic

Hi,

I'm glad you said "thinking." If you're looking for late night activities and a good bar scene, HAL is not the line for you. Lets put it this way, I'm in my 40s and on our last HAL cruise, the staff jokingly asked my wife and I if we would like to join Club HAL (the kids club).

Northern Lights...if the ship still has it...is the nightclub. However, as you get later into the night, you'll find more off-duty ships' staff members in there than fellow passengers.

Oosterdam has been thru the "remodel" and Northern Lights s gone. Likely most of the action will be at BB King show. I've heard that the Crows nest has pretty much replaced Northern Lights on some cruises. Caribbean may have a younger crowd.

I remember back to my 20's on HAL and I had a great time with the ship staff in the disco at night. Officers, entertainers, shop and spa employees can use the bars on board.

I was in my mid-40s on my first HAL cruise (with my MIL) and I was also probably one of the youngest adults on the ship. On shorter cruises and during holidays, you might find more younger cruisers and families with kids. From what I heard, there were plenty of Aussie families on the cruise I took over the school holidays for Christmas.

But generally, the most "nightlife" you'll likely see on HAL is a stop at the bar for a nightcap after the second show in the theater. If you're willing to sacrifice the club/bar scene in favor of this itinerary, go for it. But if that's an important part of your enjoyment of a cruise, you might want to look elsewhere.

As someone who actually was under 25 on my first HAL cruise - we had a great time. No, there weren't a ton of passengers our ages on board, but then again we didn't hang out with 100s of others our ages at home either. There were enough for us to enjoy our cruise - and return many times. When in ports with other cruise lines I pay attention to the ages of their passengers. I sure haven't noticed significant differences. :rolleyes:

Don't be spooked about all these stories about "old" people on HAL. Yes, the average age is higher than most other lines, but nevertheless, there's always young people to find.

I took my first HAL cruise when I was 22. And 4 years later, I'm still taking at least one each year.

On none of those cruises have I never met someone roughly around my age.

No, there won't be a massive party with dozens of people in their 20's, but you can still have a good time. And in fact, the sports bar will attract the younger people around dinner time (before or after). It's also a good place to hang out with some of the entertainers. Last cruise, I had a wonderful time with some of the band members of BB King's Club and a few of the dancers.

Give HAL a try, and I'm pretty sure you'll be convinced. Unless you're looking for an over the top party crowd to hit the dancefloor every night.

I'm glad your are thinking too. Whether it be a cruise or an all inclusive resort, it has to fit you and what your looking for in a vacation. It requires honesty. For example-If you're single and looking for others, why would you go on a Disney cruise with families? Or If you're in your 20's why would you like to hang out with your parents and Grandparents? Of course, there are interesting people in every age group but it sounds like that's not exactly what you are looking for.

I was in my early 40's and took a river cruise with my 80+ year old Mother and thank god there were a few other "children" my age to relax and hang out on the sun deck on the days at sea. It was a luxury cruise for the 60-70 set and really was too slow for me.

Just think about it and take the comments here and also explore perhaps a shorter cruise with land packages on both ends. Good luck!

Hi,

I love Holland America. But I'm 48 and I'm an early bird, not a night owl. I have two HAL cruises booked next year, and I'm sure I will love both.

I also love Norwegian Cruise Line, and I think it is a much better fit for a 25 year old couple. They offer a variety of sailings to the Southern Caribbean of up to 14 nights on Norwegian Breakaway out of New York the same month you want to sail. That ship offers top notch entertainment, themed dance parties every night and 28 restaurants from casual to formal, but there are no formal nights . There's a ropes course, four water slides, an awesome gym, and no lack of activities past midnight. It was Cruise Critic's best new ship in 2013. And right now you can get unlimited booze and a second perk for less than the price of a HAL cruise.

As I say, I love both lines, but if I was 25 I wouldn't consider HAL. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We've been cruising on HAL with and without kids for 7 years now. We are now in our 40's. Love it. Great people great service. At night, people gamble, watch the great shows, go to the piano bar, etc. It's a lot of fun. It isn't Carnival party time, but people still having fun.

I don't think it would disappoint you.

Agree fellow passengers will be on older side especially on 14 day cruise. We did 7 day last Feb and many more younger passengers on Westerdam, but have always found longer cruises on HAL have few young people. BB King Club, which we enjoy tremendously, has several shows nightly and there is a bar there so that is certainly an option if you enjoy R&B, soul, rock. At your age I would recommend another line for this cruise. That being said, I don't like NCL at all but don't know what your other options are. Princess might be an option. Have fun whatever you decide.

Jane

I agree with others here, the longer the cruise the older the passenger will be regardless of the cruise line you sail. I have been sailing HAL since my mid 20's, well over 30 years and love the line, I like the piano bar, always crowded and lots of fun.

If you are looking for dancing til 3 am, most likely HAL isn't for you, I would check the Carnival board, I sailed the Valor, a 7 day cruise and had a great time, lots of nightlife and a different demographic.

There are lots of cruise lines to chose from, you will find the one that suits you.

Hope this helps, good luck with choosing your perfect cruise.

Did my 1st cruise for my 30th birthday (it was on HAL as they had a great deal) and after 35 years have not stopped yet as love HAL's service and itineraries. The larger the ship, the more opportunities you will have for evening entertainment, i.e. BB King's Blues Club, etc. The Crow's Nest is usually still going after 10 including some officers but if you want a real party atmosphere, agree with others that a different line may work better for you. Carnival is known as a 'party boat' with a younger crowd so that may be an option for you.

Mid January is not the best time to encounter younger people on a cruise. Most of them are back to work, children back to school, after the holidays. Also, sticker shock has set in after holiday expenses, and tax day looms in the future.

A better mix of age groups will be during the Christmas-New Year season, and then next time around the 3rd week in February, when lots of people get a winter break. Usually, the prices will reflect this, too.

We took our first HAL cruise last February. It was a good itinerary (partial canal) and we had a good time. I was 58 , wife was 46 and the couple we travel with were my wife's age.

We were among the younger people on the ship. We did see a couple of mid 20s and one family with a toddler.

We are not party types (don't even drink). The ship was very, very quiet after 9PM. We spent a lot of time in the sports bar watching basketball and talking. Even the piano bar was pretty empty by 10pm.

I have no doubt that the crowd changes depending on the length, time of year and the itinerary. If you want a quiet slow paced cruise it is a good choice.

If you want more activities and higher energy you might want to try another line. We actually prefer Carnival. Things like food are very similar with some things better on Carnival and some better on HAL.

I am sure you can have a good time on HAL just know what to expect.

Note I am 45 & Karen is 49, but in no ways in bed by 10 types.

You'll have a great time in port, but don't expect the life you'd get on NCL/CCL.

Yes there will be some spots that have some "life", but said life most likely will be you, the other couples under 50 (there will be some) and the crew.

If you really want a hopping night life and on a 10+ day cruise on HAL... I'm not sure you're going to get it.

When we book vacations, when we want a chillax on board time getting us from port to port (where we concentrate our fun) we look to HAL & Princess (as I feel they off a comparable product) but when we want excitement in all aspects of a cruise (typically shorter cruises too) we look to NCL/CCL and only will hit HAL/PCL to see if there's some sort of deal too good to pass.

In no ways am I "down" on HAL, they offer a great product!! Just understand the product. Like buying a vehicle, if you had 3 kids and you needed a vehicle to go about your life w said chickabiddies, you'd not buy a 2 seat convertible. Or if you need to haul horses, the convo will not be your choice but that convertible isn't a bad vehicle, just not best suited for your wants/needs.

Perhaps back to back 7nt - especially if the itineraries are different? Would work like a 14nt but change over fresh crowd and either week might be more attractive to younger cruisers. Otherwise from statements on our last TA by people who regularly used NCL it seemed like NCL was much more active and younger crowd than even Royal. Gut feeling would be CCL would be an even more active and younger demographic. But neither would have the upscale (yet mainstream) feel of HAL.